Lap Brake Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cattivo, Oct 7, 2021.

1. cattivo

cattivo Member

On the SF / San Jose line with both the locomotive and the gallery car I'm having a really bad time getting these to work properly. They have worked much better in the past.

I do know how to use this braking system, and this may be a controller issue - I play on PC, but use an xbox controller. I tend to look at the gauge when I use this braking system. Initially set up into Lap, then when I want to brake go into Service until the gauge reads whatever I want it to (usually a bit under 20 for the initial brake), and then back into Lap and if I need a bit more braking back into Service, wait for the gauge to increase then back into Lap. If I need to release I do so, wait for the gauge needles to reset and then brake again as above.

Trouble is that the gauge doesn't show a pressure increase reliably if I try to add more braking, and on occasions, after I release and start again (the needles are reset where they should be) I seem to get no braking. It's a bit frustrating as I had this lap braking going pretty well previously, but now it seems to be a bit flaky. As I said, it could be a controller issue as in presses on my controller not registering correctly, don't know if the sensitivity has been changed. But even when I am pretty sure that the presses are correct judging by the sound and glancing at the HUD that I'm back in Service for example, I just don't seem to be getting an increase in brake pressure on the gauge and of course the train is not braking as I want / need it to.

Just venting a bit really, but if anyone has any suggestions I'll be all ears. :)

2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

> If I need to release I do so, wait for the gauge needles to reset and then brake again as above.

You wait for which gauges? Brake cylinder, EQ, or brake pipe? Also the gauges only show the pressures in the loco, but TSW simulates pressure propagation throughout the brake pipe. After release the air system needs time to recharge the air tanks in each vagon.
    If the air tanks are not fully recharged then you'll get reduced brake performance on that vagons.

This is specific to US locos, as the EU ones can do partial brake releases, so it is easier to control braking.

3. cattivo

cattivo Member

Hi there and thanks for the reply.

I had been looking at the brake cylinder and brake pipe gauges. So, I just tried again watching both gauges. My initial brake (service to lap) took the brake cylinder to 10. Brake pipe and the main reservoir and EQ stayed pretty much the same. I was able to add a little extra brake by going back into service and lap again. No problems, and pretty much only the red brake cylinder needle moved.

Then I released as I was going to stop short. All four gauge needles were reset to where they typically are. When I tried to brake again, just a quick tap into service and back to lap all the gauges went haywire, brake cylinder went to 60 and EQ almost to zero. :|

Definitely won't rule out user error, but this braking system seems to have changed recently. As I said, I was able to use it a while back with much less trouble.

Anyway, no problem, there are other trains to drive... :)