Brighton Mainline (when It Works) Is Amazing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by james64, Oct 8, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I know I was initially screaming to the heavens that this route was unplayable on PS5 but after having some time to properly sink my teeth into the route I think I can safely say I just got unlucky with my first service. I've now played around 5 or 6 services in timetable mode and I've only had one crash. I get that's a very poor ratio but those services I've played that DID work have been probably the most fun I've had with this game. Running under cautionary signals, great express and commuter services, and SOOO much AI traffic make this route a fantastic experience.

Yes, the framerate at Victoria is terrible but (and this is no excuse for DTG to not fix it), I think I've gotten used to it? I might just have a higher tolerance than most for this sort of thing. And in my experience playing on PS5 the majority of the route runs at a very smooth 60fps. Apart from Victoria the game only seems to chug in various parts of suburban London (key word being "parts", it's still 60fps a lot of the time). Everywhere south of around Purley honestly seems fine performance wise, save for brief drops at Gatwick Airport and Brighton.

This route definitely needs a patch, but when it does get it (and it will), this route will be genuinely special. I think it already is, as I'm already having a great deal of fun with it. I know this is a U- turn from what I've been saying about the route recently, but those initial negative experiences really made me bitter and angry. I probably should have done more than just spawn in Victoria and then do ONE service before making my mind up.

• Like Like x 10
  2. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

I have to agree; I left it until tonight after seeing all the issues flood in and wasn’t going to take a look until it was patched, but couldn’t hold off :)

I think there seems to be something with the opening intro “level” that makes everything a bit framey, as I’ve noticed that across the three releases.

otherwise I’ve not really noticed that much of a performance hit at all from the runs I’ve played so far ( not silky smooth, but nothing to be up in arms about)

I did just get my first game crash though which was in the Quarry divert scenario (don’t know what the proper name is). For me I think this is going to be the most annoying thing if it keeps happening!

otherwise, really enjoying it and looks and sounds great! Some of the scenery especially really took me by surprise by how good it was!

Anyway, on PS5 native, have a video of the one crash I have had; not sure how to upload it from iPhone…

• Like Like x 1
  3. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

On PS4 its worked perfectly for me, a few slow downs here & there but otherwise ok.

• Like Like x 2
  4. furiousbigface

furiousbigface Member

I agree, it's a good route but I've done a fresh install of the game and content I have purchased and I bought the season ticket on PS5, I'm just not enjoying London Commuter in its present state and having numerous crashes so I haven't included it in the fresh install until it is fixed. This is the first time I've become frustrated with the game because I was looking forward to it and DTG don't want this to happen and also know they need. to improve the DLC release and quality process. So the frustrations of the players and developers are running high at the moment, which is understandable. I'll give it a go in a couple of weeks, otherwise not interested at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Same for me...didnt had a single crash...
    Ps4 Pro.(already played quite a lot)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  6. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Wish I could say the same. On PS4 Pro it feels sluggish whenever there are other trains nearby, which is nearly all the time with so many services. The Rush Hour passenger system hasn’t even been added yet, and I suspect it will run even worse when / if it gets added. Not to mention the missing layers they didn’t tell us about when the season ticket went live. This release has been quite shady.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Route crashed for me when exploring London Victoria- and the second service I ran was ruined due to a permanent red light caused by every train in front of me being stopped because the timetable is very wonky. Route is in dire need for attention by the devs, as it is broken, but seeing as Dresden is still crashing constantly even after the "patch," my realization is that this route is going to be nearly unplayable for quite awhile.. :mad:

Unacceptable.

• Like Like x 4
  8. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

Downloaded yesterday and played introduction. Really impressed, great graphics, good performance from ps4 pro, and then went straight into first journey and back down to earth with a bang. Frame rates plummeted, trying to move camera felt like it was being dragged through custard. Obviously optimised for next gen consoles, which are almost impossible to get. Turned off and read a book, far more enjoyable

• Like Like x 4
  9. yambam#1598

yambam#1598 Member

I had a few crashes before the update for PS5 and since the update touchwood I have only had one crash. Have played around 9 services (full runs) and 2 scenarios. Only lag I get is London Victoria which is understandable with all the services. One thing I can say about dovetail there are always updates and older routes being brought to current TSW 2 playability. The game is a constant learning curve as are all games and it's more of constant work in progress as new features and newer locos give more layers to previous dlcs. It's not like most most games has a major release and a few dlc over a year then that's it.

Even though TSW has changed since it's original inception it's still in my eyes a constant Work In Progress but the good kind!

• Like Like x 2
  10. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I genuinely don't think this route is "unplayable" like people say. The scanarios seem to crash more than the timetable, which is weird. I've done a fair number of timetable services now and have only had one crash. The fact a timetable like this works at all is a miracle, and I'm willing to tolerate some lag at Victoria to experience it. And I'm sure there'll be an update soon, so we don't have to put up with it forever.

• Like Like x 3
  11. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

I’ve so far only had one crash; working my way through journey mode and on the last stage of chapter 2… all very impressive and no blocked paths or anything like that… solid frame rate and great looking graphics, aside from inside Victoria, which sometimes is buttery smooth, and others very jittery.

really enjoying the route, the variety of stock you see on the lines, and the density of traffic… hoping none of it gets paired back; looking forward to some Thameslink DLC SWR AI traffic at Clapham in the future (fingers crossed!!)

• Like Like x 1
  12. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

I also think Brighton Main Line is great, even the entire season ticket.

• Like Like x 1