My Wishlist For Livery Designer 2.0

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CrazyDash, Oct 9, 2021.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

As we all know, livery designer 2.0 is still being planned. I am going to talk about all of the features I would want to see in this upgrade. Obviously not all of them are gonna get added, but I just want to get my ideas out.

MORE TRAINS (OR ALL) COMPATIBLE WITH LIVERY DESIGNER
    I think this is a fairly obvious one. Since the release of TSW2, we have all been waiting for the rest of the preserved collection to get added to livery designer. It's been a while since we have seen some new additions to livery designer (besides the peninsula corridor preservation focus), and there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. The following routes that do not have livery designer are Tees Valley Line, Northern Trans Pennine, West Somerset Railway, Great Western Express, Rapid Transit, Ruhr Sieg Nord, Main Spessart Bahn, Haupstrecke Rhein Ruhr, Rhein Ruhr Osten, and Oakville Subdivision. I would assume Oakville will get livery designer support once the preservation crew finishes their work on the route. But as you can see, there is still a lot of work to be done. I hope to see a few more routes tackled such as the German ones since lots of them have similar rolling stock. GWE is also a highly requested route to get livery designer as well.

THE ABILITY TO PAINT SPECIFIC SECTIONS OF THE TRAIN

This is a fairly popular feature people have been suggesting. To have the ability to color specific parts of the train would make livery designer much more convenient. Things that can be colored are the front of UK trains, catwalks on US trains, passenger doors, horns, etc. Making the yellow front for a UK train can be fairly complicated to do, especially if you are new to livery designer. Adding this feature would make getting the colors for your train much easier, along with reducing the amount of layers you are using.

HAVE BOTH THE CAB CAR AND PASSENGER COACHES EDITED TOGETHER INSTEAD OF SEPARATELY
    One thing that is very annoying about livery designer is when you have to make a livery for a train that has coaches and a cab car. It makes it difficult to line up things between the coach and cab car, making it really frustrating and annoying. One thing I also really dislike is that you may not even have the same livery for the train you are driving. For example, if I have 2 liveries for both the coaches and cab car of a train, and then spawn a train in service mode, it could spawn in the first livery you did for the coaches, and the second livery you did for the cab car. It then makes the train look odd with the coaches and cab car having different liveries. This is why DTG should merge the coaches and cab car together in livery designer, so that the game selects the same livery for both the coaches and cab car. It will also make it much easier to make designs line up with each other between the coaches and cab car.

THE ABILITY TO SAVE AND SHARE ASSETS

This is another major one for me. With various routes in TSW having similar rolling stock, I would want to be able to copy my livery for one train, to a similar train. My solution to this is so that you are able to save assets you make, so then you can copy and paste the livery onto the similar looking train. For example, lets say I want to put my livery for the ECW 377 onto the BML 377. I could copy parts of the livery or the entire thing onto the BML 377. Nobody would want to remake a livery for a train that looks extremely similar to something they already made. Now sharing. DTG has mentioned that they are planning to make liveries sharable. What if we would be able to group some objects together, turn it into an asset, save it, then upload it for other people to use? This would be a great way to help people who have difficulties making particular designs as now they can just download it from the workshop, and paste it onto their trains. Now there could be a problem with this. This means people could make the logo for a train and then share it. This could cause licensing issues. It's possible it's not an issue, but I wouldn't count on that. So all I would be able to suggest for this is to have moderation that takes down decals that could lead to copyright issues.

MORE SHAPES AND FONTS

This is another obvious one. Sometimes I feel fairly limited in what I can do with the shapes or text we currently have. More shapes and fonts would be really nice to see. Fonts is a major one. Now obviously there is licensing that goes into text, but I'm sure DTG will find a way to add more fonts to the game as the current font is too thin. I want to see a lot more bold and stylish fonts as that is what is seen on various commuter operators.

TEXT BOXES
    Adding on to my suggestion above, text boxes would be a really nice feature to add. It can be fairly tedious and difficult to make perfectly aligned text, so this feature would be really nice. Players would get the option to choose if they want to use individual numbers or letters, or if they want to use a text box. If you choose text box, it would pull up a space to enter your text and choose your font. Once you are done typing your text, you press enter and then it forms the text. You can then modify and scale it from there.

AN EASIER WAY TO MAKE CURVED OBJECTS

Making curved objects in TSW can be a total pain. There are ways, but they usually require a lot of objects. An easier way to make curved objects would be nice. Now I do not know how you would be able to do this. Maybe you could have a custom shape maker where you can create shapes using anchor points. Other than that, I don't know how this would work out. But if DTG are able to find a way, that will be really convenient.

THE ABILITY TO CHOOSE WHAT LIVERIES YOU CAN SEE IN SERVICE MODE
    This is yet another major request for livery designer. I like to make a lot of liveries, and sometimes I feel like I see too many of my custom liveries than the actual livery used in real life. There could be an option inside the livery designer tab that gives you the option to tick what liveries you want to see in service mode. This would be a really nice feature as we now have control over what we can see in service mode.

PATCHES AND FIXES

Livery designer has lots of issues. From visual bugs within the designer itself, to liveries not showing in service mode, to game crashes, there is a lot of work that needs to be done on livery designer to polish it. DTG should open up a forum for when the time comes so that people are able to report issues they have detected within livery designer so that DTG can fix it up.

THE ABILITY TO COLORIZE THE INTERIOR

This is a very requested feature. Although I do not care too much about the interior, in ways this would be a cool feature, as it can give your liveries some distinction. This would work similar to the livery coloring suggestion I posted before where you can color particular parts of the interior such as walls, seats, inside of the doors, and more.

LIVERY SHARING

As mentioned in a previous roadmap stream, DTG stated that livery sharing was planned to be added. I want to briefly talk about how I think it should work. Just like DTG stated, they want to make an in game shop where everyone can post and download liveries/decals. This could also be useable for scenario sharing in scenario planner 2.0. One thing that worries me with sharing however is people stealing works from others and saying it's theirs. I would not want this. This is why I think DTG should add post settings. You would get options such as 'Can people edit the livery once downloaded?' or 'Do you want to privately share liveries with friends?' This would allow people to post things with certain restrictions so that people do not steal their work. Overall, this would be an amazing feature to add to livery designer and is one of the most requested features to come to the game.

CONCLUSION
    There is a lot that can be done with livery designer. From making it easier and more accessible, to opening up more possibilities in creativity, to being able to share your creations with the world and feel engaged in the community, there is so much potential in livery designer, and I can't wait for livery designer 2.0 to come to the game in the near future. If you guys have your own suggestions for features that should be added to livery designer, feel free to leave a reply on this thread. Thanks for reading guys.

• Like Like x 5
  2. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I agree with all of these

3. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

Nice ideas

4. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I would imagine GWE being last. It was the most anticipated route for Preserved Collection and was last. It has no signs of a Preservation Focus coming any time soon. While Sams (I think its him) preservation crew is very slow (the PIS on ECW was in "Upcoming" from around Febuary 2021 to August 2021), they typically do their job well, so I have high hopes