Poll - What Is Your Favourite Rush Hour Route And Why?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 8, 2021.

?
  1. Boston to Providence

17 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Dresden

101 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Brighton Mainline

103 vote(s)
    46.6%
  1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Now that we have all three in the bag (taking out any amends that need to be made) at this time what is your favourite?

Boston - I liked the look of this when they showcased the traffic at Boston station, now I've played it I don't find myself going back to it all. Just nothing there that draws me to it. There's nothing I can put my finger on as wrong but it's just bland for some reason.

Germany - Really enjoy this route, I think there are a couple of contributing factors here. Miessen branch, the shunter and the addition of freight mixed in with the challenge of SIFA and PZB make this very exciting to me. I love that the tracks criss cross and whilst it looks like an A to B the map makes it feel more world like to me. Great night lighting too. I think what contributes also is I own most German DLC. It's not that I'm a German fan, just that Germany has best offering of routes and trains at present. My personal favourite currently

Brighton- I do like this route as you can stretch the trains legs a little but I also like multiple trains rolling in and out of Victoria. Joe did a really good job with the time table. Couple of bits that erk me here (and this could genuinely be reality) is the lack of different trains. The 377 and 387 are nice to drive but it doesnt matter how many times you talk about a window looking different or a pantograph which is unused on Brighton its not a massive selling point to two fairly visually similar stock. I understand 700s and thameslink have been used here (and asked for ages ) so I question if a ball was dropped here to speed up development. This route really does need more variety in trains. I have SEHS but not the 465 but I begrudge buying a 465 to add traffic when I don't really use SEHS loads due to Dresden. I think it does need a freight timetable and more train variety. My biggest erk on this route is that you pull out of Brighton, see the viaduct and think, ah "I need to exit this route to go there without quitting to desktop with that silly button". I really wish the two were joined and I can go North or East seamlessly. I think the UK really does need routes that start to stitch together and something other than 377, 387, 465 or the other SEHS. There's other trains here I'm sure.

Anyhow, good and bad above and I welcome your thoughts on the three. Please try to think about the routes on this post and not all the launch quibbles and dlc access.

Dev team, appreciate all the hard work and hope this post helps you.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Brighton is my favourite, and has been all out be played since it launched… that timetable… wow

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

BML mainly because it's busy and somehow still a bit less heavy on performance compared to DRA

• Like Like x 2
  4. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Dresden easily. I've really come to like German routes, combination of PZB and the trains being fun to drive. Aside from the fact that I'm in the minority of people who generally don't like the new night lighting and the performance issues around Dresden, the route offers a great variety all packaged into one.

I really...really want to like Boston, but I've barely touched it since it launched. I still think the signalling is messed up, maybe a little better after this most recent update, but not where it should be. The brakes on everything seem way too weak, and honestly it feels like the only time the brakes actually work is when ATC or ACSES requires and acknowledgement and suppression braking. Any other time it feels like you've just done a minimal reduction. But honestly I don't know what they're supposed to be like and maybe its just the bias of TSW trains generally having aggressive breaking. There's other smaller things that I need to play some more to see if they've been addressed.

I'm not all that into UK routes/trains, so BML has that stale, repetitive feeling to me, with nothing that really stands out to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Riesa - Dresden. All three are super-good, but my personal taste is RED :)
    The key word - diversity. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  6. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

all of them, and I mean every single DLC for TWS2

7. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I chose Brighton mainline because I have a personal interest in UK trains. So far I am enjoying what I've seen, I guess I am lucky enough that my PC can run it well as I haven't had most of the issues I am reading about on the forums.

I would also add that Dresden is the first time I've put more than a couple of hours onto a German route, because it is a lovely route with a great variety of trains, and that night lighting is just exceptional.

As for Boston, I wanted to like it but I have spent about 45 minutes on that route and never went back to it, the fluctuations of speed in that incab signalling system just put me right off it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Boston is my personal favorite. First of all, it seems to have had the best performance for me, only struggling around the Boston area. Then there’s just the fact that I really like American trains, and seeing a bunch of Amtrak and MBTA trains makes me happy. The Stoughton branch is the most enjoyable passenger line I’ve driven so far, and the NEC is a fun high speed line. Overall a very enjoyable route for me. I’ve ignored ATC and ACSES for now, since I knew already that they’re a bit wrong. Still a really enjoyable drive without turning on safety systems.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

None of them?

10. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Brighton mainline without doubt simply because its a UK route also runs like a dream so smooth and looks good.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think my favorite RH route has been Boston simply because for me, it has been the most different of the trio. It was great to revisit the Amtrak loco after a long absence after being omitted in the TSW2 preserved collection conversion. Even with the ACSES/signalling issues present, I 100% completed the journey mode which I haven't done for any other route in TSW/TSW2 which speaks volumes.

It has to be said, the other 2 RH routes are also fantastic in their own way and offer great value for money when purchased together via the season ticket

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Oooof... difficult choise. They all have their upsides...

Boston-Providence is certainly the one which offers something different than we had before.
    Riesa-Dresden offers a lovely landscape and timetable with lots of variety.
    London-Brighton feels like the first route of decent length and has plenty of AI trafffic.

Not gonna choose. They're all equally good in their own way.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

At the moment Dresden, because it is more stable than Brighton at the current time. But if/when that’s solved they’ll be neck and neck favourites to me.
    Dresden edges it on train fanning possibility and sheer atmosphere (the new time of day system more than the night lighting)
    Brighton edges it for parallel running fun.
    Boston… I so want to enjoy it but until the in cab systems and signalling issues are sorted It doesn’t have anything to keep me coming back.

14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Brighton and Dresden are definitely way ahead of Boston. As you say, there's just nothing there to draw me back in and once you've played with the UK or German trains, the American locos feel painfully slow to react.

I voted Brighton, but that's probably just because I can relate to UK routes better, although I don't really like the tiny-windowed EMUs. Being able to scan the stations for collectables, the way you can from the 465 makes the whole thing more engaging rather than only being able to see the track directly ahead of you. It does mean I've been using the 377/387 on outside view more though, so getting to take in all the scenery (only really ruined by the wheel blur issues)!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Have only bought Brighton. No interest in other countries

I'd love them to build networks, but in the case stated there are only two or three trains in a day where they come from the BML and go onto the ECW, so you'd be changing trains at least, and if that means two stepping back to a menu I don't see a problem with that per se. My suggestion was that some of the blue scenario start markers could point to ECW (involving an "internal reload" process) but we shall see I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Brighton, despite its flaws making it largely unplayable at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Brighton for me.
    Dresden has the nicer scenery, but I find the flickering of catenary poles becomes irritating.
    One reason I’m looking forward to steam.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

The variety and night lighting of Dresden - Riesa does it for me!

• Like Like x 3
  19. chieflongshin

It would be interesting to see whether the poll would marry up with what the devs feelings would be

• Like Like x 1
  20. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Dresden-Riesa, just because I don't particularly like driving commuter trains / not pulled by a real locomotive.

Anyway, BML and DRA are both great.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

DRA for me. The improved/reworked loco physics and more realistic freight trains are a no-brainer for me.

• Like Like x 4
  22. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I think if it wasn't for the performance issues Dresden and BML would be my joint favorite but I've been unable to play any Dresden services even with the new timetable I haven't been able to successfully complete one. Rush hour was a great idea and I don't want this to put DTG off doing similar routes in the future. But before they do the performance issues must be resolved. I've only managed to play through most of the journey for Boston and even then I come across dispatcher issues at the end of a long service meaning I can't complete it. I haven't been able to form a proper opinion because I can't play the majority of the services.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I really love the locos on the Boston route - nice horns! I have not driven London yet, but I am sure I will enjoy it. However, TSW/TSW 2 got me into German trains with RSN and I have been enjoying the experience ever since.

Dresden was already impressive. Then the update came out with the increased traffic, the new freight consists, and the spectacular Meißen branch.

Beautiful scenery, great train variety, and lots of traffic to drive through with immersive safety systems. I am going to be exploring this route for a while!

• Like Like x 3
  24. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Dresden all day long. It was one I was least looking forward to but with the PZB, variety and the new freight consists it delivers a very satisfying experience.

London to Brighton looks good and is fun but I just don’t really enjoy an electrostar extravaganza.

Boston to Providence is a nice route and I love the locomotives. However with the broken safety systems and lack of variety it is hard to come back to sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  25. chieflongshin

Boston looks like a bag of nails at the moment based on votes

26. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Dresden, because of the variety of activities you can do there. The Brighton line is OK and of a slightly better quality but almost only driving commuter trains is not so exciting for me.
    The Boston route still has to many problems with the safety system and timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  27. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Dresden, obviously. This route adds so much variety to the game in terms of vehicles, verhicle setup and and track options, it is really amazing. Enabling players to effectively change brake setup and PZB mode on locomotives and cars is a milestone for immersion. We got working Hl-type signals, GPA-magnets and a great night lighting. The Meißen branch is a jewel in itself.
    London Commuter is very nice as well, you can breathe all the effort and dedication that went into it. Driving the electrostars is fun, but not really challenging. Not so much variety in vehicles and track options (no freight), though.
    Boston will be a very nice route as well, as soon as the ATC/ACSES and signalling chaos got fixed properly. I really hope this will happen. Until then, it is virtually unplayable.
    Generally, I really appreciate the three Rush Hour Season routes. You got a lot of beautiful and fun content for a reasonable price. I hope there will be more offers like that in the future. Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  28. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Bml because the 37x trains are so easy to drive.
    Starting in London, short stop half an hour later at Gatwick and another half hour to Brighton.

So relaxing.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Don‘t want to be that guy, but these aren‘t new. They‘ve been correctly modelled ever since RSN.

• Like Like x 1
  30. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Not available on Epic, so I wouldn't know. :) But thanks!
    Doesn't change the fact that almost everything connected with German train control systems is implemented very nicely now.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Dresden. The lighting at night clinches it for me. The route looks absolutely breathtaking.

32. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

They are all good. But I prefer UK routes so BML for me BUT not until the game crashing bugs are fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  33. zhexuan_li

zhexuan_li New Member

I voted for Boston
    Perhaps because I like Amtrak’s ACS-64. The loco itself is the only “new” (though the train was appeared in TSW2020, I still recognize it as “brand new” in TSW2) one among the RH. Both the sound and the model are well fabricated. Besides, the performance of this line is the best among three RH routes. The only thing that makes me mad is the in-cab signalling which often causes delays.

For Dresden, the performance is really bad. My computer can run at 60+ fps for majority of routes but for Dresden it drastically drop to 45fps with high frequency stuttering, even after the recent update. Locomotives are recycled, which don’t have any attractive features for me.

Just got the Brighton route recently and only go through the tutorials. So I can’t give a detailed feedback.

34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’d have to say Brighton Mainline because of the timetable mainly. It maybe the tiny window of the Electrostars that you’re looking through when driving rather than the much better driver’s view in the German locos on Dresden but that hasn’t dampened my immediate love for this DLC. It is basically what TSW has always wanted to be and needed to become. There is so much traffic and there is a lot of great scenery too. It just needs more freight and something beginning with T to make the timetable a work of perfection. I’m just loving it. There are the usual wonky bits of scenery here and there and some loco sound bugs (PS5) but at least this route does not have that dreadful new night lighting of Dresden.

I really hope that doesn’t become the normal lighting. It was a nice try but it created something more false than what was there before and slightly ruined the route for me. I’ll go into the issues with it in great detail only if I see it repeated in the same form on another route as I know not many people share my distaste for it right now. The route and services are great though, especially the freight, but it doesn’t quite beat Brighton.

Boston doesn’t even enter into the equation for the best of the three. It’s great but it’s not great enough to beat the other two and the safety system is useless at present. Wonderful around Boston but straight and flat for the rest of it. I don’t even think the addition of a faster train would improve it that much but time will tell.

The big thing is that Rush Hour has brought some leaps forward and some fantastic content. Potentially unsustainable leaps because of all the free time work that’s gone into it to make it all happen, and it only cost a few quid for the lot (for us here at the not so smooth launch of it). What’s TSW2 going to look like for the rest of the year after this. It’s a lot to live up to.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

For me, the night lighting of Dresden makes it my automatic favourite. It reminds me of countless journey through the Channel Tunnel at 6pm on a Sunday, returning from my father's house, seeing all of the pretty lights out of the small windows of the shuttles.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm still sticking with Riesa - Dresden. I love German Routes and it's by far the best one so far. But I have to say London Brighton has taken me by surprise. I've been playing it all weekend and the amount of Traffic in the timetable is just amazing. So it's a very close 2nd place. Boston sadly trails a long way behind. I've never been a big fan of American Routes, though I did play some freight routes for a while, this route though does nothing for me and with the safety system issue not yet fixed, I've just deleted it.

• Like Like x 1
  37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Dresden for me, as a PS5 user it may be because I’m salty over the state of BML, but then if I think about the rolling stock, scenery and gameplay overall, Dresden still wins even with a perfect BML.

Id also reconsider that if NRD did not have the 101 layer, or the upcoming 187 (2 of my favourite German locos).

However the BML for me isn’t in a very interesting time period, the 377 & 387 just aren’t very fun to drive, they’re fine but they just lack a personality, there’s just no sensation to pulling away from a station or reaching a certain speed and hearing the train really cry out, they just hum their way back and forth, mix that with cab sounds that are pretty quiet, TSW’s poor running sounds and a cab that doesn’t really offer much in the way of things to look at, and you have a pretty stagnant train.

Something about the electrostar just makes it a good British unit to have in the background, but nothing fun to drive.

NRD on the other hand brings a multitude of trains, service types and also good scenery, I just enjoy that one more, even as a Brit.

• Like Like x 2
  38. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

I'll preface my response by saying that when I first started this journey with TSW2, I was strictly a US freight guy. I had virtually no interest in passenger routes and even less interest in routes outside of the US. Rush hour changed all that. My intent initially was to only purchase the Boston Sprinter, but the fact that there was only a $5 difference (with the launch discount) between the single route and the season ticket made it a no brainer to purchase the whole enchilada. Sometimes life deals us a hand that surprises us, and this was one of those times for me.
    I can't say I have a favorite. I like them all pretty much equally, each one for a different reason which I'll address briefly.

Northeast Corridor: Boston – Providence
    First off, Boston is home for me. So that, in and of itself, is enough to make the Sprinter a favorite. It is well done and absolutely conveys the feel of South Boston and southern New England. That the most recent update borked up the F40PH is disappointing, but I hold out hope that it will get fixed. Maybe not as fast as I might wish, but it will get there. The ACS-64 is well done and the ATC and ASCES signaling system is well done, if not perfectly implemented just yet. Again, I have hope. The most recent update, despite the aforementioned issues, did make some positive changes in the right direction.

Riesa – Dresden
    So we'll start with the scenery. Wow!! Just Wow!! Totally amazing work here and the night lighting is fantastic. Lots of traffic, plenty of services, and trains which are both fun and very different from their US counterparts. The real fun is learning the signal system and operating with Sifa, PZB and LZB. Just takes operating a train to a whole new level. And when you finally start to get it right, it's really quite satisfying. The addition of the Meißen Branch takes this one off the charts. Pulling into Meißen is really spectacular, particularly in the evening. Oh, and did I mention the night lighting?
    My experience with Riesa-Dresden inspired me to invest in some of the other German DLC (and the inherent layering that conveys) and I've not been disappointed with that decision. Enough said. Which brings me to...

Brighton Main Line: London Victoria – Brighton
    The London Commuter, aka the Brighton Mainline is, simply put, brilliant. The timetable is crazy. The route is full of traffic (if not passengers just yet) and you really feel as though you're just one engineer in a world of many, many trains. The signal system and signage, which falls somewhere between the German system and the American system in terms of complexity, is probably my favorite of the three packages as it allows for HUD-less operation if one chooses, is a bit more forgiving than the very strict German system, and if you pay attention you can run station to station very smoothly and stay essentially on time. For me, it's sort of in the "Goldilocks zone." The scenery is well done and the night lighting is nice, if not quite to the standard set by Reisa-Dresden. The timetable, the most ambitious to date for DTG, is really phenomenal. I've not yet run into any issues with it and there's a trip for every occasion. Only have 10 minutes? There's a run for that. Want to run for 45 minutes, an hour? We've got you covered. Just in terms of flexibility and options alone, BML is hard to beat.

Now, all that said, I am cognizant of the fact that there are folks who are having a less than stellar experience with the Rush Hour lineup. This isn't meant to dismiss their issues and concerns in any way, but merely to convey my personal experience with these DLC offerings. To be fair, they aren't all perfect. There are some issues with each package, as is true for almost any piece of software sold these days. There are numerous other posts on the forum illustrating the problems some folks have experienced so I see no reason to revisit them here, in what is ostensibly a more positively toned thread. I run a fairly good system that's about 4 years old now, but was top spec when it was built so I've experienced no real issues running TSW2 or any of the DLC's I've purchased. YMMV!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  39. chieflongshin

I’m hoping the good parts, rush hour passengers, night lighting, bits like miesen branch line and timetables become the norm

40. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Boston is my favorite. Its the only route with "new" locomotive actually and american in-cab signalling (though bugged sometimes).
    There are still some older German and UK routes that I haven't played yet, so I just do not have any rush for new ones.

41. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I voted Dresden, but it's almost tied with Brighton.

I gave Boston - Providence another whirl yesterday and to me personally, it seems the weakest of the three, with the lowest number and variety of services. The route itself is quite nice.
    Dresden - Riesa is the closest to me and is packed with variety. I can see myself spending a lot more time with that one.
    London - Brighton is a new one, so I haven't been able to play it that much, but from what I've seen so far, it's really good. It's possible I may yet spend more time there than on the Dresden route.

• Like Like x 2
  42. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

My favorite is Dresden, by far the best Rush Hour route. Not only is there a large variety of locomotives to operate but the route itself is huge and has tons of variety- mainline, avoiding line, Meissen branch, Grossenhein. Diverse service mode, too, S- Bahn, RE, RB, IC, ICE... and FREIGHT- so much freight, it's Main Spessart Bahn 2.0!! Intermodel, auto, mixed freight, tankers, it's got a lot of freight. More than 100 freight services! The route is beautiful, too, with the new and improved night lighting, I really feel like I'm there; the route really feels lived in.

Second favorite has to be the Brighton Mainline, despite its current state. The route is very nice looking and has a ton of commuter services to operate. Both the 377 and 387 look very nice and are a joy to operate, and both have a wide range of services.

NEC: Boston to Providence is my least favorite.. No variety at all, barely any Amtrak services to operate, and the ACS-64 was the reason I wanted this route, I thought it would have a lot of services like on NEC: New York; but unfortunately not. The route itself is not very interesting, and feels devoid of life sometimes because all of the services are concentrated around the Boston area. The CSX engines along the route feel like they're there for show because they have no services and you're constricted to a very small area if you want to operate them. Honestly, I would rather play NEC: New York.

• Like Like x 1
  43. chieflongshin

Couldn’t agree more. I really enjoy seeing the variety running up and down the line

44. TRB5991

TRB5991 New Member

Ooh this was hard, but ultimately Brighton, followed very closely by Dresden. BML was the one I wanted from when Rush Hour was announced, got the Season ticket as I looked at it as BML for £24.99 and two other routes for £5 each, very happy I got the season ticket. I'm on PC and touch wood, bar a couple of crashes on Brighton with the timetable, performance and stability is fine. I really hope console players and other PC players with issues get the type of experience I get sooner rather than later.

NEC: Least favorite, Not a big fan of US routes, so knew this wouldn't be the one for me from day 1. The route is not great scenery wise and I agree with what other have said about it being somewhat life less. Then there is the issue with ASCES and ATC, which I don't use, shame as it means I need the HUD, which I don't use. ACS-64 for me is the better of the traction as it's much quicker and more my type of driving. FH-40, the loco is ok to drive, but not a fan of it, especially the brakes as I find Suppression is the only was to get it to really slow. Cab car end for me is a no go with it's lack of audio. Overall, I now don't use NEC at all, nothing to draw me to it, maybe I will look again when ATC and ASCES is looked at.

Dresden: Love it, so much variety, especially with all the freight from last weeks update. The variety in rolling stock and services is a huge draw. I usually run freight with it. My first German route DLC, could so easily purchase more. Learning PZB was great fun too. Route is beautiful and I adore the night lighting, usually run at night now as it's so well done. I hope the lighting becomes more common. It's a very close second.

BML: The top one for me. It's not perfect, at all and IMO pushed out to release a couple of weeks early. BUT, being in the UK, UK routes are my go to, and this type of route with these type of services is what I'm after and wanted in TSW2. Major terminus on both ends, so it's easy to do full runs; with laid back 387 runs that are for me a huge stress relief to drive. I'm a fan of current rolling stock, so having the Electrostar is fine for me; thank goodness it has AP sounds, but yeah they need some reworking. I'd love a Thameslink Class 700 to finish the route off for me. We shall see. I adore the timetable as no matter when you drive, it's busy. I have SEHS and the Class 465; love coming in and out of Victoria especially when alongside another train. I run it no HUD at all, love it during the day, night not so much. If I want to drive at night, I go to Dresden.

Be interesting to see where DTG go from here with the changes and stuff they've learnt from doing Rush Hour. I'm not someone who buys masses of DLC, I only have the Rush Hours and SEHS stuff, so I'll watch from the side and jump into grab something if it really pulls me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021