1938 Stock - First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Illegal Prime, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

I haven't seen a post stream thread for the '38 stock, so I decided to make one.

As usual for Rivet, the model looks fantastic, the detail is good and the texturing matches pictures I've seen of it. The weathering (in the cab at least) also looks realistic. I think the lighting is a bit bright, but I am quite impressed with the way the train was modelled. What I'm not impressed with are the sounds. The main issue is that they are too bare, when coasting there are no run sounds to speak of, and the door sound s lack any of the clattering that I would expect from a pre-war train. I want it to sound more mechanical and less calculated. The other major issue is the timetable, BKL already has too few trains on it with the 72 stock, this reduces it even further, even though there was plenty of room for running the slower trains closer together. Otherwise it would have been nice to see the original speedometer and interior lights on the red roof version but I won't complain about that too much.

Overall I think I will still buy it because I love the 1938 stock, but I think Rivet needs to understand what players value in TSW, especially gameplay wise compared to TS Classic. I also hope the modding community will be able to improve this train tremendously after release.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I havn't watched much of the preview stream, but the sounds felt very weak. Not only were the basic clanks and thuds all generic and reused for things like doors and cab controls, but the running sounds seemed to cut in and out sometimes and such? And they were pretty bad to begin with.

But someone has made a very good sound mod for the '72 stock. So if a good sound mod gets released for the '38 stock as well, then it should be pretty good.

As for the timetable, it's just such a waste and might be a dealbreaker for many. I mean the standard Bakerloo Line may get an improved timetable later on when DTG finally fixes the dispatcher, but I highly doubt Rivet will go back and make a new timetable for the '38 stock. So again, that's a big con against it.

But as said, the models look great and it's such a lovely and retro train, I'd like to get it. But I will definitely wait for the reviews and see if there will be mods to improve on it soundwise.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

That preview stream was an absolute car crash I felt. Things broken, I felt the chap from rivet was thrown under the bus by them with a product which had issues and trying to divert questions away and I personally felt some of his answers were disrespectful to Matt as if he was the one doing stuff wrong.
    Constant awkward pauses in the chat and I just got the impression Sam and Matt were probably wondering what they were doing there and trying to get information all the time

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

Hopefully that new unofficial editor means that community members who know what they're doing can rectify the shortage of services.

5. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Good points. I really want this train as it is my childhood. I usually play on Xbox but I’m wondering whether to hang fire and get it on PC as I have the free version of TSW2 that was on Epic. I can then use any mods that are released.

6. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

The sounds were awful. Cutting out when accelerating, practically silent when the train is running and when the power is off. Disappointing considering they did a better job with track noise on IOW. Seems they had a hard time getting decent reference photos, first aid box doesn't exist but left in from 483, guard rail is missing, claiming there were no reference for it but a simple Google search shows up at least 1 photo of it (Moorgate disaster) <but I understand using that as a reference wouldn't be appropriate or enough to add, but could've investigated this further. Overall model looks good and it's nice to get some heritage scenarios that mix in with the 72 stock.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the cutting out, particularly when accelerating, was as a result of wheelslip if the HUD is to be beliveved.

8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What I took from that is Matt from Rivet came very unprepared for the stream, bit that's still better than Skyhook who couldn't even free anyone up to do a stream.

I was unlikely to buy this prior to the stream and nothing on there convinced me to change my mind. Switches not doing anything, marker boards seemingly broken and I'm fairly sure I spied passenger door open and close buttons in the drivers cab.

• Like Like x 6
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see who puts a shift in for the Penzance reveal.

10. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I turned off after 20 mins, as said above it was a very poor stream with a large degree of awkwardness about it!

• Like Like x 3
  11. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

What was weird about it?

12. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I think as usual a few people are just reading too much into things. Matt from Rivet was asked a few questions that he couldn't answer, but this was down to him being a vehicle artist and as such not knowing the answer. It's not some big conspiracy, he just wasn't the right person to answer and there's nothing wrong with that, nobody is hiding anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

You know if I am doing a question and answer session or a presentation for work, I arm myself with the facts and try to have prepared for all eventuality. True there's all ways the odd 1-2things I dont know the answer to but not to the extent Matt (Rivet), I mean he should know if he did the cab where the whistle button should be etc so perhaps stage fright got the better of him. Presenting online is hard and not everyone is a natural at it do give the guy a break.
    As I said above at least Rivet freed someone up to do it unlike SkyHook and their release.

• Like Like x 2
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

To be Honest i like that classic stock. And thats the reason im gonna buy it.

The stream really felt like a car crash. I turned it off after 10mins.
    To be fair, from where should they take sounds for the trains? Those are not running anywhere anymore, and they couldnt make visits due covid. Thats how its is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Surely the vehicle artist who worked on the train should know the differences? Then again with the number of glaring inaccuracies with the model maybe not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dinosbacsi

That doesn't mean the sounds should be cutting in and out and such. Even if they're not 100% accurate, you can still make good sounding sounds and proper sound mixing.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Another tube train which you never see from the outside as it's trapped in a tunnel.
    Bakerloo line is a waste of disk space in my eyes.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dinosbacsi

Well that's underground subways for you. And many people, including me, love subways.

Also, the Bakerloo Line has quite a long overground section as well.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I love subways too, though prefer the tunnels to the overground sections. Something about going through those winding passages at speed then popping out into a station appeals to me - both as an adult now and back when I was a little boy kneeling on a seat facing forward and staring out into the darkness (TTC in Toronto). BKL overground though, admittedly, has grown on me - even if my favourite part is that descent from Queen's Park into the gaping tunnel mouth.

As for the 1938 tube stock - it was going to be a day one purchase for me but I too am holding off, and what a shame that is. It's the sounds. What does TSW2 have against clackety-clack sounds as a train runs, especially one from the pre-war years? It's that deafening silence from the rails, even with the cab windows open, that just turns me cold. I can't imagine there are many people who hear those silent running sounds and go "Awesome, this is why I bought a train simulator - to run in blissful silence!" Even if it's not strictly real - bump it up a notch, please. And yet, release after release after release - always the same thing.

• Like Like x 7
  20. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I agree with what you are saying. However, the clackety clack sound was the track rather than the train. As it is running on the modern Bakerloo with continuous track, it wouldn’t be right in this case. They would need to build a whole new period route (which would have been nice especially if the Stanmore branch and the extension to Watford Junction were included but sadly it was not to be).

21. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I prefer German U-Bahn.
    I want enjoy this more

22. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Another sub-par Rivet product with an underwhelming timetable. Color me surprised!

• Like Like x 1
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The sounds could make or break this for me and the cutting in and out, even if intentional for gaps in the power rails or cutting the throttle, just sounds like a sound effect cutting in and out rather than something happening on the actual train. It leaves silence instead of something else. But I noticed the motor sound cutting in and out at points where it shouldn’t and couldn’t work out what was going on. As I said on the Dovetail article thread, it doesn’t inspire me to buy it even though I like the train because the driving experience potentially isn’t better than IoW and Bakerloo is a route that I don’t use much even though I also love the 1972 stock. So if the sound is way off it’s a no. The timetable doesn’t bother me much as it doesn’t affect that much when you can’t see any other trains for the most part, only that you aren’t likely to be following another train closely to keep you on your toes. It’s based on the original DTG timetable so not Rivet’s issue really, there’s probably not much they could do with it with the dispatcher limitations.

This DLC needs selling to the player and the stream did nothing to inspire the viewer. It’s not the fault of Matt from Rivet but Rivet overall for not having someone with a thorough knowledge of the DLC on the stream. They must know people have a million questions and they need to provide more than ‘I don’t know’ answers to what the DLC can offer or just about how the train works. If you can’t tell what’s intentional and what might be a bug that can be fixed you don’t have any confidence in the product and are buying on a ‘sold as seen’ basis like a secondhand lawnmower. I had to watch the stream in two halves to get through it. Maybe they haven’t learnt the importance of the streams to a lot of the more critical players around who can then influence others with how they react to it.

There are some plus points to Rivet’s credit. Two livery options with slight model changes between them and the scenarios being used for setting the old stock in the modern day as heritage runs are both ways they have tried to make this more of an attractive proposition. The model itself looks great as usual for Rivet.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yes you never go above ground on the Bakerloo. 20201015193810_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  25. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Nice livery!

26. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Well some people (out of the 7.753 billion people that have their own opinion and aren't you) like the underground.

You may want U-Bahn, Others may want U-Bahn, I (I confess) may want U-Bahn, however many people want other things.
    You should learn to respect that, and not complain about this kind of thing.

27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If guys are paying close attention to my question on stream does the 1938 stock have working Guard controls. they said yes Therefore this Works differently from 1972 Stock MK I & II you must go to the back the guard controls to open the door

28. Dinosbacsi

Yes, those are definitely a big plus. I also liked the idea of having 2 liveries, as it's a small thing to add, but improves on the gameplay and the overall value greatly.

• Like Like x 1