Poland: Why The Reluctance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rybnicki, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

This is of course related to Simrail but also more generally: I've noticed a general disdain in the train sim community for content around Poland, and I'm curious why this is.

On one hand I understand - we aren't a glamorous country; we weren't the first like the UK, nor do we have the beautiful mountain lines of Austria or Switzerland. We have a long history of rail, though, with unique units and a network that has prevailed against many odds down the years, functioning as an interchange between Soviet and European gauges and serving various occupying militaries throughout its existence.

This isn't a rant, I'm genuinely interested to know why people might think Poland is so strangely underrepresented across the various sims, and why I so often see in relation to Simrail, "I'd get it if it weren't set in Poland". I understand part of this might be recognition, wanting to play places you know, but how many players have actually ridden SPG? Anyway, hope the replies can stay civil, I'm interested in the answers!

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I don’t think there is any reluctance towards Poland as such. There are 195 countries in the World, of which Poland is just one. DTG have always been up front about concentrating on three countries which represent their core user base (which makes sound business sense). Other countries have emerged on occasion (France, Switzerland, Canada - and Scotland if Nicola Sturgeon gets her way!). There is no reason why a third party cannot contact DTG with a view to developing a Polish (or any other Country) route. It would probably need a unique selling point to attract the sales needed though.

I would certainly consider buying routes from other countries than UK, USA and Germany for the variety. I own the Arosalinie DLC despite its faults.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I can't speak for others but for myself I would say it's prejudice. When you say Poland I think of soviet era infrastructure whilst I know that is not true I'm expecting from Poland an American style route. Outdated machines and ugly scenery. Politics is also something to keep in mind. Poland ain't sexy for European players I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There are certainly more iconic railways in the world ;)

From my perspective (I am a Pole) the Polish railway infrastructure is very similar to the German one.
    Of course, this is not the same level of advancement, but the feelings are similar.

Worth mention, Polish PKP Cargo with ~ 2k locomotives is the second-biggest cargo logistics company in the EU (right after DB Cargo I think). Both companies use each other's tracks \o/ BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

For me it’s simply because I have no connection to Polish railways. I don’t play American routes either.

I’ve spent significant time in the UK, Switzerland and Germany and that is what interests me.

It’s similar for me with racing games, I’m happier racing around in cars I’ve actually driven, or at least seen, in real life. There is a connection to them.

So nothing against Poland at all or any country for that matter. It just doesn’t interest me at all with regards to train sims. Hopefully one day I can visit and see some of my colleagues who work there and then things might change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I’d wonder if it’s due to the nature of many places in Poland not being very well known.

If you look at most of the other countries represented they’re all widely known routes and cities.

Personally I wouldn’t be against have a route or 2 in TSW based in Poland but I don’t think I’d go for a simulator that’s entirely based there, I’d just want other places to explore, places I’m familiar with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Outdated and ugly? I get that a lot of newer buildings would be quite brutalist but 'historic' Poland is stunning. Again perception I guess a large part as you rightly point out you do tend to think Soviet era when someone says Poland (Personally I think 303 for those in the know;) ).
    I think this is the root cause sadly, I honestly couldn't think of, as you say an iconic route when I saw the thread title, ashamed as I am to say.

Edit: what I failed to say is perhaps its railway are more linked to an infamous past

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

There's been a few Polish simulators in the past, and they've not been hugely accessable to those who don't speak Polish. Hopefully SimRail will mark the turning point in this.

I personally am interested in content from any country so SimRail does appeal to me, however everyone has different interests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

For me the only really interesting part of Polish railways is the older rolling stock. Apart from that, I don't really see what other stuff there is which hooks me. The scenery and track layouts are quite boring, although I could say that about the majority of Germany too. The modern rolling stock is mostly just stuff you know from other countries already.
    The UK for example always has this Victorian charme to me, even in a modern setting, where you just always feel that the majority of what you are driving on was built two centuries ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Personally, it's the thought of having to learn a new countries railway systems, unfamiliar locomotives, new safety systems, new signalling systems. I mainly drive UK routes as I have an understanding of the signalling and safety systems, I feel confident that I could jump in and do a successful run. I have also started driving more of the German routes but the signals are still new to me so I'm not at the stage where I can see one and know exactly what it means and what I need to do. Don't even get me started on some of the American signals, driving towards a signal cluster showing about 7 red lights and one yellow one, but it being OK to pass, just feels so wrong to me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I don't know enough about European rail systems, and therein lies my answer to OP's question of why the reluctance. In my case, I play the routes in the countries I am familiar with, which for me is the UK. I know 10x more about the UK rail systems than I do about the rail systems in my home country. For me TSW is a way to sit down and relax, and when I am faced with lots of controls and signals and systems that I don't understand, the enjoyment ends. So yeah, for me personally, that is the reason I am reluctant to try routes based in countries I am not familiar with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Let's no get into that one, eh?

(We are still a country within the UK, but let's not get, well, political :))

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I always advocated polish railways to be in any train simulation. Not because I am familiar with them in any way but mainly because it has a unique feel to it - a mixture of western and eastern european infrastructure, which I'm very fond of. The arrival of SimRail is thus very welcome in this regard.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. antwerpcentral

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Poland isn't a country I'm familiar with and a Polish route isn't something I'd personally be asking for from DTG but if one were to come into TSW at some point, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. Before I started playing TSW, I knew absolutely nothing about German or American railways but playing the simulator plus doing a bit of research on the routes and locos featured in the game has helped broaden my knowledge.

Adding Poland to the mix would only add to that knowledge so I'd be all for it :)

My choice not to purchase Simrail at launch isn't around it only being set in Poland - I tried out the demo and the game just didn't impress me much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Rybnicki

You realise that's a historical, preserved line rather than a typical line, and also that we were never in the Soviet Union?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. antwerpcentral

I do, we also have Bokrijk in Belgium or some place in de Ardennes where they have preserved routes. I would not suggest those as routes ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Rybnicki

Thank you for the feedback, but it seems people like steam.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

what is poland?? It just a province in germany, so it is same as germany. My opinoin. I dont no

• Like Like x 1
  20. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Erm... I would suggest that if you don't know, you at least use an internet search first. Making geopolitical statements like that could cause some issues...

Poland is a separate country from Germany, has it's own government, railways, trains etc. There is some cross over (they're both European, use the same gauge railways etc and I'm sure some trains cross between the two) but they're definitely NOT the same country.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Oh boy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. xi haoyu china

Oh ok. So both are very same. but not same.

• Like Like x 2
  23. xi haoyu china

Why?

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

That's like saying China and Japan are the same just because they're next to each other...
    They're not, Germany and Poland are not, and I would suggest doing some historical research before continuing the discussion...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. xi haoyu china

Ok. But China and japan are very diferent.

26. ARuscoe

So are Poland and Germany, best leave it at that

• Like Like x 2
  27. xi haoyu china

Ok, AUroscoe

28. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Are you mental? Or just trying to stir the pot?

• Like Like x 1
  29. trainsimplayer

It's a totally distinct country in eastern Europe, bordering Germany.

And calling Poland a German province opens up a massive historical statement, which I doubt anyone here needs reminding of it's existence.

They've been seperate countries forever (mostly) and have somewhat distinct rail networks.

Calling them one is unfair and just blatantly wrong. Screenshot_20211015_105222.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  30. xi haoyu china

i am not very familiar, and have no interest with europe. please do not call me such inferior names, the needle is in the red. stop th e conversation here now!

• Like Like x 1
  31. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Is there a disdain in the train sim community? I haven't noticed it. I'd be interested in a Polish route. It gotta be more interesting then yet another UK/US/DE route...

It's probably just those people from the UK who are only interested in their own country. They'd probably have said the same about any other country. And with these forums using their native language, I wouldn't be surprised if the UK is overrepresented in these forums, compared to other nationalities.

• Like Like x 3
  32. trainsimplayer

Then why make the statement that Poland is a German province.

Why even bother to reply? The same as you do to numerous British, German, even American, Japanese, suggestion threads - just to say "nah China's better".

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Rybnicki

FYI - guys, if you're going to troll, this is how to do it. Best regards from a part of Poland that was German Prussia for 250 years!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. xi haoyu china

Let's please stop discussion about Europe and Germany now. My opinion is that my country is better but you will say other things which is acceptable. Do not discuss further. Thanks. Let's stop arguing like little toddlers.

Translated by 中英文翻译

• Like Like x 1
  35. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

You are the little todler here. Just because you live in/are Chinese, doesn't make you or your country the centre of the universe. Let others have a proper say.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Locomotives like EU44 Taurus & EU46 Vectron can run on PZB LZB Sifa. EU46 Vectron is also capable of operating Poland to Netherlands via Bad Bentheim Osnabrück Hengelo or Duisburg Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Is this guy for real? :)

• Like Like x 1
  38. ARuscoe

Yeah... not too different to some americans I know

• Like Like x 3
  39. nie Kolejarz#7489

nie Kolejarz#7489 Member

Poland
    as a German province? It's as historical accurate as a China a Japan province.

40. ARuscoe

You're responding to a troll, or certainly someone who acted as such. Long gone...

• Like Like x 1