Whistle Signage On London Commuter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Is there really no W signs on the route anywhere? I haven't seen one sign on the route. Is this the case in real life? I like those signs as I know when to sound the horn rather than doing it randomly. It's no big deal, just curious of its been missed out accidentally or if they just don't have any on this route. Unless iv missed some?

2. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There should probably be one at Reigate, not sure about anywhere else on the route since there’s no need for any warnings really.

3. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

I'm not sure when they use the horn IRL, but I keep using the horn randomly when I see a crossing, am near a station, am passing another train, going into a tunnel, or under a bridge in case there are people on the bridge waving at my train. I figure the more often I use the horn the more fun I'm having and also the more likely I am to be using the horn at the right time, I don't particularly care if I'm using it at the wrong time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

Irl the route only had one whistle board just before wivelsfield. Not sure if that’s changed since. It’s pretty unique in that there aren’t actually many crossing points on the route.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

The train has no whistle. It is horn not whistle. Is much louder

6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I don't remember all that many back in the TS Version, and I'm not aware of too many on the real line, however I believe there may be one or two on the Reigate branch.

The boards are called whistle boards, regardless.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From what I know whistle boards are generally before an uncontrolled crossing, and there aren't that many on the entire line, with the line either being above or below ground level, or four track (I don't know any four track level crossings in the SouthEastern region)

If you look at all the W boards on SEHS they all precede pedestrian or farm crossings

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

In the UK the horn is sometimes called the whistle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Nice explanations, thank you.

10. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

1. The class 377 and 387 actually DO have whistles. (Albeit depot whistles but still)
    2. The signs to use the horn say “W” which is short for whistle and because those signs were first made when steam was the main power it made sense, but as we changed to diesel the signs just stuck

• Helpful Helpful x 2