Railworks Mk1 Coaches

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triznya.andras, Oct 9, 2021.

1. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I just noticed some of us got a little gift. On 4th October, a very old DLC titled "Railworks Mk1Coaches DLC" (#24044, 2010) has been added to my collection - I noticed because I have a new manual.

I can't tell whether its five liveries (BR Blue-Grey, BR Green, Maroon, Maroon-Cream, Brown-Cream) are of much novelty, however it comes with 8 coach types for each, which certainly is. (Two restaurant variants.)

As far as I see from the changelog, it has been added to old Woodhead.

Pure curiosity, does anyone know about the rationale?
    Regardless, might be useful at least as backdrop - or even more, didn't test them yet.

If it's happy news for everyone, enjoy. :)

Attached Files:

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Depends what you call a novelty.

Mk1 coaches were released in Steam days - 1950s and were painted for the regions they were allocated to
    BR Brown - Cream is like the GWR Coaches that ran at that time - have a look at Exeter - Kingswear in the 50s
    https://peter749.piwigo.com/picture?/31462/category/270-uk_coaching_stock
    BR Green was the livery used on the Southern region and matched the Bullied stock
    https://peter749.piwigo.com/picture?/37634/category/161-swanage_railway_2007

The coaches on the London Midland and Eastern Regions were painted at first in Maroon-Cream, known as Blood and Custard
    https://peter749.piwigo.com/picture?/26197/category/270-uk_coaching_stock
    Later they were painted lined Maroon
    https://peter749.piwigo.com/picture?/29186/category/270-uk_coaching_stock
    From the mid 1960s they became Blue and Grey
    https://peter749.piwigo.com/picture?/29197/category/270-uk_coaching_stock

All the liveries are correct and there are preserved coaches running in all of these liveries

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. triznya.andras

Good info, thanks :)
    I knew in general that Mk1 is ye olde rolling stock, I also came across all of these liveries across various DLC.
    What's new to me are the additional types, enabling the setup an actual trainset instead of just 2x first class, 5x second class, 1x brake second.
    Plus, as far as I can see, they seem to have a higher quality.
    And of course with your additional details I can set up slightly more realistic consists if I wish. I gradually care more, I just did a bit of research before setting up my current free roam. (It's not realistic but at least somewhat.)

Of course there are higher quality ones available (found them when trying to figure this out), but for those ignoring 3rd party, this can be news. Especially if you own or consider old Woodhead.

4. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Did you purchase the Class 76/77 add-on? They are included there.

5. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Oh yeah, and the coaches are the old DT Mk1 pack, that Armstrong Powerhouse later sold for a while, before replacing it with their own some time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. triznya.andras

I didn't, they just got added to core Woodhead as well. I didn't link SteamDB.
    Right, so if it's old AP, then it can't be too bad, right? :) Will see. :)

ps. Edit: Really bad wording on my end, I saw the DT logo in the manual, what I mean if it was sold by AP, a respected creator / publisher.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No they are not "Old AP"
    They were made by Digital Traction and they are "ok" but not up to modern standards
    AP just sold them when they purchased them from DT

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Peter is correct. They are Digital Traction models. Also, when AP got the pack, they added the NSE variants to it, which wound up being exclusive. So you cannot get the NSE ones to go with it. I also just replaced some Maroon ones in a scenario today using current WCRC ones since the Maroon ones appear to be an old reskin set.

Anyone with the Armstrong Powerhouse models can upgrade to the newer ones at will, but this is something that might have been done to deal with the problem of lots of old content requiring the old DT set. Now that the old DT set is able to get back in people's hands, it might keep some folks inside that set instead of venturing into the expanded AP set. On the other hand, there are reskins for the DT set still out there, some even marked legacy items by now, that are suddenly going to be back into active reskin models and may further keep some people from upgrading. For instance, an old Virgin repaint of the Mk1s would keep buyers away from the current Red/Black variant in the new pack.

So a good addition from a usability perspective. I already had it from a 2012 key, however, as I think that's where mine came from. Now can we get the IHH Bonus Content reattached to several edited IHH models? That is a crutch that still gets used by some scenario makers since TS2013 when the pack was removed from availability. Should be on the 45, the 7F, and the 105. Maybe even include it on the Western Hydraulics pack since I think those were all IHH as well (the separate 35 and 52 packs should also be bundled with Western Hydraulics and the price of the individual 35 and 52 lowered for those not wanting all three and the bonus content, as no one with the Western Hydraulics should ever buy the separate versions and this would recognize that). Edited scenarios can go with the merged bundle as well to add in the extra wagons where they fit.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

On my PC, at least, the bundled Woodhead scenarios still use the "regular" RSC/DTG Mk1s, it is only the scenarios from the Class 76/77 DLC that use the ex-DT MkIs