Fewer Uk Emus With Small Front Windows

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Purno, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The class 375 and 377 are fine EMUs to drive, but the major downside of those units is their rather tiny front windows, basically preventing you to enjoy the lovely scenery you're driving through. Although probably realistic to encourage the driver to focus on the railway and not be distracted by anything irrelevant, TSW is a game and enjoying the landscape is one of the thing I like about the game.

So when I see a numerous suggestions here, suggesting even more of those UK EMUs (or DMUs) with tiny front windows, the first thing that comes to mind is "NOOOOOO, not more of those...".

So, rather than suggesting a particular route here, I'd like to suggest to skip all those tiny window EMUs, and replace them with EMUs which have actually a better view on the trackside landscape. :)

• Like Like x 12
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Most British MUs have a front connector door as part of the design spec, hence the small cab and windscreen. They apparently don't take the German approach, which is "if you don't like your half of a combined train, tough."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Yeah, gangway connectors are a very common feature of multiple units. Deliberately avoiding trains with small windows would be massively holding back the game simply because of how common they are.

• Like Like x 9
  4. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

You know, they could also always take the Dutch and Japanese approach to front passenger connections which both still keep visibility for the driver.
    upload_2021-10-13_10-10-46.jpeg
    (though these have been done away with a decade ago, the front door locked because it broke down too much)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No they couldn't. UK trains have a lower profile, which is also why you don't see any double deck trains. Neither will you see any rolling stock from 'mainland' Europe in the UK because they simply are too high. They wouldn't fit under bridges and tunnels. :P

• Like Like x 4
  6. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

I see. Well that's a pity than. But it does mean we win another round of "Who has the better trains"!
    Also, the driver could just duck whenever there's a tunnel or something, right? :D
    Brings some adrenaline back into their lives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

That said, I'm more inclined to buy loco DLC like the 465 than another tiny-windowed 313 because they're just more enjoyable to drive with a better view out. Where there's an option, like with the 172, I'd hope they'd bring the 172/0-1 rather than 172/2-3.

Leamington_Spa_-_WMT_172006_Nuneaton_service.jpeg 1920px-WMT_Class_172_Pair_at_Birmingham_Moor_Street.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

See. They do exist. It's just a matter of choosing another train for the route.

The Class 166 is a lovely train to drive, as well as most loco hauled UK trains. Even the 101 has quite a lovely view from the front windows.

It all comes down finding a balance between realism (most relevant for the locals familiar with the route) and gameplay (most relevant for anyone not familiar with the route or being less of a train nut).

• Like Like x 3
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Another idea would be a command similar to the old MSTS Shift 1 which removed the cab front graphic. This might not be so easy to do for the 3D environment of TSW but the devs should put their thinking caps on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buggleskelly

Buggleskelly New Member

There are still many MU's that don't have end gangways, new and old that DTG could use for future loco add-ons and new routes (licensing permitting of course), Networkers, Aventra's, certain BR mk.2 and mk.3 derived units, FLIRTs, IET's to name but a few.

The only exception to this would be on HS1. Back in 2010 an ICE train was hauled through the tunnel to St Pancras to promote a potential future direct link from London to Germany.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  12. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I have to agree the UK should start introducing more trains with large views in the cockpit just for the sake of me enjoying the scenery more in video games. I used the Class 166 on London Commuter and it's a damn shame there are only electrostars on that route because it suddenly felt like I only get half of moneys worth in the Electrostar. Boris should fix this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. solicitr

You can always drive using the 3 camera

14. solicitr

HS1 was built from the start to accommodate Eurostar, which doesn't fit standard UK loading gauge.

• Like Like x 2
  15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

whats wrong with driving with your head out of the cab?

• Like Like x 2
  16. antwerpcentral

I'm not a dog? :D

It's the UK so it's always raining

• Like Like x 4
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nose cam has to happen. I got excited when the new head-out camera was announced thinking it might be a nose cam but it was just a way to put your head out of the window, detach it from your body, and let it float around like a helium filled balloon on a string. So I just manoeuvre the ‘3’ camera to make a nose cam when I want a clear view, but if it hits an invisible wall it doesn’t like it, like going under the bridges near the fancy tunnel entrance on BML, where the camera is glitched underneath the track due to what I assume are invisible walls under the bridges.

If I was a real driver, and indeed as a driver in TSW, I wouldn’t/don’t like the small windows, but as a passenger on a train made of connected units it’s very handy to be able to walk right through. I imagine it helps the guard, or ‘train manager’ or whatever they call them these days to chase youths who don’t have a ticket.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Hence why we need a class 700 for London-Brighton pronto

20171011_120258.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. antwerpcentral

Oh yes! That one would be awesome

• Like Like x 1
  20. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

And the opportunity for some awesome special liveries as well: :)
    IMG_20210904_170428.jpg
    IMG_20210602_112724.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Nose cam gets you the best view on the scenery obviously, but it's also breaking immersion quite a bit. It's quite useful seeing a few gauges and lights on the dashboard, and I have no problems with the German trains, (or with the 166, 66 and 43), which all have bigger windows in the cab.

• Like Like x 1
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not something that I do all the time, it’s just nice to have the option when I want to see the scenery or if I’m parallel running with another train slightly ahead. Most of the time I do runs almost exclusively in the default driver camera, without using any external views at all. Nose cam, if it were to be a thing, could be implemented as an internal camera option or an external camera, the latter would then be an option when travelling as a passenger for a live feed to play as a video without any interaction. Rather than breaking immersion it’s an experience option and gives great views like a rollercoaster’s front seat or the front seat on the upper deck of an open top double decker bus. Rather like my suggestion of being able to use the free drone camera when on foot to be able to watch trains come and go from a high viewpoint instead of head height, it’s another way of using the sim, which maybe wouldn’t be for everyone but could easily be implemented.

23. xi haoyu china

uk train very bore and small screen for front seeing. I want new train for having more big front screen. Big screen more fun and look outside

• Like Like x 2
  24. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'd take any UK train. Gangways or not tbh.

• Like Like x 5
  25. xi haoyu china

Uk trains have very small front window. It makes route bore over time because you have to see little outside view and scenery. With bigger windows it is more fun and makes experience less bore. That is why I like the 166 train in london to redding

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  26. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The train is in a Green 'GWR' Livery, and is the BR (British Rail) Class 43, also known as the High Speed Train (HST) or InterCity 125. Also, "Redding" is known as 'Reading'.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. xi haoyu china

Ok

28. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

The Japanese units would fit the UK loading gauge in terms of height - however they are about 10cm wider than our trains, would that make a difference in terms to fitting a passage around the cab - also would they comply with UK/EU impact rules?

Some of the early UK EMUs were converted from loco hauled coaches and the cab was fitted around the existing gangway structure. - Some later designs had much better visibility but there was a desire to retain a gangway to allow passenger and crew access throughout the train. Though with increased impact protection visibility is going backwards somewhat (see Class 385)

UK Spec gangways are a lot beefier than Japanese ones, but are also much quicker to set up. in Japan the gangway cover bit (I don't know the correct name) is only fitted to one end of the train, when coupled a crew member will have to physically connect the gangway from one unit to the attachment point on the other end. Japan also needs to ensure the units are the correct way round as they can't attach two gangways or worse there isn't a gangway cover. In the UK Coupling and set up takes about 2 mins. Bang units together, open doors, close off cab.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  29. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really good point and if you are wondering what type of couplers British multiple units use they're BSI Dellner and AAR Tightlock couplers. high speed trains use Scharfenburg Couplers

30. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea and how about Great Western Main Line Class 345 TFL Class 800 & 802. Although 800 321 has a Face Mask paint like SEHS 395 002 395 017. West Coast main line Class 390. 390 122 & 390 042 have face mask paint on the coupler door