"we Know Its Not Good Enough" Sam

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by friskey.marcedes, Oct 6, 2021.

1. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I
    I said a good simulator. First off most of those are not first person simulators like TSW is. And the Runner games are so off of physics I don't consider that accurate simulator. Assetto, and project cars are no more a simulation than Forza Motorports. Those are racing games not a simulator. A driving simulator means 1:1 scenery running a cab or just driving to the grocery store.

And Asobo said in the development stream that they could not get FS to run any higher than 15FPS. Which means it does not work to me since I work building games for a living.

So thank you for proving my point that there are no simulators of the same quality of TSW on the older console.

I really don't understand why everyone is expecting and 8 year old console to perform like a high end PC and then blame DTG when it doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  2. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

A lot of those games though are more graphically intense, demanding on the system, and run more or less perfectly, or at least a lot more stable than TSW2.
    Can't remember any of those throwing up a error message saying it's run out of RAM. Think that error in particular shows that DTG have reached the limit now for old gen if its making the game crash due to running out of memory. Though to be, Flight Simulator doesn't run very well on the Series X.

The Xbox has so many different variations though that each run at different specs. Must be hard to compare and scale each version to each console. The original Xbox One, then the Xbox One S which had slightly faster clock speeds or something like that, then the One X, and now the Series X and S.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. roggek

roggek Active Member

One culprit regarding memory, is how many routes you have installed. in TSW2.
    If you have only a few routes installed (including the three rush hour routes) even my XBOX One S is capable to run them without crashes.

So folks, check how mnany routes you have, and uninstall those routes that you don't play atm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Bold of you to assume there are routes I don't play.

Also it is utterly, 100% unacceptable for ANY developer to release any DLC for a game where the total amount of DLC takes the game over its memory limits. That means you need to stop releasing any new content and go back and optimise your core systems before being allowed to release any more addons.

It is however inconceivable, based on the available data about where and when crashes are happening in the new route that this is the culprit. It's almost certainly down to something one of the layers introduced, which is why the crashes are so consistent at certain times on the timetable and seem to go away when specific routes like SEHS are uninstalled.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Boris The Frog

Boris The Frog Active Member

What's good and what's not good is a matter of personal taste and I'm sure that the many hundreds of thousands of gamers who have purchased and enjoyed all of the above (as well as Truck & Bus driver) will testify to that fact.

And just to clarify, nobody is asking for nor expecting performance on last generation consoles that matches that of current gen machines or PC's - they are just asking for a game that works...so please, for the benefit of those who can't afford / can't get hold of a new console don't patronise them with your "I'm ok, I have a Series X" attitude.

• Like Like x 6
  6. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

To be fair to JD, he is not responsible for the state of the game or the management decisions to release on a certain date irrespective of the state of the game. Yes, he and the community team are the face of DTG but they are probably under management instructions to try to tone down the problems publicly for fear of loss of revenue.

I think it is important for us to vent our anger through the community team rather than at them and keep them on our side. Otherwise it will be like eg Tesco’s messing up and you or me shouting at the checkout operator whilst the decision makers hide away in their ivory towers (and believe me, I’ve been there).

• Like Like x 11
  7. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

By potentially toning down the problems, that isn't being honest with the community either, surely they will see trends in revenue and see if they match with feedback, both positive and negative.
    I do agree with your point about directing our frustrations through the community team, then again they are the link between us and the management. Without them passing on feedback, how can the dev team improve the game.
    I'm not singling JD out at all but it seems to me as if his attitude to delivering feedback isn't ideal, I've seen the streams with him and Matt and I cannot recall him challenging him with the feedback to a Sam level, but that's IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  8. fl991r

fl991r Member

I’m sure DTG are under pressure that we are not aware of (perhaps from shareholders, for example), and there is an explanation for why they seem to rush DLC out the door without properly testing it (to the point where the community is able to point out significant errors even just by watching a stream or playing only for a few minutes).

I understand why they need to put a brave face on the streams and emphasize the good things about the routes rather than focus on the problems. After all, the streams are marketing exercises first, and community events second.

That said, I hope they can figure out a way to get out from under these pressures and find a way to focus more on long term outcomes over short term earnings. As the game problems persist, not only might they lose existing players, they’ll also turn off people trying the game out for the first time, such as those playing it on GamePass.

I really like this game and spend more time on it than any other game on XBOX, even with the texture and sound looping issues. That says a lot, since I bought the XBOX specifically for flight simulator and had not even considered playing a train simulator. I am therefore invested in the game having a healthy future. I hope they can figure out whatever is going wrong in QA and find a way to give the routes that little bit of final polish before pushing them out the door.

• Like Like x 7
  9. A Big Chungus

Again, it often is deadlines to meet, shareholders to satisfy etc as to why products are released unfinished. You know, once the company has your money, that's it. They're happy. Of course the Developers are aware of the incoming backlash, as they've most likely been told "prioritise only the game breaking issues, we can patch the smaller bugs later", but again, then you fall into the companies reputation taking a big hit, which is usually when the apologies and C word (Compensation) come in. Is it a poor way to run a business? Morally yes, but of course companies exist for one reason, to make a profit. Unfortunately though word of mouth will spread, and with the rather poor reception Rush Hour has recieved due to bugs and glitches, sales may indeed take a slide if people decide to pay caution to the wind, and be apprehensive about purchasing the next lot of DLC. I feel this is the only way companies will change their whole attitude though, if they see people are no longer rushing to make day one purchases, due to the company having a reputation for releasing buggy products, maybe they'll think hey, maybe we should delay the release date if its not up to scratch.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Giant has killed it with their Farming Sim series. Supporting mods on consoles was just icing on the cake. Love the series.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Sam is brilliant on the preview streams, he has a keen eye and will catch things/ask things if they don't feel right. A classic example was when Matt got done for speeding over a crossover when there was no warning of a speed reduction, HUD or sign posted. I'm sure Sam would have been onto that and not been waffling about vomiting on Victoria station.

• Like Like x 3
  12. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

The thing is Sam once told Matt in a diesel legends preview that he used to be good at spotting bugs

• Like Like x 2
  13. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

When playing for myself I will often make the game do something odd and unrepeatable. The benefit I get when streaming the previews is that I can focus my attention on what's being shown and the comments that come up in the chat - you guys spot as much as I do if it feels out of place, and you'll spot real-world inconsistencies that are beyond my knowledge.

• Like Like x 9
  14. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

The funny part of your comment is the "Delay it if you have to" they delayed all three of the rush hour routes and split the release to polish them and look at how that worked out lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. A Big Chungus

Exactly, they delayed it and it still turned out to be a buggy launch! Just keep delaying, or own it and say "Sorry guys, this just isn't ready yet. It'll be ready when it's ready"

• Like Like x 1
  16. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

Better still, don’t promise a release date of any kind until you know it’s going to be ready for a certain date.

my concern with the release of London Commuter is that it was either released without them realising there were many bugs or worse they released it and did know it contained many bugs.

Best thing to do is not promise a date and leave as a work in progress until you are certain you can release at a certain point.

• Like Like x 2
  17. A Big Chungus

It is highly likely that it was released knowing what condition it was in, however due to deadlines, financial matters, shareholders etc it was released regardless.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

Google the term ‘known shippable’ or read the book by Roy Russell.

19. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

the fact the PS5 version of London to Brighton was not the final build suggests they must have known it was not ready and they were coming in hot

20. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

It was the same on Xbox Series X|S, it was just replaced with the correct build a lot quicker (within the hour), as the DLC didn't go live until much later in the morning, whereas PS5 had it from midnight.

• Like Like x 1