PC Game Won't Launch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lupojohn, Oct 14, 2021.

1. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

So I had no space left on my computer to install anything. I decided to buy a USB flash drive and that fixed that problem.

Little did I know that one of the folders I deleted was Unreal Engine. Luckily, I saved it on the flash drive while I was playing TS2022 (which works fine). I got the game installed with all 9 of my routes and my M3, but when I hit the "Play" button in the Steam launcher or clicked the desktop icon, nothing. I tried un-installing and re-installing the game, clearing cache all over my computer, nothing. I even re-installed the game with just 1 route and the M3 and you guessed it, nothing.

I don't know if I put Unreal Engine in the right place, but I moved it a couple of times until I thought it was in the right place. I verified the files, cleared the Download cache and even changed the password all on the Steam client/launcher, pressed the green Play button, clicked on the desktop icon and still nothing, so not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Can someone kindly give me any sort of help?

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Have you submitted a ticket with Dovetail https://dovetailgames.freshdesk.com/support/home

4. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

No only because it's not a hard fix considering it's only that the Play button isn't allowing me to load the game and they are slow when it comes to responding to a ticket.

I'm sure someone has had this issue without needing to submit a ticket. For those reasons, I posted this thread rather than just directly submitting a ticket. I would prefer not to tbh.

5. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

OK, so I bit and put in a ticket. I totally understand how busy they are at DTG and they did say they would respond when they could, but as I said before, this isn't a complicated issue.

I tried everything: re-install and un-install multiple times, verified the game files, ran it on and off Compatibility Mode, cleared space to run/install, placed the Unreal Engine in several different folders (one location at a time, of course), created a new profile on my computer, backed up the files to another location, etc.

TSW2 has worked on this PC before and, as I said before, TS2022 runs fine. I apologize if I am impatient and again I totally get why they are somewhat slow, but one more time, this isn't a complicated issue and I see people from DTG on here helping others. I also see views on this thread and would appreciate it if one of those viewers could help me.

I apologize for sounding whiny and impatient, but I am receiving no help and am frustrated.

6. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Have you tried re-installing the actual Steam client? This sounds more like where your problem lies, rather than with the actual TSW2 game files.
    I would also re-install directx in case something is corrupt - I know you said TS2022 works, but it might not use the same files.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused by you saying you deleted and moved around the Unreal Engine...the unreal engine isn't something you can delete or move so do you mean the TSW2 game directory in steam ? (ie \Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2)

I would probably second conniethunder's suggestion and completely reinstall the Steam client

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  8. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Thank you both, but I did that, too.

9. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Try temporarily renaming or moving the folder:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2
    and then re-run the game.
    Maybe you have corrupt .ini. files, etc. ?

10. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

The DirectX was the problem. I installed it and it updated itself, so thanks for your help connie and thanks to both of you for your help.

• Like Like x 2