This Is What Going Into A Tunnel With Real Headlights Looks Like

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by paul.pavlinovich, Oct 15, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Please watch this video which clearly shows what driving into a tunnel with real headlights (i.e. not Brittish) on your train looks like.

This is VR T386 now running for SSR running through the Melbourne underground.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

The headlights in TSW have bothered me for a long time. I wish DTG could make some realistic looking headlights!

• Like Like x 3
  3. paul.pavlinovich

oh yes we need better lights!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Whats the point of bright lights in tunnels?
    Would you be able to brake in time if you spotted something?
    Just curious.
    You would think signal lights would be more visible with lower headlight intensity.

• Like Like x 2
  5. paul.pavlinovich

Reality and something to look at is the point. Have you ever tried to play the game in a tunnel in bright daylight around your machine? You can't see anything! Playability and interest are why more light is needed.

It is unlikely in any train anywhere you could brake in time if you spotted something ahead of you.

Paul

6. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Yup the headlights are a problem, not only in tunnels

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

You might not be able to stop in time but the headlights could pick up an issue with the track or structure that needed reporting to the signaller, either to stop the job or let the relevant maintenance staff know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. paul.pavlinovich

If the driver is even looking :). Ride in a cab and you'll quickly see what I mean. They glance out, taken in the line ahead then go back to their instruments and gauges. They look again when its time to do so.

From a locomotive you cannot see track condition unless you're going really slowly. You're just too high up and track and track side features blur at anything above walking pace. Even on purpose built track inspection machines at speed its hard to spot problems - you mostly hear them, stop and go back and look because something sounded wrong. How do I know? Its my main job on the railway :).

20110827_PBR Track Patrol__7844.jpg

I also work on the diesel locomotives so am pretty used to what you can and cannot see from up there. Granted in this shot we're propelling our train, but even without a train in front of you you can't see much below the deck.

PXL_20210618_033936929.jpg

Paul

• Like Like x 1