Higher Speed Detectors On Dresden Route Causing Braking And Unable To Move

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by VolvoB10M, Oct 13, 2021.

1. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I keep having the same problem with the S light coming on and a buzzer or saying something over then the brake applying despite the fact that I did not trigger PZB according to the dash lights (500, 1000 & 2000 all off) as well as PZB will not detect speed according to the tutorials. Because of this I managed over 200km on this route so far but not one run has been completed as this locks the train down and the signaller will not unlock it. The last time I was doing 160 but saw an advanced warning of 120, I pressed PZB but nothing happened. I got down to 120 before the 120 section but this happens immediately on the speed sensors.

How am I supposed to stop these going off?

2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

PZB is based on signal and not always line speed, what was is the preceeding signal telling you?

I had similar issue where the line speed was dropping to 100 and kept going off, but then I realised that the preceeding signal was telling me to expect a 60 at the next signal and my emergency brakes were being applied because I was not slowing down fast enough to hit 70 (PZB M) within the time allowed I didnt get any PZB lights either so assume this is a bug and I reported it as such.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

On Dresden there are additional speed sensors which check whether you are slowing down "fast enough" according to the textbook braking curve; these are what is stopping you. You need to brake harder sooner. As soon as you see a yellow Zs3(v), Vr2 or Lf6, brake hard, don't wait to pass it and acknowledge PZB.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

In addition to this: these speed checks are called ‘geschwindigkeitsprüfabschnitt’ and they will not show trigger any PZB light except for the Zwangsbremsung. You can not react to them in any way, only prevent them by slowing down quickly after a speed drop announcement. Unlike normal PZB 1000hz magnets, GPAs can also apply above 100kmh.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

The sign before was 160 the next sign was 120. I just got the 187 and it is worse since there are no working headlights and the scenario is at night so I can't see a single PZB magnet.

I keep getting the brakes triggering while approaching R signals which I don't have any reference for what it is since the theatre boxes apparently only show speed/10 and R does not indicate a number. It also says something with the brakes on but I don't know what it is and also with the 187 I can't get authorisation to continue and the power won't reapply after releasing the brake.

I seem to also notice the brake seems to drop only 2-3KM/H/S which is a lot slower than anything else so under normal PZB 1K it will not be possible to slow down anyway.

6. solicitr

"R" simply means you're being routed to Riesa. It's not a speed indication, nor anything to do with PZB.

If you're waiting until you can see the magnets to brake, you're waiting too long.

7. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

How are you supposed to know what they are set before you can see them unless you brake for every single signal?

8. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Route knowledge is the prototypical approach. Most drivers drive one route or one small collection of routes their entire lives. People who rove the network are unusual (they do exist, especially in freight). They learn it so well during six to eighteen months of training depending on the railway they just know where everything is.

I operate on a preserved railway that is 26 km long. I know where every speed sign, curve and weird track spot is that I need to slow down for. As it happens I've done so many trips on the railway people can show me photos of just trees and most of the time I can tell them where it is :).

In a game route knowledge is certainly learned, but I don't want to play a DLC for six months just to get it ingrained. It would be nice if there were some subtle hints that would still let you drive hudless but not force you to totally learn the route. I mostly drive hudless once I'm familiar enough and I tend to drive at the speed that feels right or by the signs I've seen. I do keep the next stop HUD on as you'd need to know timetable and route fully to figure that one out yourself (which I'm sure some enthusiasts do).

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

You don't need to see the Geschwindigkeitsprüfabschnitt; if you are braking properly from the (highly visible) signal preceding, they won't bother you. And, again, if you wait until you're close enough to spot them, it's too late to slow down.

Just do what PZB tells you, do it early, and don't try to cheat.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haribo112

Exactly this. In real life, drivers don't wait to slow down so they hit the desired speed exactly at the sign. They brake hard as soon as they spot the yellow / blinking green / speed reduction announcement.

• Like Like x 3
  11. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

What about in situations where there is heavy fog?

12. solicitr

If the fog is so thick you actually can't see the signals, slow down.
    A speed limit is a limit, not a target.

13. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Dresden is one of the better routes when it comes to signalling and PZB. The one major bug there was has been fixed, so I have not experienced anything off reality so far. That means if you get these emergency brakings, they are most likely correct, meaning you did not acknowledge it or did not brake enough. As said before, don't wait until the very end with braking and route knowledge is key. But then even if you don't have it, the German system is set up in a way that it always works. Even with fog and you literally only seeing the signal when you pass it, there is enough time to brake properly without any intervention. And when it is so foggy that you can't see the rails in front of you, maybe you shouldn't go as fast in the first place ;) In the end, you might need to brake harder than normally and you would like, but it works without tripping PZB. :)
    When it comes to you not getting the train to move again, hard to figure out what the issue is from your post. Maybe some screenshots or a video would help us helping you :)

14. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have tried using the BR187 which seems to brake poorly compared with other stock. I understand it is necessary to slow down in fog as you would on the road, but how would you then avoid serious issues due to being late. I don't know if this is the case in any other countries but in the UK train operators are fined heavily for delays and as soon as one train is late, everything else behind it ends up being late and everything goes to pot. I have no idea how Japan manage their tight tolerance for schedules.

15. Cramnor

I believe there are fines everywhere for being late. But everywhere, there is also the golden rule that safety comes before punctuality and economics, so they'll have to live with that I guess

• Like Like x 1
  16. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Up to 10 minutes it is called "normal delay", that can happen in a lot of ways. However here in italy (that are similar to german in some aspects) the signals can show the correct speed to assume and if some train has a delay, it is possible to reduce it only with an aggresive approach or if you will get a full clear just for you. Exemple a parallel run or and override approch when you are eneble to run around 10/15kmh faster. Also on the train schedule there are indicated every danger speed change, just like 160>70 near dresden. All other case have a good space to slow down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

One thing I like about LZB is how you don't have to worry about visibility as the in cab system covers it for you, I assume schedules in areas where LZB and ERTMS are less affected by poor visibility due to this but nothing of the sort exists where I live.

I think there are also similar systems to LZB in development that might allow trains to safely approach the rear of the train in front without having to separate occupied sections. Something like that would really help in areas of the UK where congestion is an issue as you could easily keep your train moving without having to wait for an entire section ahead to become clear. As much as I like the character of classic signalling equipment, I think this would be a good investment.

18. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

Same problem again! I saw the 80 board approaching Dresden but after braking it just started slipping and wouldn't slow down. Now the train has stopped I again tried to get authorisation to move the train but the signaller would not clear the brakes despite advising to continue under the signal indication. How do I clear the brakes?

19. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

This is where I am stuck:

Edit: Sorry, there is no audio I forgot to enable desktop audio in OBS, it is just the sound of the AC though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2021
  20. Cramnor

You see the lever on the right (left of the horn buttons)? Move it forward, it will move a tiny bit and then the brakes should release and you can go again.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

It is as forward as it will go. This always happens after the flashing S was on with the PZB triggering emergency brakes.

22. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

And if that doesn't help, try cycle the master key and reverser to the neutral positions and then then back to on/forward.

23. solicitr

All right, I suspect you went overboard with the braking and locked them up (same thing as flooring the brake pedal in your car- it will skid). The sweet spot is somewhere around B3 to B5 (4 to 6 in the HUD, since it registers 1A and 1B as 1 and 2); full service will result in what you experienced

24. Cramnor

Hmm, okay, I always found that an issue on the Dresden Talent 2, for some reason this leaver is not all the way forward so the brakes won't release.
    Have you tried the parking brake on the left of the left-most screen? Not sure but it looks like that is activated (which would be weird). So for some reason your brakes are not releasing, but I can't really tell why, I had that multiple times and always could get going again :/

25. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

On a 442 I would assume they should automatically release and reapply to stop skidding. How do I unlock the brakes as the signal box/control centre has given authorisation to continue but I can't receive the command to the unit to release the brakes. As far as I understand the normal procedure after penalty braking is to remove the driver from the train with them immediately being fired as a driver, and having a substitute resume control before the signaller releases the train under instruction. Does this mean it is not possible to continue in any session after the PZB has triggered?

26. Cramnor

That's a bit over the top :D That wouldn't happen in reallife, and certainly not in TSW.
    As said before, PZB emergency brake is not the end of the game, it happened to me as well and I could easily get the train moving again. In your case the brakes are not releasing, but I cannot identify why from your video, maybe someone else is more successful. I'll try to shoot a video later how I reset the train, maybe that will help, otherwise I don't know how to help you at the moment, sorry :(

27. solicitr

No, trains don't have antilock brakes!

28. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I tried to control the train from the rear unit as I am in a double formation but it would not work. I have now shut the leading unit down and isolated the battery and restarted the rear unit with the front one dead and I have managed to get the train moving enough to propel in to Dresden-Neustadt. However, I have a feeling any electrical problem will resume once I turn the battery back on, on the first unit.

29. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

As I assumed, as soon as I turn on the BIS on the front unit, the brakes are locked on again. Is there no way to carry out the part where the signaller would enable the train after giving instruction? I was joking about the driver being fired but I know there are procedures that require them to be immediately swapped out IRL (at least in the UK anyway).
    Passenger units in the UK built from the 1980s with EP brakes have had WSP which is similar to ABS. I know the Sprinter family as well as electric units from the same era had it and I think Pacers had it too since they were fitted (or retrofitted in the case of the 141s) with the same three step EP system as the Sprinters. I would have thought the BR442 would have something similar. I would get a video of a unit from an AP enhancement pack in TS classic doing it but since TS22 updated it did a full verification so I need to install all the AP addons separately again. I might be able to get the class 465 to do it but I don't know if WSP is included in TSW.

30. solicitr

WSP reduces slippage but doesn't prevent it. The nature of pneumatic brakes means that they can only cycle at a very finite rate.

• Like Like x 1
  31. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Many modern ones do. Locomotives do have slip detection both for acceleration and braking and will change the power or braking to accommodate and reduce the slip as well as automatically dropping sand. You're right that is this complex and is unlikely to eliminate the slip only reduce it.

32. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

On the DVT it does not give any braking time at all. I literally pressed the PZB and then got penalty braked after less than 8-10 seconds, also once again I cannot reapply power after getting penalty braked since the train has not been cleared.

33. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

On the Talent 2 after a PZB brake, you simply have to wait a few minutes until the train release. No authorisation to release brakes, no shenanigans with switching cabs. Just patience.

34. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Are you sure you understand the signals on this route properly? For example I was always getting the emergency brakes on the yellow aspect with yellow line below, because I thought it applies from the NEXT signal, and so I did not have 60km/h at the time of passing this signal (yeah, I know, should have checked how it works before :) ). But you need to have 60km/h max already at that signal. Perhaps you do similar mistake.
    Probably best to make a video where you get penalized on the PZB and it will be easy to see and help you what you are doing incorrectly.

Really? A few minutes? That seems strange, in Talent 2 I am always up and ready to go within 30 seconds of getting PZB emergency braking. Simply reset throtle/brake lever to 0 and press PZB free. Brakes start to reset and as soon as they are recharged (10 seconds max), you're ready to go.

35. Haribo112

Important thing about the Talent 2: you start of with the (separate) train brake in notch 'hold'. This prevents the brakes from releasing after a Zwangsbremsung. You need to set the train brake to 'release', I just do this in advance when I'm setting up the train. Default key on PC for this is ';'

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Okay, I didn't time it, and emotions make time subjective. So let's say: somewhere between here and a small eternity ;)