New Player Need Advice

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chacal#2181, Oct 11, 2021.

1. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Being a complete new train sim fan and TSW2 being my first train Sim i m looking for some advice for good routes and or locos.

Well, im still not completly sure what i like the most. Still i know what im not interested for now :
    - i dont want US routes. More a old Europe guy.
    -i dont want drive freight lines. More passengers.

Now about UK or Germany, i dont have any preferences there. I feel i can like both, but would like to concentrant myself on only one.

I dont like unfinished routes. For exemple the é base game ICE is very nice but a journey of half an hour is way to short in such à fast train. For these reason i would like régional trains, commuters. I like thé idea of the circle line for exemple.

Thanks for your answer :D

2. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Then I strongly suggest Dresden-Riesa as you get a ton of locos and trains with the route. The regional routes are very well done. And talking about ICE's? Well, an ICE travels several hundreds of kilometres a day. We will never have a complete ICE/IC route in game because this is just impossible to produce. So of course every ICE/IC service will feel a bit "short". But I sill think driving the ICE (or the IC, if you buy the DB BR 101 DLC) is great fun and the regional services with the Talent 2, the BR 146, BR 143 or the Cab Car are quiet enjoyable. Also the route has great varienty in paths: You have one main route, then you have another route next to the main route for the non-stopping trains and you have the Meißen-branch line where the regional services go. So great variety in locos, variety in tasks and branches and overall a nicely done route, especially at night.

Also the London-Brighton route offers similar gameplay. If you want to have both routes, then i suggest you to buy the season ticket where you get 3 routes (Dresden; London; Boston) for just 40 bucks instead of paying 30 bucks for each route. So even if you're just interested in only 2 of the 3 routes, the season ticket is the best option. And of course you still own the 3rd route tho. If you're into passenger services even the Boston route offers nice gameplay :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Some of my recommendations:
    Main Spessart Bahn (Germany) is a nice route, if somewhat starting to show its age (it was released quite a few years ago) - the stock from it appears on most routes that came after it if you have it installed. It has a mix of freight and regional passenger runs. Ruhr Seig Nord (Germany) is a similar style route (if a bit slower) but really pretty IMO, and the BR155 DLC for it is lovely.

Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr (Germany) has a nice mix of regional and s-bahn trains, and the separately available BR101 DLC for it is lovely (in fact I'd recommend it just for the 101).

If you get the Rush Hour ticket, it comes with Reisa - Dresden (Germany) and London - Brighton (UK). Both of these have large variety in the services (even if there's only 2 types of train on the Brighton route). Dresden, I think, is absolutely gorgeous. London-Brighton has the busiest timetable of any route (but you'll need a fairly powerful machine to run it well)

Being from the area, I naturally will hold a soft spot for Tees Valley Line (UK), and I'd particularly recommend its loco DLCs, the Class 31 and the Class 20, which I really enjoy driving although they're freight - it does come with a heritage passenger DMU though.

Cathcart Circle (or as they appear to be rebranding it - "Scottish City Commuter") (UK) is a lovely little commuter line in Glasgow. It's a bit slow (most of the speed limits are 30-40mph) but you barely notice to be honest because the stations are so close together. It's got some really nice scenery and an interesting timetable and a lovely EMU, the Class 314.

Great Western Express (UK) was the first DLC they made, and it is starting to age (although they're going to start bringing it mroe up to date soon). It has a good mix of local stopping and local express runs, as well as the Intercity 125 and a lot of the scenery holds up.

4. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I personally would also suggest South Eastern High Speed.
    Lot's of grumbles about it, but as I use it in real life, it's no so bad and there are several mods which improve it.
    Plus I enjoy driving it which is the bottom line.

5. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

I agree with matinakbary that Nahverkehr Dresden (Dresden-Riesa) is the best German DLC to get at the moment.
    The UK routes are all quite pretty (I like Northern Trans-Pennine, even though it's quite old now), but I prefer the challenge of the German safety systems - once you learn how to use them, they force you to pay much more attention, so to me it feels more like "really driving a train".
    Haupstrecke Rhein-Ruhr looks great and is great fun, but it's a little short. Wait for a sale for this one. My other favourite German routes are Ruhr-Sieg Nord and Main-Spessart-Bahn.

Here is Matt's tutorial on German signalling and safety systems - it all sounds terribly complicated at first, but once it clicks, you'll never look back:

• Like Like x 1
  6. chacal#2181

Thanks for all your propositions. I will study them and will chose beetween.Probably a litlle of UK and German as all have some appel for me.
    À good start may be :
    - rush hour ticket for the 2 routes in Europe.
    - cheap Tsw 2020 as i found it for 10 euros and that should give me GWE, Main-Spessart-Bahn and Northern Trans-Pennine that you recommandé all.
    -carthart circle as its really appealing to me.
    I should be good for some time:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. chacal#2181

FD1003
    Thanks for your compréhensive answer.
    Its even more clear for me, and you have cleared for me all thé headache about layering and substitutions that wasnt perfectly clear.

I still think that at least thé préservéd routes that i can have cheap will do for me.
    The rush hour ticket seems really great but i have some concerns about FPS and overall performance.
    The Carthart will définitly find à place.

Still à question : when i have some layering, will AI trains appears or is this just i can use such à train ? Sorry if im not clear. So thé more add ons, thé more trains on routes that have layering ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I like many more hope so!

9. chacal#2181

I wanted to thanks all the community that answered.
    I'm the happy owner now of TSW2 with MSB, RH Ticket, and via TSW2020 of GWE, MSB and NTP plus Cathcart Circle :)

I'm enjoying them all, veru casually but it's a no end pleasure to just sit as passenger and enjoy the journey.

As for now my prefered are The Brighton Line (long, busy, i like evruthing iside) ant Cathcart Circle (a complete, not too long, slow line around city and suburbs.
    MSB is very nice also, I have yet to try GWE and NTP.
    Finally Dresden I cant relly give a comment as it has too much stutters for being playable on my rig. (I5 6500 (2015 !) , 2070, 32Go RAM)

Curiously i was sure I will not like Bakerloo (spended too much time in real metro in Paris to want be back underground), but finally it's fine and i'm happy with it.

I will keep them for a moment but if some saves appear i will probably like East Coastway and another german line.

Again thanks all !

• Like Like x 4
  10. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

That's very similar to my setup (albeit i7 4790K and 16GB), and Dresden is perfectly playable (40fps except for some of the 'busy' sections) at 4K Ultra (100%). Do you have an SSD?

11. chacal#2181

Yes, evrything is on SSD. I have a very good FPS and i play only at 1980x1080, but hats the stutters that make it unplayable., with sound and video stopping for few microseconds. I will try to limit my FPS to 40-50 maybe it will help.
    I suppose my CPU is quite old and seems overhelmed by the sim.
    IMO your I7 is quite more capable both in single threads or in multi by the way, bu there is something else maybe.

12. Clumsy Pacer

For me it depends where you spawn on the Dresden route. I've spawned at Meissen and Reisa and had nice FPS the whole way into Dresden. I've spawned at Dresden and got around 15-20 fps, and I got heavy stuttering spawning at Gavelsberg(?) or wherever the branch at the Reisa end goes to.

On Brighton, many services I've started in not Victoria I had descent frame rate, but spawning at Victoria? I've seen PowerPoint presentations that have more FPS.

13. chacal#2181

Curiously enough Victoria is free of stutters and good FPS for me....

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You can reduce stuttering by going into your pc's system settings and turning pagefiling OFF. It won't eliminate stuttering, but will reduce it. You can reduce it further with tweaks to your engine.ini file, if you want to get that in-depth.

It also helps to shut down all other apps you might have running.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  15. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I agree with your point about the i7 versus i5. It may be worth your experimenting with DX12, which offloads some work from the CPU to the GPU - for me it doesn't make much difference, but it might with your i5.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  16. chacal#2181

Thanks but what kinf of tweaks in engine.ini can help with stuttering?

17. chacal#2181

Yep i'm already using TSW2on DX12. :)

18. solicitr

r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2

These force the game to preload all assets; makes for a longer pre-game load time, but you don't get hitches associated with tile streaming load-in.

19. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I can't find the engine.ini since the update?
    Where is it?
    Thank you

20. Clumsy Pacer

It should be in the same place -
    Steam: Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    Epic: Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2EGS\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

21. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it doesn't have the same files as before

22. solicitr

It's still called engine.ini, no matter what else is in the folder.

23. chacal#2181

Thanks for this advice.
    Unfortunatly for me there is no change. :(
    Stutters in DRESDEN and even Stutters elsewhere ( but far less gamebraking While still annoying)