West Cornwall Showcase

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rob39, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

As soon as this appeared on the roadmap I was likely to buy this route.
    The time period was good, the 150/2 was a unit that interested me. I was surprised to find out that the dlc would only comprise of a dmu and class 37, but hey it has livery designer and would be a welcome addition.
    Post stream- utterly disappointed. I thought Carbis Bay and St Ives were ok, after the scary muddy beach screenshots. Penzance is looking like a small village. Hayle looks like something from minecraft, and theres miles upon miles of unfinished looking urban areas with bare lineside scenery, add to that, a potential aws sound issue. No joint sounds on the 150. Serious doubts now about buying, and if I did buy. It wouldn't be to use the route. Sorry but has to be said. DRA and BML to this?

• Like Like x 9
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If you are expecting a 3rd party route to be to the standards of DRA & BML you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. It was in development at the same time as these routes so the upgrades where never going to be available to a 3rd Party developer prior to being released by DTG.

Personally I was actually impressed although my expectations where zero. The Class 150 starting revs did seem to low prior to setting to how I remember the reallife trains are but barring this issue its a solid model, hopefully they can fix the smoke issues and it comes raildriver supported.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Not BML level, no,but that considered I would expect a route that could stand up to the tsxx equivalent. Right now the JT Cornish Mainline tsxx Penzance to St Austell section puts this next gen TSW2 route in the shade.

4. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

This should have been an easy day 1 buy for me as I love Cornwall. I've been visiting it for more than 40 years and lived in Truro for a while.

For once, the actual train driving was going to be inconsequential for me on this. It was all about the scenery. It's difficult to judge from a single stream where someone else is controling the viewpoint but I just didn't get the Cornish vibe I was hoping for.

In no particular order:

I didn't spot a single tin mine engine house (ruined or otherwise). I'm sure there must be at least one visible from the track especially around Redruth and Camborne.

There are only a handful of distinctive buildings along the route so I thought they might have put a little more effort into Truro cathedral than simply bolting three churches together.

I didn't hear any ambient sounds to speak of but the sound was turned down so that we could hear everybody. At any part of the coast in Cornwall you'll hear a constant noise from the seagulls.

I didn't see Carn Brea with it's monument. Near Redruth, this is easily spotted for miles around.

I'd have thought Godrevy Lighthouse should have been visible when on the branch line. It can be seen from St Ives and beyond.

Maybe I'm being harsh and a bit too fussy but I was just hoping for something to say to me, yes that's Cornwall. For most of the route, it could have been anywhere in the UK. It's the landmarks and the distinctive Cornish buildings which would have made the difference.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Highest point in Cornwall, yes you can see it for miles. Generic Truro Cathedral? Route was terminating there originally.

6. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

The cathedral is only visible in the distance from the rail line, unlike (say) Cologne. Creating a precise replica, when only the three towers can really be seen, would have been a labour of love, not a commercial decision.

7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

As I have mentioned in previous streams, at present St. Ives and Carbis Bay are atrocious. People can judge the real route here as far as Truro.

Compare for yourself

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

community is very picky. at least you have this another uk route.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Remember TSW 2 Is pushing to be a AAA level game. What AAA game do you know that sells indie level addons at regular price? Although £24.99 isn't the biggest issue for me, I've skipped a few DLCs in anticipation of this route, to claim that the resources aren't there to meet expectations, but then charge the regular price anyway doesn't sit well with me personally. Added to the fact, West Cornwall probably wont be represented for a long time in TSW if ever now that its been "done".
    With it being Cornwall, I'm still trying to persuade myself to buy this route regardless, but unless there are some assurances that this route isn't simply going to be abandoned, I wont be. If Rivet cannot afford to review this route, then please let the Dovetail preservation team give it a pass, surely its in everybody's interest to have WCL be a solid springboard for countless DLCs.
    Cornwall was a good opportunity. No issues for performance as the timetable wouldn't be in any way taxing. If this route was done well, and reasonably accurately, Rivet and DTG could be making WCL DLC for years on the back of it. Whilst I can find many examples, Hayle where the view from the viaduct to the distant estuary is surprisingly well done, the town surrounding the viaduct looks half baked. Similar to this there are buildings placed on grass with no logical connection to its urban scene setting. The really dark lineside gravel doesn't have any place being there. There are areas missing foliage or fencing meaning that the mainline simply merges into farmland. Truro needs a few connecting roads and trees, The A30 could do with road signs or traffic ideally, Miles on miles of clean cable trunking asset laid without thought by the looks, the platforms are very clean and repetitive, the disused platforms and lineside gear look brand new. I'll provide photo reference on this one, Penzance ( where the route ends) The station interior is done quite nicely, but the Town itself is unrecognisable. Long Rock Depot looks odd with no scenic stock, people or equipment clutter.
    Below Penzance in reality vs Rivet Penzance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  10. xi haoyu china

whaat is major difference?

11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Shall I plaster this thread with more examples, because they're easily found..

• Like Like x 2
  12. xi haoyu china

k

13. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Please bear in mind that this is a train simulator. Whilst the scenery should be a passable approximation of the real thing, it is not the priority to make it 100% accurate. If they were to make every square inch of scenery photo realistic and 100% like the real thing, we’ll probably be waiting years for it, or never get it released because the company would go bust without the sales.

If it is not to your standard, fair enough but it’s close enough for me and I am happy with the general feel of it. It’s certainly Rivet’s best yet from what we have seen. Yes, certain major elements could still do with improvement such as the view towards the town on the approach to Penzance but I’m convinced enough to buy it.

I think the approach to take from the customer perspective is to think, is it good enough for me now because it is clear that non game breaking errors, including scenery, are unlikely to be changed post release.

• Like Like x 6
  14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Junior Hornet, I think you will change your mind when you buy it. The route doesn’t feel like Cornwall. Yes the stations are good and I hope Rivet make a concertive effort this week before release to correct some of the many flaws. When this route was announced it was at the top of my purchase list. I will see what it’s like and buy it at a price I think it deserves in the sales. DTG, BA etc, will be posting videos after release.

• Like Like x 3
  15. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Whilst WCL does - clearly - have it's flaws, it is seemingly the best Content that Rivet have come out with yet, and the 1938 stock was decent, so they are seemingly improving, long may that last.

I think it is concerning that Penzance reverted to the stone age, but overall I think the route looks alright, with a nice 150 (model-wise) coming with it.

But that's my opinion.

That's because they/we want routes they/we like to be good and accurate.

How would you feel if they pulled out a Chinese route and it was just a dirt field with a track through it? I doubt you'd be impressed.

And why the subtle dig towards the OP for this being a British route? The British Community is one of the largest in game, and (so it seems) the largest on the forums.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. xi haoyu china

Yes, it is very sad

• Like Like x 1
  17. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It's not sad to the majority of people.
    I.e. the UK Community (of which I am part of), this post here is kinda rude to everyone who likes UK Railways.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that TSW is a AAA game, or is meant to be. The studio and playerbase are far too small for that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

What's a "AAA level" game? My understanding was that AAA refers more to the company/ies behind it.

It's a AA at most.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think you're overlooking the economic realities. Train simming is very much a niche market. Genuine AAA studios (Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, Bethesda) make their profit on very small marginal return but massive sales volume. DTG have to pay the rent, keep the lights on and meet payroll based on sales a tiny fraction of what the big boys enjoy for action shooters and RPGs.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Not selling WCL to paying customers in its best possible state, ruins their income and damages future add ons though. I only quote AAA from a stream at the time that tsw 2020 was released a new green ui and mastery was introduced alongside Xbox Game pass. Giving it more of a polished AAA feel. Again not my words. The words of DTG.

22. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just checked the batteries in the controller. They are definitely AA (or at least were before I got a rechargeable unit for it).

• Like Like x 1