Train Sim World 2 - East Coastway Elder

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

But again, not really comparable, because he's one man band, maybe has other sources of income and doesn't have to worry about a studio-full of designers and developers who can't pay their mortgage if he gives away the content they're creating for free. Any money he makes from what may well be a free-time hobby may be a bonus, and enough incentive for him to keep adding new content, including freebies. What's the dev difference between a bit of new fishing kit and a new EMU? I'd guess: significant.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that, a lone independent developer is most likely not doing game development as a career but as a hobby. Of course, there will be exceptions for particularly successful one person developed games but for the most part, it will be a secondary source of income to another job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Explain how the Devs and company are going to get payed for making this then.

If the price is an problem to you, wait for one of the regular sales - easy.

This same "we deserve something free" debate came up when PS lost access to DLCs (a bit backwards considering you'd have a new free DLC but not what you payed good money for), and it went nowhere because

A) it's not practical for DTG.
    B) it's just a silly idea, really.
    C) they aren't a charity.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I’m not underestimating the difference in sales between GT and TSW. It’s pretty obvious, but the point was that free DLC is not the utopian thing some people try to make it seem like. Besides, 9.5 million GT players do not equal 9.5 million sales, and the latest title was far from the most popular in the series. The sheer amount of free DLC it got was really impressive and generous. Snowrunner does have paid DLC, but the point was it also has a couple of free ones.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have my old 8088 system, sure wish I could run all the routes on that system as well….

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nielsen

Good luck, but before ranting about it you may want to look into which platforms are officially supported by TSW2.

7. LeadCatcher

Look up "Sarcasm" - The 8088 is a 1980's era CPU, forgot that many are a bit younger than I and might miss that historical fallacy of my comment.

Enjoy :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nielsen

I’m surprised you didn’t get the sarcasm in my response. You basically poked fun at me expecting the game to work on an officially supported platform, and you did it by pointing to a defunct system from the jurassic era. That was the actual message in my reply.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  9. LeadCatcher

Ok Touche' -- I should have changed my response to - Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.7 GHz runs but does not provide me Ultra settings and runs Dresden smoothly.

Those are the minimum specs for the PC CPU - I am afraid the PS4 is a bit long in tooth, If I had a minimum Spec PC - wouldn't expect it to keep up with newer DLC, especially since each DLC provides increased functionality like the PIS, increased traffic levels in both AI and passenger. Supported does not mean running everything will all features maxed out and expecting 90FPS.

Now if there is another problem with Dresden on the PS4 other than performance, then I apologize for my comment. But if we expect our minimum level PC's and base level consoles to set the most common denominator that developers must target, then all future DLC will be restricted in functionality. Trust me, I feel your pain, but since simulation (flight in particular) has been my hobby for the past 35 years, I have been willing to upgrade my hardware to be able to get the fidelity I desire in my simulations and never begrudged the advancement of the complexity of the simulations.

Have a great day!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nielsen

The main concern I had with Dresden was a Playstation-specific problem with crashes to desktop. It has since been partially adressed by fixing the BR 101 being invisible on the timetable, but some issues still remain. My comment was never meant as performance critique, because this route actually runs rather fine on PS4 when it runs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeadCatcher

My apologize then -- not owning a console, I missed that problem and assumed, as many on the consoles and under powered PC usually do when posting, it was a performance issue - I am in agreement with you then, it needs fixing and again mea culpa for jumping to false assumptions with incomplete information on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I know that this is not practical, but i am just saying just a small appreciation for us, basically, a way to show how they really appreciated us buying their product, even when most of the time newer stuff have bugs and glitches that we encounter, please understand where i am trying to come from. And of course not all the time for the freebie, that's is not what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

One question about this DLC, maybe something for the stream on Friday:
    Will the 313 bring a new timetable to ECW? In particular, will the London Victoria services between Lewes and Seaford/Eastbourne be included (now that more 377 will be available/can be re-used as on BML)? Or will 313 services just replace the 377 services to Lewes and Seaford?

• Like Like x 2
  14. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Now if someone has played the original TSW and followed DTG then they would know that when TSW2 came out DTG has really turned the ship around when it comes to communication and fixing the game. There might be some bugs in the game but DTG has been working really hard to communicate what is being worked on and to fix and improve what we already have. I have no problem paying for something that time and effort was put in to make it.

• Like Like x 5
  15. trainsimplayer

This.

The communication difference between TSW2020 and TSW2 is day and night.

TSW2020s was virtually non-existent, similar to how it remains in TS today, with an article or two, and a couple of streams
    previewing content shortly before it releases.

TSW2 came along and, Roadmap! We can see what's coming ahead of time.
    With the Rush Hour issues, they came out and were honest, they messed up with the build-up and release, and they seem to be turning the ship around on that front.

The Quality of DLCs is also improving, Cathcart, Dresden and Brighton are all (for the best part) High Quality and relatively busy routes, with excellent trains (Dresden's are all improved on previous versions for the most part, BML's 377 has better sounds and upgrades to PIS, of course the 387 is similar, however with a couple of things here and there)

Even Boston, despite notable issues around the place, is quite good.

Now I may have a bit of optimism taking hold of me considering I haven't got the Season Pass yet (Roll on Thursday please :D), however Dovetail on near enough all fronts are on an upwards trend, long may it continue!

- Positive Rant Over :)

• Like Like x 9
  16. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

true, that they have come a long way, I think they should start doing season pack going forward, but i mean really good best demanding route, such as New York pack which have the newest route for NJT, Metro-North, and Amtrak Acela, or even Path train, but you get the point. Basically more season pack. They should also start doing some holiday mission, where people do certain amounts of in-game mission to get really cool item that is theme towards that specific holiday such as new thanksgiving decal, or backdrop while in-game, and when is Christmas, there will have Decal target toward Christmas, and maybe new overall lay, when you load up the train in the time table.

17. trainsimplayer

Well, typical Dovetail do bundles every year, with the Train Simulator releases being a shining example of this.

TSW has had 4 (I think), with TSW Base Game (NEC + GWE + RT {CSX Available on PC}), TSW2020 (LIRR + NTP + MSB), TSW2 (SPG + BKL + SKA), and Now Rush Hour (NEC:BP + BML + DRA).

It seems like Spirit of Steam is set to be the next bundle, whenever it comes.

So bundles are a thing of the past...
    ...And the future. :)

18. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

But they should do it more, at first i didn't like the idea of it, but now i think is more worth it, but the team should have the option of bundling 3 or 4 route into the pack, still haven't seen 4 route pack for tsw 2

19. trainsimplayer

Technically the Deluxe(?) Version of the game came with East Coastway, so that was four.

And the Rush Hour Deluxe Bundle has 6!

Bundles are good as dedicated releases once a year or so (at minimum), however not so much when too often released.

20. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The Roadmap is so informative when we get told 'We have fixed the bugs but we can't release the fixes yet' and is some cases waiting for months and some are still not done.

• Like Like x 1
  21. appledates#4945

I agree that it can be frustrating waiting for a certain bug to be fixed, I myself am waiting for the Xbox sound issue to be fixed but even though they sometimes can’t give us an exact date on stuff. Knowing it is being worked on has made a positive difference at least.

• Like Like x 1
  22. dhekelian

Oh yeah I agree and I accept exact dates can't and shouldn't be given but leaving it right before release is not ideal either. From other games and communities people just like to be kept in the loop, odd screenshots and the like, even problems and difficulties. I think DTG could learn something there and bring the community in rather than arms length as it is now.

23. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Maybe take a leaf from Microsoft's book and have a "Super Tuesday" equivalent... Every Month (six weeks... pick a period) a super update is released with all the fixes they've done and tested. This will be the ONLY thing released in that week and allows reporting of new issues back to DTG. Combine this with a roadmap release in that week detailing the issues fixed and it might go some way to giving people faith that issues are being addressed, and that they will only ever have to wait a few weeks for the next batch of fixes

Admittedly it may not be the issues people WANT to be fixed that week, but some progress is better than no progress in my book

• Like Like x 2
  24. appledates#4945

I actually really applaud DTG for even attempting to create a road map for TSW2 especially considering how this community can be sometimes, but I think they have done a good job and will continue to learn.

• Like Like x 5
  25. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

It seems they may be taking this social distancing a little too far.

• Like Like x 1
  26. dhekelian

Hahahahha