Liverpool - Manchester (via Warrington)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Oct 17, 2021.

?
  1. Yes!

91.7%
  2. Maybe/Not Sure

8.3%
  3. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    The original Train Simulator has many classic routes, and one of the greatest? Liverpool (Lime Street) to Manchester (Piccadilly).

Running from Liverpool's Lime Street Terminus in the Merseyside City, Heading East to Manchester's bustling Piccadilly Terminus. Taking the Non-Electrified route via Warrington, this route is a classic from TS that deserves a place in the next step in train simulation.

The Route
    The route runs for 34 Miles and 63 Chains (~56km), and has 24, with an extra couple on MerseyRail lines, but not used by Northern (or in-game, unless a merseyrail loco was added) a few visible Metrolink tram stops, and the Euroterminal Freight Yard.

Let's take a look:

Stations
    Liverpool Lime Street
    [​IMG]

Edge Hill
    Mossley Hill
    West Allerton
    Liverpool South Parkway
    4944189_dbde539f.jpg
    Hunts Cross

Halewood
    Hough Green
    Widnes
    Sankey for Penketh
    Warrington West
    Warrington Central
    3447919_0cc83667.jpg

Padgate
    Birchwood
    Glazebrook
    Irlam
    Flixton
    Chassen Road
    Urmston
    Humphrey Park
    Trafford Park
    (Euroterminal)
    Manchester United Football Club
    Deansgate
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Manchester Oxford Rd.
    _103870806_08b74a97-8f3b-4d34-a0cc-d68dbffa49ad.jpg
    Manchester Piccadilly

(Platforms 13-14 for player services)
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock

BR Class 142 DMU
    - Northern Rail Debranded Livery
    [​IMG]

Built by British Leyland & BREL between 1985 and 1987, the Class 142, better known as the Pacer, is a literal bus on rails, with numerous similarities to the Leyland Bus.

Hated by many and loved by many, the Pacers departed the UK Network in December 2020, with Transport for Wales withdrawing the last one.

I feel this would be a fitting route to put it on in-game, not only as it would offer a fine contrast to the brand new Class 195s, and represent a transition period, but also because they are - love or hate them - icons of the British Railways.

(Also, the 142 came as a loco DLC for Liverpool - Manchester on TS, but as that's set in BR days, and this is modern, it would be different)

BR Class 150/2 DMU
    - Northern Trains Livery
    [​IMG]

One of the most common units on the Northern Network, the Sprinter family, which the Class 150 is part of, are a common find on Northern's network, and fit this route quite well.

With Rivet Games' West Cornwall Local coming with the Class 150, there is a base there. Ideally this version could get better sound mixing but that's beside the point.

The Class 150 would be an excellent addition to any Northern route.

BR Class 195/0 and 195/1 DMU
    - Northern Trains Livery
    [​IMG]
    195/0: 2 Car Variant ↑ | ↓ 195/1: 3 Car Variant
    1280px-Lancaster_-_Arriva_195101_Manchester_service.jpeg

The Class 195 finds itself as the new generation of DMU on the Northern Network.

Recently constructed, and entering services mid-2019, the 195 is really the new kid on the block, that is Northern Rail.

Whilst it may not be as iconic as the Pacer or Sprinter, it would be a breath of fresh air for those who prefer modern units to the old BR stock, and also houses variety on the route, with a variety of rolling stock, new and old, being visible on the line.

Services
    It will be no surprise to learn that this line is quite busy, being a key connection between two major cities.

Let's take a look:

Player Services:

1tph • Liverpool Lime Street - Manchester Piccadilly (Manchester Airport)
    - (Calls at: Liv. Sth Parkway, Warrington W. Warrington Cent. Birchwood, Irlam (irregular), Urmston (irregular), Oxford Road and Piccadilly)
    - Class 195, Class 142

1tph • Liverpool Lime Street - Manchester Oxford Road
    - Calls at: Mossley Hill, West Allerton, Liv. Sth Parkway, Hough Green, Widnes, Warrington Cent, Padgate, Birchwood, Glazebrook (1tp2h), Irlam, Flixton, Chassen Road (1tp2h), Urmston, Humphrey Park (1tp2h) Trafford Park (1tp2h), Deansgate and Oxford Road
    - Class 195, Class 142 and Class 150

1tph • Liverpool Lime Street - Manchester Oxford Road

- Calls at: Edge Hill, West Allerton, Liv. Sth Parkway, Hunts Cross, Halewood Hough Green, Widnes, Sankey for Penketh, Warrington W, Warrington Cent, Birchwood, Irlam, Flixton, Urmston, Deansgate and Oxford Road
    - Class 195, Class 142 and Class 150

AI Services
    This route also has a plethora of AI Services, especially around Manchester and Liverpool.

Sadly, many use Electric and other Diesel stock not on this route.

Of course, 331 services could be represented with Class 195s (it's AI to make the place feel a bit more alive, who really would be bothered?).

Railtours
    Railtours would be available, using stock from NTP. NTP just fits with this well, being a route on/out of Manchester and all.

Freight
    Freight on this route could take good use of the Euroterminal Freight yard outside Manchester City Centre.

This could use a Class 66 layer from ECW or GWE, maybe feature a few shunting runs around the yard with a Class 08 (in a more modern livery, maybe EWS or something?) for this.

My Thoughts
    As I said nearer the start, I personally think this is a Classic Train Simulator route that truly deserves to make a comeback in TSW.

I don't imagine that Northern is/will be a hard license for DTG to get anymore, considering their work with the DfT in the past.

As for the Rolling Stock, the 150 is simple enough to explain - we have one, and it fits this route really well, so why not bring it over and upgrade it.

The Pacer is, as I said previously, an iconic unit of British Railways (for better or worse), and also fits this route very well. And was also one of the DLC for the TS Route.

As for the 195, it is not only the modern unit of this line, but also serves as a different option to the older traction found in the 150 and 142.

The good thing is, the 142 and 195 would substitute with each other, meaning you could skip the other as much as you want, if you want.

Anyway, I think this route would be brilliant for TSW in the future, and I hope this suggestion has sold it to you as well.

(P.S. I forgot the mention this is technically the ancestor of the world's first railway, so that's a bonus. Maybe a Rocket DLC with Spirit of Steam :D)

Anyway, all that aside, Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

(A section at least of) The original! I think the argument begins and ends with it being in DTG's country and being the evolution of the first passenger service in the world. One of a few must-have additions I think.

• Like Like x 2