Rapid Transit - Trying To Learn Pzb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mayerling, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Mayerling

Mayerling Member

So I'm playing TSW2 on the PS4 Pro. I'm looking for some help/guidance on what I'm seeing or not seeing, and how to react. Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.

I'm trying to learn PZB on the Rapid Transit route because it's probably the simplest German route in the game. I'm - wait for it - having some trouble understanding what the system is telling me, and why it's different from all the guides and youtube videos I've watched.

I'm doing a service in the Talent 2 that runs south from Dessau through Leipzig and so on.

1) When I depart from Dessau, I keep it to 40kph until the 1000Hz light extinguishes on its own. I'm not trying to fenagle an early PZB release or anything. So it clears and I have a clear green so I start to accelerate up to the line speed of 120kph. Then I get up to 105kph and the PZB automatically reduces me back down to 100kph. None of the signals have said this. How am I supposed to know? Is there something I'm missing?

2) Then I notice that the PZB reduction indicator is 55; not 85, where it's listed pretty much everywhere else in guides and videos. Ok. So I reach my first line speed reduction post, and acknowledge it correctly. It tells me the line speed is reducing to 70kph. I get down to 70kph, and then the train goes into PZB emergency. I'm thinking I should have gone down to 55kph, maybe waited for the 1000Hz light to extinguish, and then accelerated back up to 70kph from there. Is that the correct action?

3) I just don't understand the PZB-restricted line speed of 100kph. The line speed is 120kph, and then goes up to 160kph for some stretches. Why is the speed restricted to 100kph, and how am I supposed to know this restriction exists? Going only 100kph, it's impossible to keep to the schedule. I was 4 minutes late by the time I reached Bitterfeld. What am I missing or misunderstanding?

Thanks for reading. This is a long post, and I appreciated the effort in reading and helping if you do. I just want to learn. I want to understand.

Thanks.

2. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

The PZB mode should be 85 instead of 55 on a passenger train. It is a known error since the Rush Hour Update. They said they're working on a fix but nothing is updated at the moment.
    If you want to learn about PZB, my suggestion is to try it with another German route until they fix the problem in Rapid Transit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Mayerling

Mayerling Member

That Rush Hour update is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks DTG. Thanks for that. *headdesk*

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Apparently Rapid Transit has a bug with a PZB configuration. That said and to answer your actual question, each PZB mode has a maximum permitted speed that is often lower than the speed limit on the line.

The three PZB modes are usually detailed in the manuals for the German routes. For example, see page 19 in the PDF linked below:
    https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic....hein-Ruhr_Driver's_Manual_EN.pdf?t=1585838141

5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hey Mayerling,
    I have two pieces of advice for you if you‘d accept it.
    1. Check out all 4 parts on this website. It might be a bit of handful if you‘re starting with (almost) no prior knowledge, but it pretty much tells you all you need to know for driving under PZB supervision. It also tells you all about GPA-magnets which no TSW manual ever bothered mentioning. The more abstract aspects (like where 1000Hz magnets are placed and when they‘re active) will help you immensely in gaining an understanding of how PZB operates and why you need to act in a certain way in a situation. It becomes intuitive after a while.
    2. If you‘ve got other German routes, try learning PZB on them. Not only the RT Talent is broken (as you now know), but a lot of the signaling and PZB on RT is broken as well. I‘ve always thought RSN is particularly suited to beginners because of the low speeds and frequent speed changes.
    Other than that, trial and error is your friend. With PZB, there‘s almost no risk of a SPAD and the newer trains with MFD even tell you what you did wrong afterwards:
    WT nicht rechtzeitig bedient - means you didn‘t acknowledge something
    Geschwindigkeitsüberschreitung - means you didn‘t brake hard enough

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Here is a video that Matt did last year about PZB and the other B's that might help you, if you have not already seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mayerling

Mayerling Member

Reading your webpage was one of the sources I read up on in order to start learning on the simulator.

Which route is RSN? Edit: Rhein-Sieg Nord?

8. Mayerling

Mayerling Member

Yep. Watched this, too. Thanks!

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Ruhr-Sieg Nord. That's just a recommendation though if you've already got it or are willing to get it. In general, any German route is better for learning PZB than RT because of the mentioned issues. Unfortunately, RT is showing its age quite severely.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mayerling

Mayerling Member

Ruhr-Sieg Nord. Duh. Thank you, sir! I don't have that one, and Dresden isn't stable enough for me to want to try to learn on it. Koln it is for me, it seems.

• Like Like x 1