West Cornwall [1st Stream] Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Since IoW, I have been very critical of Rivet Games and haven’t bought anything since. I am very tempted by this new route, but sadly can’t buy it yet due to the PS5 DLC restrictions and wanting to keep all my remaining routes live.

In the most part, the scenery looked very nice. There were some distant scenery issues, including St Michael’s Mount, which looked rather dull and boring. And, a lot of the houses looked like shoe boxes with barely any texture on them.

The 150 and 37 both looked superb. The attention to detail is very impressive and the new livery on the 37 looks way better than the livery used on TVL (my personal preference).

The 37 sounded great as it does on TVL. Unfortunately the 150 sounds weren’t very impressive for me. There was virtually no revving on moving away and given the train is a diesel MU, it was practically silent and there was no clickety clack rail sounds. My least favourite AP sounds to date. I’m not sure Rivet has implemented them properly - though I’m no audio expert.

The real sounds are so much better…

I’m also concerned about the timetable. Matt was already running late before the passenger loading gauge had filled and the arrival times were challenging to meet and oddly timed. This was a big issue for me on IoW and it was a big issue on Arosa Line for people who bought that route (I didn’t), so I really think Rivet needs to look at this again.

Finally, why oh why is the mistake from IoW with the Ice Cream collectables here again? We are taking ice creams, not adding them.

Will I buy the route? That depends whether Rivet does anything with the 150 sounds and timetable and whether DTG can resolve the PS5 DLC issue.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Hey Mat_Jam_Ca I was waiting for this thread and saw you name on the steam crop up a few times, underscores and all ;)

I pretty much agree with all of your post and before the stream I was a solid NO. Prior to the trophy mess I was a firm YES. Now… we’ll I’m sitting on the fence as the scenery was stunning and I am a huge fan of the 37.

agree the ice cream added and visually disappears always bugged me too.

apart from some bugs on the build that was run (passengers sinking as they board)…….. I was very impressed by the stream and the hosts too. Excellent job DTG JD Jasper_Rivet and our driver for the evening TrainSim-Matt Have a great weekend all.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I’m definitely picking this route up. Well I hope the issues gets resolve soon, especially the ps5 since I don’t have it yet. The route and the Class 150 does look great but with a few issues with the scenery in some place. I think the scenery isn’t that bad unlike Arosaline, which is why I didn’t bother to get it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’ve been pretty critical of Rivet as well. Arosa was really disappointing and being the closest route to where I live that was annoying. However with the news on stream that the Arosa timetable fix is in testing. I’ll give Rivet another chance.

So from Arosa being my closest route to home, Rivet do the closest route to where I was born. So I’m familiar with the area.

Expectations were extremely low , but I’m very pleasantly surprised. All of the places are recognisable, much better than the original preview photos. The 150 was modelled really well. The only downside is the characteristic rev up before moving away was missing. I can live with that, but it’s a shame it’s missing. The 37 is the DTG one with some cosmetic changes. Fair enough, it’s a nice loco. Scenery in general looked fine to me, a bit of pop in of trees, Water looked particularly nice.

So. I’ll wait and see what the reaction is next Thursday, but this has gone from a definite no, to a quite interesting for me. Looks like a relaxing route so I’ll probably look at the PS5 version so I can play chilling on the sofa. If it has Raildriver then maybe I’ll get it on PC instead.

• Like Like x 4
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Big step up from Rivet in terms of route building here, great to see.

37 looks great in the new livery.

150 looks great, sounds meh, the raw sound is nice and sounds real, but the way they’ve been implemented isn’t so great, as many others have said, we’re missing that very distinctive revving when you apply power, also seems a little quiet and drowned out by the over done running sounds, also no joint sounds?

Slightly disappointed, especially after the 187 (although it’s nowhere near as bad as that), it’s just a shame as these 2 units were 2 of my most wanted units for TSW.

Overall, great increase in quality from Rivet here, hopefully the 150 can get some sound tweaks.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  6. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Rivet Games' track record, the last chronological route that I bought was Tees-Valley, so I am quite a ways behind everyone else.

I certainly think it's a nice looking route, and it has my attention. But beyond that, I will wait until Thursday to see some release gameplay. Then I will decide when, and not if, I will buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Just watched the stream. Honestly, another route to skip. Ok the scenary and the land was good and not bad but..... the route feels dead. Just like cane creek. I don't know if it's the same in real life but nothing interesting from me. I'm not so critic but release a route like this one after the 3 "rush hour" it's like a cold shower. I don't ask the same ammout of services but another A to B without a single train to see or things that can happen (like a yellow signal). Also there is a thing that i really do not understand. At the beginnig the route was just with the class 150, than they added the class 37. Ok showed today in stream and just 6 service??? Make 2 new type of freight wagons for just 6 service? Boh. I have no words. Just like the 2 with the class 66 on BML but with all of that trains it is a secondary features. Also there are no layers in this route or in other route. Also there is the ps5-trophy problem for me. Also i have all uk routes until now without IoW and probably this one too. Maybe in a remote future at the lowest price.

• Like Like x 5
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Timetables are such a huge thing, and I don't get why Rivet continuously mess them up. They should be possible to achieve without having to drive like a madman. The real timetables have some slack and to allow drivers to drive safely.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lunar_Twisted

I’m extremely glad that Rivet Games took the feedback seriously with the scenery on the St Ives Bay Line and made changes.

• Like Like x 5
  10. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

I was really impressed with the Class 37, for what little was shown it looked really nice and sounded good, hoping for a more in depth analysis of the Class 37 in the next stream. Really disappointing that the Class 37 won't sub onto Tees Valley Line, though, as that would've been a natural subbing environment for it, as it was the main locomotive for that route.

I don't know much about the Class 150, but from what was shown in stream it looked good. However, I feel the sounds were a bit underwhelming and almost no joint sounds at all.

For now, I'll be giving this one a pass, as it seems the same timetable issues are present that were present in Arosa Line's timetable. And that tells me that Rivet really hasn't learned anything from their previous mistakes..

• Like Like x 3
  11. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the sounds, the sounds just don’t sound good enough. RIvet have not properly implemented iconic the ‘sprinter’ rev.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I'm gonna pass because I'm not into retro stuff. The route looks great but I don't get the concept of these small trips to different time era's. If there were already many 90's routes I might have picked it up. But now it's just a wormhole to the past where you can only travel to an uneventful place somewhere in the UK to drive a cute train. Even in real life with a real time machine this would get dull quick. But I see the appeal for retro lovers because it looks nice. Passengers do look a bit 60's though

• Like Like x 4
  13. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Not watched the stream yet but do we know how long the route is, I am interested in this one as I love any of the retro UK routes so will probably be a day one purchase for me, just hope that won’t be a mistake in view of all the issues lately :)

14. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The route is 44 miles and that includes the short branch line to St. Ives.

I too noticed the sound issues with the sprinter and the weird timetable schedule. Another thing that seemed bad was that there's almost no time at all to set the unit up when starting a service.
    The route itself looks ok but some scenery aspects didn't look right and St. Michaels mount just looked like a blob in the distance with some buildings plonked on top.

• Like Like x 1
  15. niko558

niko558 Member

I think they said about 44 and 47 miles on the stream. Not sure which part they were referring to.

16. photonmonkey

Thanks for the responses, so a reasonable length then. I will give the stream a watch.

17. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

If you've listened to AP's original pack you'd know they actually have. Rivet's sound engineers just haven't properly implemented it. Skip forward to around a minute in to hear for yourself.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I was a doubter but this has piqued my interest.

I was surprised not to hear somebody ask how the timetable compares with real life and it’s a shame that other services aren’t in there even just as AI. I even thought that this would be an ideal route for a rail tour; Atlantic Coast Express anybody??

will I buy it? Probably. When will I buy it? When I hear that it’s secretly not full of bugs and I can add it to my PS5 without having to delete something first.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Night and day different. I hope Rivet adjusts the sound - it’ll make a huge difference. I cannot overstate the importance of accurate sound for me. It really makes or breaks the experience.

Jasper_Rivet - Please please please get across to the dev team how important it is for the sounds to be adjusted. You have an excellent looking train and a good looking route on your hands. Don’t let it be spoilt with mediocre sound.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Jasper was asked about the timetable. He said it was based on the real timetable with some adjustments. It’s definitely too tight to be on time with virtually no set up time, so this also has to be carefully looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  21. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, have edited my earlier post

• Like Like x 1
  22. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I have Isle of Wight and Arosa from Rivet.

IOW looked pretty nice and the rolling stock looked great. My criticisms here were the mediocre sound and lateness of bug fixes. Even now, AI trains run with no headlights. Only a very minor niggle left over in my experience, but it would be nice for this fix to be implemented after such a long time.

Arosa had great looking rolling stock, really great. Distant scenery wasn't great but up close was relatively detailed. A bit more weathering wouldn't go a miss, but the route was fine for me. Sounds were pretty poor in my opinion, no rolling sounds on the loco, odd sounding carriages and no sounds at all from the luggage carriage. The timetable is still broken, months after release.

From the preview stream, this route looks like it might follow in IOWs footsteps for me; a good looking route, great looking rolling stock, but mediocre sounds.

I'll hold back on a day one purchase and see how the feedback goes in relation to bugs once it's out. I would quite like it, but won't be spending unless the route is in a better place than Arosa still is right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Not a lot of set up time. Tight timetable times and didn't seem a lot of traffic in either direction. But overall not as bad as I thought it would be as it was Rivet Games. But not a must have route for me, more of a maybe at sometime

• Like Like x 2
  24. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i was looking forwards to getting this route but now im 50/50 in getting it. i thought it was boring as there was no ation on the route i.e. no HST even if was used as an AI. i though they got the scenery wrong around ST Ives and St Michael's mount looked wrong and the big cathedral in Truro looked wrong.
    As for the 150 the sounds was not right
    i may end up buying this when Sony or DTG get the PS 5 issues sorted first of all

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Well the route grabbed my attention as a possible purchase at some point but will wait for the mentioned Arosa fixes and user feedback for this route before laying down the dough

Sorry just now at a point where words from River & DTG are meaningless and the proof will be in the pudding

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Really? This bothers you that much? I’ve heard everything now.

27. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I always thought the ice cream thing was deliberate. They're just gonna melt if you leave them there so you may as well take a couple for yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  28. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s a lack of attention to detail. And certainly not a mistake that should have been repeated.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I'll start with the positives

The coastal sections were the part I was most afraid about but I've gotta say I was quite impressed with the scenery of the beach and the ocean waves. Its not perfect but its a damn sight better than what we've had previously.

The 150 model looks great, especially the cab which Rivet have a pretty good track record in that department.

I was also pleased to see the 37 has had a facelift to add a bit more variety and I look forward to using it in the livery editor.

Now onto the negatives.

Other than the sea, the scenery still leaves much to be desired, distant scenery looks drab and low res with low draw distances, track ballast has the same ugly texture repeated over and over again and parts of the route look like a golf course from Wii Sports.

Audio is a mixed bag, the Class 150 sounds mostly good with the AP sounds, but as others have pointed out the acceleration sounds don't sound very accurate. I also think it's a missed opportunity not to have AP sounds for the Class 37.

Overall I think my excitement levels for this route are a 6/10, I want this route to suprise me and end up being higher but at this moment in time i'm on the fence.

• Like Like x 2
  30. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I've gotta be honest, I'm really excited for Cornish Local. I've heard some people complaining about lack of rolling stock (which was explained in the livestream) but seeing the 150/2 in Reggie Rail livery really brought back childhood memories of family holidays in Devon and Cornwall in the late 80s/early 90s. Its an area I still love visiting on holiday. But also more than that, This route is ripe for many scenarios that can be created, Scenes from the 1960s with WSR stock, Scenes from the 1970s/1980s with NTP, TVR, Diesel Legends DLC's, Current era with the GWR HST and Castle sets as well as the 166, Stick the 150 in green GWR and stuff like this from Dawlish Warren can be recreated. I'll be buying this on day one. The livestream we got wasn't the final product as was explained several times. I'm gonna be spending many hours on this route. FB_IMG_1634455724218.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  31. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I’ve just watched the live stream and it does look interesting. This is my kind of thing tbh retro UK routes and twisty enough to be interesting. I get bored with fast straight routes like GWR for example. Lovely scenery and a nice train to drive in classic livery. I’m currently holding off buying TSW2 dlc’s but this would be the one I’d currently buy out of the UK ones I haven’t got. Cathcart Circle would be next. Looking forward to reading the reviews from those who will be buying it as a day one purchase because if it performs roughly as it should ( On PS4) unlike RH BML and doesn’t break other routes with only the odd insignificant bug then I might? be tempted to take the plunge.

Here’s hoping it’s generally a good release but from what I’ve seen on the stream it’s a well done to Rivet up to now.

32. junior hornet

But it’s not a mistake. Surely we should be taking it and eating it, not putting it back.

• Like Like x 5
  33. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the only issue here is the wording when you complete the task.

34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yes. We are taking it and eating it, but the game says you’ve added an Ice Cream. We haven’t added it. We’ve taken it.

35. junior hornet

I doesn’t really matter, does it? I’ll take it that I’ve added an ice cream to my stomach. Even better, I’ve added Two. Yum. :D

• Like Like x 1
  36. marcsharp2

It's been added to the characters stomach.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I guess. It just winds me up lol.

• Like Like x 1
  38. photonmonkey

I am with you on this, just my kind of route retro UK and interesting. I watched the stream and thought yep this could be good. Just hope it gets a bit of polish before release, but at the moment count me in.

39. ace

ace Member

It l
    It looks very nice and I can’t wait to drive it. Different collectibles are probably due but I do more Mastery challenges then anything. First day purchase and I can’t wait.

40. shhweeet#4292

As a PS4 user who can’t get the layers on RH BML because of technical reasons due to the PS4 getting old routes like this should be more suited to PS4. Ok it only has one passenger train but it also has a freight loco as well to add some variety. Ok it doesn’t have loads of AI trains whizzing about past you but does it really need to? West Cornwall is a quieter route and if the odd train passes you then it’s all the more interesting exciting? isn’t it. The twisty nature of the route and the scenery from what I can see more than makes up for the Rush Hour concept imo. If it has a few more passengers that don’t tax the route too much then I feel for me it’s pretty much spot on so I really do hope it doesn’t have too many issues when it’s released.

Of course we all have different likes and priorities when it comes to a route preference so I’m not expecting everyone to agree with me.

• Like Like x 2
  41. xsaw2121

xsaw2121 Active Member

I wouldn't say it so much technical issues I would just say it's hardware I mean I'm not exactly sure which PS4 you have but I do know that the standard PS4 is nearly 10 years old if you think about how far graphics cards have come in 10 years you would understand why and also you've also got to think of processing power how far that's coming the last 10 years I mean even the PS4 pro is getting on an h now I mean they run on the Jaguar system for god sakes that's system is getting on an age

42. shhweeet#4292

Mine is an original PS4 so it’s getting on in terms of technical / hardware progress. It should be able to handle West Cornwall though where as those on PS4 are reporting performance issues with RH BML which really puts me off buying it. I dunno if PS4 could handle any layers on West Cornwall should they be available but I can’t see why not since it can with other similar routes like TVL,NTP, etc. .

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Lunar_Twisted

Would the Class 101, Class 47, Class 08, along with the HST be appropriate for this route if they were to be added as layers? The more traffic variety this route have, the busier the route will get.

44. marcsharp2

For the setting it would need a brand new HST to be built. The others though could be added.

45. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

You might not believe it, but we had a discussion about this. It's a collectible - you're collecting it (equivalent to ADDING it to your collection). This is why we choose to go with adding.

Thanks for the very good feedback, I'll forward it to our devs!

• Like Like x 4
  46. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The collectibles are "all added", as in you add the maps, the papers, the posters... I think people are right in that it would be better if the person visiting the ice cream stands meant full stand rather than depleted ones
    (And I doubt train drivers are allowed to eat ice cream when driving as well)

47. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Interesting decision. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like Like x 1
  48. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

See it as refilling the ice cream like the newspaper stand. :)

• Like Like x 1
  49. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    we had a few questions on the stream that I said I'd follow up on and here they are:
    • Blank spots in the journey mode: This is a bug, we'll have a look into it.
    • We still have a bug on AI trains that when they're reversing, they don't change lights and the driver position (when leaving the station after reversing, the train is driving with taillights on the front and the driver sitting in the now rear cab). But we're having a look at it and hopefully provide a fix.
    • Class 37 sound: The changes we made are on the art side of the model (mostly exterior) and fixing a few bugs, no changes on the sound.
    • Raildriver support: Yes, both the Class 37 and the 150 have Raildriver support.
    Shout if you have any other questions, happy to answer them. If not, see you on Thursday for the release stream!

• Like Like x 2
  50. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Jasper can we change the head code on the 150 to blank or special/private, basically a non Cornwall code? (I think the current default is penzance)

Thank you