PC West Cornwall Local: Penzance - St. Austell & St Ives - The Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2021.

1. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Could be the real train is louder, but during stream i never thought its too silent.

With the 38 stock its another thing..., the coasting sounds and rattling is almost non existent.
    Rivet made a really nice train and the sounds make it feel like a glider.

Well i pointed this out with a video in an other thread + when i asked sam to power off the 38 stock for coasting during preview stream, it was almost pure silence (sounds were there but in an immersion braking way)

At the bottom of the line, from next thursday Rivet has plenty of time to fix all the issues came up from the community, some of them are from 4 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  2. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

No doubt they will pop into running on the GWE route in and out of Paddington too, since they included the wrong class DMU for the diesel legends of the Great western pack. :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

One things that also concerns me, is that it seemy like there is no track joints along the route, and there is no track unevennes set either? So it's completely silent and smooth, which is pretty immersion breaking.

Or has anyone else seens cab sway on the preview stream?

• Like Like x 1
  4. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

yes I can’t believe any company would release something like this without track joint and wheel flange squeal, but we shall see on Thursday. Reckon they’ll get A LOT of backlash if this is the case.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

And a lot of 1hr 55min refund requests too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Problem is, none of our concerns seem to get noticed. These are crucial to the sound and feel of the DMU and I don't know how to get this passed on to RIVET. I have sent them loads upon loads of research for their consideration.

I've spoken to you on a few occasions Gary on different social media platforms :)

7. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

nay unfortunately

8. paul.pavlinovich

In theory it will, the 1938 had it out of the gate. I'll let you know in a couple of days :). Since steam's refund policy is straight forward there is no risk in giving anything a try and I quite like the look of this one. It does have a few sound issues but by and large its decent.

9. adventuresbytrainwales

adventuresbytrainwales New Member

As mentioned before the guided do this do that on TSW I.E. closing the doors before getting the signal and the fact that closing the doors triggers the signal to turn green, it's like that on the IOW and genuinely is a reason I have only played 2 journeys on it, as mentioned before kills the immersion! What a disapointment!

• Like Like x 2
  10. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

Just been rewatching the preview stream. I couldn’t hear any track joint sounds either, which is a shame. Hopefully these can be added easily on a post release patch

• Like Like x 1
  11. ghawk2005

Oh yes I remember - Hello ! Hehe

‘I have private messaged Rivet, left it in Facebook and if it’s not sorted by release, I think we should all submit ‘tickets’ regarding the sounds if they’re not of decent quality. I know they’re not going to be mixed and processed as well as AP, I have already accepted that, and I am not expecting every bin or trolley to placed along the route perfectly either. But the physics and sounds are the most fundamental parts of a loco / DMU and developers should listen to the experts and the people who know these things like the back of their hands,,,drivers. Guards etc…. Fingers crossed they have listened. If they are not I will definitely be contacting them directly and submitting tickets. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. alexjjones6024

Glad you remember! :D

Yes I will join you on that venture as I share the same mind set and approach to the quality of this release. This is the best DLC (In my eyes) and I really cannot wait to use it! Please let me know if you get any response back from them as to what they will do to resolve it

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  13. paul.pavlinovich

14. ghawk2005

Thanks, yes I have just joined. I am sure they have seen our feedback on Facebook and on here and if they haven’t taken what we have said on board once it’s released then we’ll start moving things forward and being more vocal. But for now I am trusting them to have listened to us and sorted it out. We shall see :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Just watching the British Ace preview. The route does look better from cab view and not 2 cam. My concerns are Penzance with the forest harbour and lack of town, and the general lack of wear n tear, everything looks brand new.

• Like Like x 2
  16. alexjjones6024

preview of the sounds here mate. Want to have a look?

17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive seen a few. Dont know if this is the same build though. Not alot has changed. Loco still a bit quiet. Its not the let down I thought it was on Friday. Looks a lot better from the drivers position. Glad Im on PC though. Maybe we can get some enhancements. Re engine volume and scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ghawk2005

I wish these videos people wouldn’t YAP so much on them. Can barely hear anything with them waffling on about sod all. Just shut up and let us hear the unit

• Like Like x 10
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

20. OldVern

Hopefully means consumer power has won over...

Now pull the 1938 stock and fix the sounds, too.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Clumsy Pacer

I think you're getting a bit overexcited here. It's more likely a bug/glitch has reared its head that makes it horrifically unstable, or completely breaks something.

• Like Like x 5
  22. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Just consider it the idealized Penzance brought to you by VisitEngland.gov

23. mattdsoares

Let's be realistic here. If it was delayed it was due to serious technical issues that were discovered late, and not because some people on the forums were upset about track joint and wheel flange sounds. I don't mean to diminish wanting quality audio...but...let's try and be serious

• Like Like x 2
  24. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I am pleased to see that more time is being given to this route, before it’s released.It is important that they get everything right, from scenery to sounds etc., etc.

I am looking forward to seeing the final released version and have confidence Rivet will deliver a route to be proud of.

• Like Like x 2
  25. OldVern

Yeah, think you're probably right.
    Or maybe they're doing a quick retro HST conversion to put in the main line layer... :)

• Like Like x 2
  26. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Well it’s not even coming tomorrow anymore

27. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I like that they get an advanced copy. It gives me a more in depth view of whats on offer.

28. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, it's unlikely to be anything found by forum members or anything on the wish list. More likely a " Class A " problem that threatened to break the game. I wouldn't expect any changes to the sounds.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

As above I’d envisage a class a potentially. Respect to them making this decision. This route is big for both Rivet and them moving forward. I think if this was sub par following Matts stream it would negate a lot of what he discussed. I recall they said it has big impact if they hold back even a week so it may not be a long delay.

I do hope this release goes well and more of the feedback is slotted in.

• Like Like x 1
  30. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's possible they don't want a BR187 repeat, I doubt the criticism would be that bad, but I guess better safe than sorry? But I doubt it

31. alexjjones6024

Just fix the lot... The sound of the train and it's loudness, the speed of movement and the sound of the wheels and jointed track. Why make a half ar*** attempt to do Class A, when the rest can be sorted and not issue patches or bug fixes after release? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this?!?!?!?! I'd be happy if they postponed it to do the LOT!

• Like Like x 3
  32. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

Believe it or not, there is no such thing as flange squeal. Sure, when a bogie is steering around a tight curve, there's a squealing sound, however this is not due to the contact with the flange.

The 'flange squeal' is actually the wasted sound energy being amplified through the parabolic wheel pan whilst the wheel is steering - steering a lot if the curve is tight.

In fact, the sound a flange makes when comes into contact with the rail is more of a low level grinding sound, and shouldn't really happen frequently otherwise leading to wear on the rail.

It's a very common misunderstanding and I used to incorrectly assume the same.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  33. mattdsoares

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  34. alexjjones6024

Of course, maybe the tight bends are welcomed as this enhances immersion to real life etc. Maybe switching points and tracks could also help?

My main response was based on loads of things including the acceleration, the loudness of fmthe 150 sounds, including engine sound. Also, certain physics and scenery should be improved. Other members will have more knowledge but a useful asset to have. I hope I'm agreed with in some aspects..

35. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It would certainly be good if they could get the sound fixed during this delay. An unexpected opportunity that can be taken advantage of for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  36. ghawk2005

Wow that is really interesting, I did not realise that - thank you for the info. I did always wonder why a tiny bit of the wheel could make such a racket! Haha

Whatever is making that sound - it still isn’t there and needs to be. Haha

• Like Like x 2
  37. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’m not so exercised by the sounds as the trees.
    I don’t remember Cornwall being so heavily forested or it’s beaches so empty.

Still buying it.

38. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

From the preview steams, it's seems the idle sound is very odd, and varying in rpm more like a mechanical drive than hydraulic.

Listening to the engine idle sound as the train is braking.. the RPM is dropping as the speed drops. Road speed in a hydraulic gearbox has no impact on engine RPM - the engine speed is only changed by the throttle position and the single gear transition at 45-48mph. When the throttle is off, you're idling your engine at a constant RPM.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  39. alexjjones6024

I am using the Xbox series S version now and I fully agree that the sounds are not idling correctly until you get to around 5mph and then they drop down. The train moves off to quick aswell. HTH

• Like Like x 1
  40. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex, that's very disappointing tbh, so they've not actually figured in the hydraulic transmission at all by the sound of it - the filling of the gearbox before the train will move.

Does it start rolling from notch 1? Please say no! Yeah, I also noticed the acceleration was somewhat optimistic too.

(I think you said you worked for LM? I was on the 150s with RR and CT - fond memories!)

• Like Like x 1
  41. alexjjones6024

That's me yes. :)

Although I never drove them, the amount of working days spent in cab would help me recognise any similarities that would be represented in-game, especially that me and some drivers would have a chin wag about the 150's performance (prior to ticket inspection of course and in the second mans seat). ;) I also remember the ex-Arriva 150229 on hire to London Midland (Network West Midlands/Centro takeover), she was my favourite. Always struggled to change gear on Old Hill bank (the other 150/2's could do it mind!)

Anyway, back to this DLC...

It does move in notch 1, I can verify that. The sound is very poor IMHO, there is no real rev to it, it seems these were recorded in a tin can aswell. The phsyics are optimistic, it seems the movement is inaccurate (far too fast), so I am not sure what Simugraph actually does?
    I can also confirm that I have found the potential glitch which was possibly the reason for halting release and this is that the doors closing before departing on the scenario and then opening back up as you depart.

I know this DMU has potential, I just cannot understand why they won't fiddle with the sounds and physics to make it right. I appreciate I don't have the correct build but this should have ALREADY been ready for release and tested correctly and then, all the research would tell them (RIVET/DTG) that this doesn't sound or move correctly...

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Simugraph is supposed to emulate the components of the drive and supply those physics to the engine. If Rivet set Simugraph up wrong for this engine (and type of engine) then the output would be wrong

43. Clumsy Pacer

Basically, Simugraph is the game's train physics engine.

44. paul.pavlinovich

Why do spoked wheels squeal then?

• Like Like x 1
  45. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

I don't understand why this is stilled listed on the Steam store to come out today?

• Like Like x 1
  46. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Probably because whoever is managing the release date in the store is still asleep? Not that it is of utter importance anyway.

47. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Steam only gives an expected date (that’s what it says on mine - expected to unlock in 1 day). I believe Dovetail themselves have to push the button to make it live, so we can be certain that it’s not arriving today.

Probably just a screen that hasn’t been updated yet. Maybe they are waiting until they have a new date.

I don’t see that it matters too much, there was no pre order, so nobody has paid for it yet.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. alexjjones6024

You won't be happy with the sounds guys, little effort has been made to fix them :(

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Maybe that is one of the reasons they withdrew it. We don’t know. I’m not going to make any opinion until the updated version is previewed.

50. alexjjones6024

Absolutely! I wonder if it is being taken into consideration? I have no issue if it is for this reason and also the physics of movement when power notches are applied.. It is too fast currently.