First Generation British Diesel Multiple Units

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elarthur, Oct 20, 2021.

1. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

With around 30 different classes of DMU from the first generation that operated in the UK, there is a wealth of types that we are still to see in game. These DMUs came in a variety of different layouts from Low Density to Suburban to Intercity/Long Distance. The general design of many classes were almost identical except for a few features such as buffet cars and corridor coaches. There were a small number of the types that featured hydraulic transmission as opposed to the more common mechanical transmission. Engines were from manufacturers such as BUT, Leyland and Rolls Royce in the most part. I think it would be fantastic to see more of the classes in game, particularly the examples that no longer exist. To achieve this, I recommend the website https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...AQFnoECCoQAg&usg=AOvVaw0HYkjTzsG907gf5uf-IiaG
    There is a treasure trove of data within that could potentially make some of the extinct classes a plausible reality. As far as routes are concerned, they would work well in many as these types were once seen the length and breadth of the network. Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I do hope that this is something DTG will dedicate time towards going forwards, with West Cornwall we will have four routes that could benefit from additional first-generation (and second-generation) DMUs. For me personally, this is the biggest area where diversity can be improved on existing British routes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

i already suggested the Class 124/128 for NTP That would be a great place to start with first gens

• Like Like x 5
  4. elarthur

Couldn't agree more.

• Like Like x 3
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

One of these is class 127 DMU and you can get a red message service failure your your train caught on fire. The reason for this is that you forgot to operate the gear selector switch when you are coupled to Class 101 DMU

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I reckon the most likely candidates for the second first-gen DMU would be a 108, 117 or a Bubble Car considering how these are some of the most commonly preserved. We could probably get a lot of use out of them too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

A Class 104 or 110 would also be nice, especially with Metro Train branding and noticeably different appearance than the class 101

• Like Like x 2
  8. elarthur

Currently there are possibilities for...
    Class 117, 121, 123 and 128 on GWE Diesel Legends
    Class 123, 124 and 128 on NTP
    Class 115 on WSR

There may be others that I missed but all great opportunities for more expansion to our collections.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I 100% agree.

For starters the 108 would probably be the best choice. There are still plenty in service on heritage railways for reference purposes and towards the latter end of DMU days were the most common type left in traffic.
    After that maybe the Cravens Class 105's which again could be seen anywhere from the (now closed) GNSR routes north of Aberdeen, to East Anglia or the branch lines off the WCML (At Albans Abbey, Bletchley to Bedford etc.).
    My own favourite would be the Class 120 Swindon Cross Country but as none were preserved research could be difficult. However they were fairly widespread in the 1970s particularly operating many long distance interurban services.
    116/117/118 also needed.

Also don't forget the Southern. A Class 205 Thumper has got to come as could a Hastings DEMU - the latter along with Charing Cross via Tonbridge to Hastings in diesel days would be a good DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

They would also be a lot easier to model considering that they have already made Mk1 coaches and the Class 101 so they could model off of those

• Like Like x 1
  11. elarthur

I left the SR Thumpers to be covered in a later thread.

12. Blu

Blu Active Member

100% With the routes we currently have class 108 is a major one! Also 104,110,123,124,128s that have been mentioned for the NTP route. Also there sounds and physics maybe similar as they all used BUT, AEC or Rolls Royce engines, with the epicyclic gearbox like the 101.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The strange thing about the heritage DMUs is that units fitted with the same engine type can sound quite different. For example the MetCams, Cravens and Swindon Cross Country all had AEC engines but all sounded a bit different.

• Like Like x 1
  14. elarthur

A surprise to me. Would've thought that they sounded near identical.