The Passenger Information Screen Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alex_m30x#7297, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

PIS Reference Thread

This thread is intended to allow DTG to build up a database of PIS systems from railways which may be likely to come to TSW in the future. It is intended to be a solid reference to the functionality of the various displays and what information they show and in what format, alongside the actual design of the display boards. It is not a thread for random pictures of PIS boards as these will be of little use.

To avoid spam, please only add material following the guide below.

Take a video of a typical PIS board from a station, which clearly shows the full functionality of the sign in action. This may result in the need to make a long video to fully show how the sign progresses through various bits of information as trains come and go. This is the only reason this thread exists. If you video does not clearly show this please do not post it. Upload your video to Youtube and post a link to the video in your post. Videos may be accompanied by photographs showing the design of the sign in greater detail, or close ups of the design can be shown in the video too. Please include full details of the station the video was taken at and what platform/line if necessary. Include as much information as is necessary for someone unfamiliar with the station to know where it is.

Please Note - Just posting photos will not serve the purpose of this thread as these do not show the PIS boards working. Posting videos from youtube that just happen to show a PIS display will not be of much use unless they show the full functionality of the sign and are accompanied by the relevant information.

What to get
    • Videos should (ideally) include:
      • General Text
      • Train Approaching (Stopping)
      • Train Approaching (Passing) If appropriate.
      • The generic cycle of the PIS
      • Other stuff
    • Pictures should accompany these videos to give a sense of the model, I'd personally go for a couple of static photos from different angles.
    Thank You

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Haha, I was faster :p
    I caused my own threads demise *cries internally*

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. KCRCRailway

KCRCRailway Active Member

As they didn't say which thread to use, I will just dump mine here.
    China HKSAR KCR period East Rail Platform PIS board

China HKSAR MTR period East Rail Line Platform PIS screen

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KCRCRailway

China ShenZhen Metro Line 9 New Onboard PIS

China ShenZhen Metro Line 4 'LuoBao(LuoHu--BaoAn) Line' Old Blink Style Map

China HKSAR KCR period East Rail Early Period Onboard PIS (simulation)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KCRCRailway

China ShenZhen Metro Line 3 Platform PIS Screen (Common Practice with playing TV Shows or Safety Video while showing PIS)
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1t54y147Jh?share_source=copy_web
    China National Rail ShangHai HongQiao Station, SuZhou Station PIS (First 3min and from 08:30)

China National Rail ShangHai South Station Platform PIS (04:00)

(Chinese Railway does not have tradition of wait ON platform, therefore it seldom need use of platform PIS)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KCRCRailway

Somehow missed the Classic
    China HKSAR MTR M-Train Blink Style Map (Slightly updated)

This was in use on all MTR (Underground period) lines, expect Airport Express Service
    For Airport Express, the board was combined with Blink Map and PIS Screen, see 01:00

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mchilliar

mchilliar New Member

Attached Files:

8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Italian PIS is generally composed by two elements, a screen which tells about the trains coming to the station
    [​IMG]
    It can be usually be found near the entrance of the station and on the platforms.
    20210806_180015.jpg
    In my local station I found it was attached using a pretty normal wall mount.

Then each platform has it's own indicator, it comes on just before the train arrives, and stays on after for a few minutes after the train left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's double sided and is attached to the wall using a steel mount 20210806_175927.jpg
    "Frontal" view
    20210806_175942.jpg
    A video of a cycle for the arrival and departure of a regional train

I think it's decently self explanatory, the only strange things for foreigners might be:

"R5622" is the number code for the train, here every train has a number and train type attached (it would be the equivalent of the head code for the UK), "R" is for "Regional Train", other codes are:

RV - Regionale Veloce (Fast Regional - similar to RE in GER)
    IC - InterCity
    ICN - InterCity Notte (IC Night)
    FB - Frecciabianca
    AV - .Italo, Frecciarossa, Frecciargento

In other regions in Italy Trenitalia might not be the operator, so the upper-right screen might display other train operators, or the logo/writing of FR/FB/FA

This is a screen for a .Italo train
    20210806_190455.jpg

This is for a Frecciabianca train
    Screenshot_20210806-191522_YouTube.jpg
    Also notice the DELAY display

Frecciargento train
    [​IMG]

Notice that the two amber lights should flash in case of a moving train near the platform, as you can see at 1:03 of this video

Not sure why mine didn't do that

NOTICE: Due to instability in our railway's management, some train designations are messed up as new services are called differently because of an awaited "restructuring" of the passenger division, for example some FrecciArgento services are being categorised as FAESAV (Frecciargento Eurostar AV)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 9
  9. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

Good work, FD1003, that's really comprehensive. This should be the standard for posts in this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  10. KCRCRailway

Indeed---I should also do some effort to explain those videos.

11. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-8-6_21-33-11.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-6_21-33-35.jpeg
    These were taken at MBTA Newburyport station

• Like Like x 2
  12. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

Platform departure boards at South Station, with separate Amtrak, MBTA, and CapeFlyer screens. 20210807_073903.jpg 20210807_073942.jpg 20210807_105918.jpg 20210807_105951.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  13. acela2163

Also, Amtrak departure boards, these are used all along the Northeast Corridor, including MBTA stations served by Amtrak. The first is at Penn station, second is New Carrollton
    20210807_020253.jpg 20210806_143326.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. KCRCRailway

Hong Kong Railway System's KCR and MTR style PIDS Explaination
    (If Picture Died, use the link at bottom of this post, you should able to find them with help of google page translation)

[​IMG]
    (KCR style LED PIDS on East Rail, writing [1: Non-Stop train, 3: (to) Tai Po Market 6min])
    PIDS in Hong Kong will show Chinese first, then English
    This PIDS can only show 2 lines of words. The 1st line are always occupied by the 1st train depart from this platform, the 2nd line can be:
    A: The NEXT train's information
    B: The 3rd train's information, if having different termination with 2nd train, the PIDS will display A and B after each other
    C: IF the board was at termination, it will show the NEXT train's platform (Either Next Train-This Platform or Next Train-Platform X for (destination))
    [​IMG]
    (KCR style LCD PIDS at Sheng Shui Platform 1, East Rail, writing [Not In Service Train--Passenger do not cross yellow line])
    Originally, East Rail are a A to B route without branch. A new station was in use 4 months before KCR was merged by MTR. In order to show the destination, these LCD was placed at Sheung Shui station platform 1, the last station before branch.
    This LCD only show the 1st/2nd train's destination. It (in my memory) also capable to show, as picture, the corrisponding colour for the destination (green/blue, as the left/right side of board).
    [​IMG]
    (KCR style LED PIDS at Hung Hom station, termination of East Rail and West Rail, writing [Tsim Sha Tsui East to Tuen Mun, this platform, 7 cars)
    The picture was around 2016-18 when West Rail was expending from 7 to 8 cars. it should normally show 4 trains departing from the STATION (with platform number). Blue for East Rail and Orange for West Rail. It will also not show the car's number (as it was normally fixed) but the time of departure.

[​IMG]
    (KCR style LED PIDS at Yuen Long, West Rail, no translation needed)
    Basically a variet of East Rail LED PISD with a bigger frame and in orange. It also represent the arriving train in green.
    Notice in the picture, a clock was beside it. This PIDS does not show the time, so a clock was provided.
    Source: https://hkrail.fandom.com/wiki/乘客資訊顯示屏#2014.E5.B9.B4.E5.89.8D.E9.87.8D.E9.90.B5.E8.88.8A.E6.AC.BEPIDS

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. KCRCRailway

As above, use that link if picture died)

[​IMG]
    (MTR old style LED PIDS, used on [Urban Line] systems (Kwun Tong, Tsuen Wan, Island lines, the first 3 routes and the basic form of MTR, upper part showing [MTR Travel Ticket] advertisement, lower part showing [Tsuen Wan])
    These PIDS are DESIGNED to use upper part for advertisement, similar to the PIS onboard MTR trains.
    These routes does not have multiple train destination, 1 line is enough consider MTR's rapid service frequency.
    From the picture below, it seems a clock was provided beside, KCR might also adapted this idea when building West Rail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (MTR Tung Chong Line/Airport Express LED PIDS, write [Train to Tsing Yi, Kowloon and Hong Kong will arrive after 5min])
    Due to the nature of these routes (Long Distance Commuter, compare with Rapid Transit of most MTR line), these PIDS only show the NEXT train, as video below shows.
    Notice some newer station on Tung Chong Line does not use this varient. Sunny Bay station used MTR Old Style, Nam Cheong station used KCR LED, both show with Tung Chong LED style.

[​IMG]
    (MTR 'Railway Vision' PIDS at Island Line)
    This new board repalced all the PIDS above, expect Disneyland Resort Line.
    This board will show next 4 train incoming/next train coming with safety message as picture shows.

BACK TO KCR LED PIDS

As north termination(s) are both checkpoints, they will close earlier than rest of the line.
    This video shows the 2nd line showing message for the last train to Lok Ma Chou Checkpoint already left.
    This should also indicate similar message for Lo Wu Checkpoint.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. KCRCRailway

China Railway's PIDS
    Give it up, we don't have a universal design, if DTG somehow wanted to do one, they got to send someone visit the stations as EACH station's EACH board could have a different design.
    [​IMG]
    (A board in ChengDu station)

Despite that, the rules are generally the same.
    1: Train Number Code (Example: K829 (Kuai (Fast, train grades) 829 (code))
    2: Final Destination (Example: 广州(GuangZhou)
    3: Departure Time (Example: 12:42)
    4: Status (Example: Wait at Waiting Room)
    China Railway only start ticket checking some 15mins before train departure (in my memory). Therefore it seldom see passenger waiting on platform. It might (or not) have some PIDS on platform but it was less important than these board in waiting room.
    If train delayed, it will always in red, other than that each board could have some difference. Bigger station might show English after Chinese.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (This one is the one at ticket counter, therefore it shows how many seat left, https://www.seat61.com/China.htm)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Tmonstah

Tmonstah New Member

Here is the signage for Mansfield, MA. I had made a quick little video to assist Dovetail in making the signs. I also included some additional information in the disc of the video.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

This video showcases what the PIS at Burlingame looks like for Peninsula Corridor.

As you can see it looks significantly different from the current one used in LIRR, so hopefully this reference material helps.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. ctsl railfan

ctsl railfan Active Member

Boston Sprinter DLC New PIS Board Information List (The Yellow lettering version, not the Red lettering version.)

No trains coming/Time and date:
    Wednesday, February 17
    2:01 PM

TAMS (Train Approach Message System):
    Train approaching
    please remain behind
    the yellow line.

One train message:
    N. E. Regional No. 164
    To Boston
    Status - On Time/Last Call/Boarding/Departed/Now

Multiple train message:
    NER 164 On Time/LastCall/Boarding/Departed/Now
    MBTA 1809 On Time/LastCall/Boarding/Departed/Now

On Time, Last Call, Boarding, Departed, and Now information:
    When the train isn’t close, it shows On Time.
    When the train is close, it shows Last Call.
    When the train is boarding, it shows Boarding.
    When the train departed, it shows Departed.
    When the train is late, it shows Now and then the expected arrival time.

PIS Board Voice (Samantha):
    The voice used for the NEW PIS Board's is called Samantha, and it can easily be found and used with text to speech online. Boarding call plays when the train is not close. Last call plays when the train is close. (ONLY FOR ROUTE 128)

TAMS (Train Approach Message System):
    Train approaching! Please remain behind the yellow line.

Boarding Call:
    Attention please! This is the boarding call for Amtrak Northeast Regional train 164, scheduled to depart at 5:04 PM. This train is en route to Boston, with intermediate stops at Boston Back Bay. Passengers should proceed to track 2. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

Last Call:
    Attention please! This is the last call for Amtrak Northeast Regional train 164, en route to Boston, with intermediate stops. Passengers should proceed to track 2. Please remove any travel documents from their envelope and have them ready for scanning by the conductor. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

Now:
    Attention please! This is an update to Amtrak Northeast Regional train number 164 scheduled to depart at 5:04PM. This train is now expected to arrive at 5:11PM. We apologize for any inconvenience!

A file including all voice sounds is included below. (Numbers, Announcements, Stations, Words, etc.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

So I'm heading to Boston this weekend. But that's not gonna be my focus. Living in a far part of Queens NY, I'll be taking the LIRR to Manhattan. The LIRR afaik, had three different PIS screens. Most stops has the one thats similar to thw one in the sim. But Jamaica and Penn Station have their own. I plan to get pics and vids of them, especially since I have to change at Jamaica. Is there anyone else planning to grab shots of LIRR's PIS in the next week? If not, I might as well since I'll be riding it

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. stuckirish

stuckirish New Member

Hopefully some helpful info for Caltrain's PIS:

In the video below around the 6:28 mark, you can see the PIS goes from the date and time on one slide to showing the next 2 upcoming trains.

Detailed photos of next train slide:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/39522357581/sizes/k/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/16216020056/sizes/k/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_e_abbott/24024032093/sizes/k/

Detailed photo of time and date slide:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137397895@N03/28565752033/sizes/k/

The biggest differences between the PIS made for LIRR, they do not display the "stopping at/formed of" and the time is not displayed on the bottom. Typically US PIS does not display trains that 'terminate' at a station.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Alex_m30x#7297 This thread needs some instructions and clarification as to what is helpful and what is spam. I have written the following text, that could be copied and pasted into the your first post to give an idea of what is required… EDIT - Text removed as it is now in the opening post.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think a set of guidelines are really quite good, however I'm going to chip in with a kind of clear "what to get" list, Alex_m30x#7297 feel free to copy this.

What to get
    • Videos should (ideally) include:
      • General Text
      • Train Approaching (Stopping)
      • Train Approaching (Passing) If appropriate.
      • The generic cycle of the PIS
      • Other stuff
    • Pictures should accompany these videos to give a sense of the model, I'd personally go for a couple of static photos from different angles.
    (Apologies if you included this and I missed it, but if it is it isn't very clear imo, so I've tried to help clear it up for folk)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  24. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i shot all of these with my iphone 11 pro max camera hopefully the quality is good. This is for when i went to LIRR Atlantic Ave Terminal in Brooklyn.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

here are more

Attached Files:

26. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

27. acela2163

Here's a video I recorded of a departure board for an LIRR train leaving from track 18 and NY Penn Station. The LED sign scrolls through it's full text, in this case listing the stops + the "If you see something, say something" message.

• Like Like x 2
  28. ixofxiii

So its awesome that I didn't have to stop over at penn station! Lol
    So here's the vid for the LIRR PIS at Jamaica and my home station-Far Rockaway. Here's a few notes:
    The vid starts off at jamaica track 6. This is whats shown before train arrival. Colors shown represent it's line. Connections are down in it's own color under it's station (shown is connection to West Hempstead -in aqua blue or whatever color, lol- at Valley Stream. Each connection would be listed. On the westbound side, the line color is white (where the brown and/or orange is) and the lettering inside the white is red for Penn station and green for Atlantic terminal (IIRC) and black for "No Passengers".
    0:25: shows MTA logo when no scheduled trains on tracks 4 and 5.
    1:17 shows number of cars and on-board passenger capacity plus location of you relative to arriving train in station once in said station
    1:47 shows boarding status
    2:30 shows next arrival as current train leaves. Note Hillside stop listed as employee stop
    2:55. This "big board" is on every platform at around the half-way mark. This is what's shown on the two platforms for tracks 6, 7 and 8. The ones for tracks 1, 2 and 3 has westbound. So it's basically all white. You should be able to peep it when I bring the video over to track 4. Now the big board for the platform at tracks 4 and 5 has both directions split down the middle. Eastbound left side, west bound right side.
    From 3:15, on, its the signs at Far Rockaway. This is the typical sign at the majority of stations. I frequent East NY. It's the same sign and display setting.

• Like Like x 3
  29. ixofxiii

20210816_221559.jpg 20210816_221556.jpg 20210816_221414.jpg 20210816_212912_HDR.jpg 20210816_211634.jpg Here's some pics as well :
    20210816_221559.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  30. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

The video is so shaky and the quality is so bluring, what did you use to record this?

31. ixofxiii

My phone. The thing is, it takes great pics and vids. But after traveling from Boston, my hands Shook, the lens wasn't wiped, but I was.
    May be on the LI again Saturday if I go to Jersey. Will take better ones if I do.

32. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I was at Battersea Park yesterday (the first station south of London Victoria on the upcoming BML) and noticed that the PIS screens have a yellow border around them. I'm not sure how many other stations on the line are like this, but thought I best let DTG know (assuming they're still reading this thread). I didn't take a video as apart from that they're the same as what's already in the game.

Under.jpg

Attached Files:

33. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I believe on East Coastway these boards - or a very similar type - are featured in a few places, so I wouldn't be surprised if they added it.

However considering they didn't add the grey borders on Cathcart It's a case of waiting to see I suppose. :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people have been clocked by security filming these now

• Like Like x 6
  35. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Old British rail PIS like these could be used on routes like NTP and TVL

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. twiggy#9635

twiggy#9635 Well-Known Member

PIS board at Woodbridge on the East Suffolk Line
    1BBF2939-D107-4C44-8B18-B43CE1121698.jpeg D0DC98B4-DF56-458B-B7C4-1BBB805B49AA.jpeg 007EA9DF-3FCC-4114-A8DF-30488B437A57.jpeg F0A77AEF-B1D2-455A-8F38-6677D54E78EF.jpeg

Attached Files:

37. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Jokes on you mine doesn't have a single one. AmtrakStationNorfolk120213_003.jpg

38. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

When I already called the technician to repair this broken screen and 10 minutes after it starts to show the same error as before :( upload_2021-9-6_5-7-52.jpeg

39. man_utduk2002

man_utduk2002 Member

Bit of a blurred pic on cam phone I know. But this pis screen at thornaby station on tees valley line in the attached file

Attached Files:

40. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

41. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Sydney Suburban
    (Not own work)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If only the trains were as clean as the PIS, they really do look fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Went to Newington this afternoon as had a few spare mins and found they've updated the PIS from the Yellow long versions to a new squarer version...

43. tehangrybird345

upload_2021-10-10_19-26-19.jpeg
    MBTA Orange Line PIS

44. tehangrybird345

upload_2021-10-10_19-27-4.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-10_19-27-18.jpeg
    Current Boston South Station PIS

Attached Files:

45. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is supposed to be a simulator. What's realistic about Amtrak being just 7 minutes late? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  46. simon_fielding

simon_fielding Well-Known Member

- PIS Boards At Seamer

47. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

I want that the DSA getting added to the German routes. The DSA are used an smaller German stations, mostly regional stations.
    [​IMG]

Here are some videos:

The one above shows the most informations and how they are displayed

In the appendix there is a domument, where the functionality and the structure is explained.[/MEDIA]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  48. superb

superb Member

134.jpg 146.jpg First off I worked for Southwest Trains for 16 years I was a Station announcer for 8 of those 16. CIS Customer Information System was the name of the station displays. PIS is on train passenger Information.

Anyway with that off my chest with the Northern Trans Pennine route and other pre 2000's CRT's Cathode-Ray Tubes or TV screens.
    I have to photo's of the standard BR systems used up to 2002.

When installed around 1981/2 they were mostly in Yellow and always under cover out of the rain, in these pictures the outer casings have been replaced with red and blue plastic due to their age and sectorisation of the 1990's.
    Salisbury 1994 platform 2 blue with an NSE flash.
    The second photo is at Exeter St Davids platform 3 in red, this shows the rubber seal on the side of the outer casing with a sun hood note that the bottom facer plate is missing, compare it to the Salisbury Picture.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  49. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

What about error screens? Error screens add to the realism

50. tehangrybird345

upload_2021-11-6_21-20-6.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-6_21-20-35.jpeg
    Current Boston South Station PIS (Amtrak vs MBTA)