British Rail Diesel Electric Multiple Units All Generations

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elarthur, Oct 21, 2021.

1. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Following my thread topic for yesterday, I also thought I would bring up the topic of Diesel Electric Multiple Units. We currently have 3 UK routes centred around the old Southern Region which would provide a few opportunities to employ DEMUs of classes 201 to 207 which were all SR based/operated units. These units came in a variety of configurations such as long frame, short frame, narrow loading gauge and even the unusual Tadpole sets used on North Downs Reading to Tonbridge services. They were all, I think, equipped with the same or similar English Electric engines.
    Following these units there was a pair of prototype units of Class 210. These units dated back to the early 1980s and were similar in appearance to the Class 317/1 and 455/8 EMUs. They were formed of 4 car + guard accommodation (210 001) and 3 car no guard van (210 002). Furthermore, each unit had a different engine installed, one from MTU and the other a Paxman(I think). Sadly neither unit survived but there are still similar power units in working order today. These units would work well as a layer for GWE as this was there main operating area before disposal.
    There is the Class 230 D Train converted from ex London Underground D Stock and the upcoming Class 231 Flirt units on order for Transport for Wales. You could also include the Class 251 & 261 which made up the Blue Pullman sets with the class numbers for motor cars and kitchen/parlour cars respectively. At the start of their lives, the HSTs were numbered as DEMUs with Classes 253 and 254 makiing up the fleet until given Class 43 for the power cars with the Mk3s getting coaching stock numbers without a Class number. Theoretically the Class 769 (Class 319 conversions) and some of the Class 800 series count as DEMUs but have alternate means of propulsion in the form of OHLE, Third Rail or both.
    Lastly we have the Class 220, 221 and 222 trio of types which may be useful on a future route as well as layering on some we already have. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  2. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

It would be amazing to see a class 210 in the game, sadly I never got to see one but being able to bring them to life virtually would be excellent

the obvious choice would be to bring in the 220 / 221 as these are the most widespread of the DEMU classes although the current route in time periods they are set in wouldn’t get much use out of them either.

3. elarthur

I also did not get to experience the Class 210 first hand as they were withdrawn before I became a rail enthusiast. The design itself was sound and practical but it became obvious to BR that they were way more expensive to build than the Sprinters that followed. Paddington and Chiltern area routes had to therefore make do with their existing first generation dmus for almost a further decade until 1992 and the launch of the Turbos of Class 165/0 (Chiltern), 165/1 (Thames) with the Class 166 launched in 1993. It would be fantastic to see extinct types and routes be created virtually as a kind of look back in time.

4. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

It would be very interesting to see where we would be today if the class 210 was adopted instead of sprinter derivatives, and the Class 370 was put into revenue service!

• Like Like x 1
  5. elarthur

Class 370 APT. Awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Not so fussed about the older stuff, so your post got progressively more interesting as it went on! :)

7. elarthur

My personal interest is mainly centred around the Modernisation Plan era onwards (1955 to now) to include the recent types with only a few steam types on my wishlist. I tried to make the list chronological for ease of reference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

My era was the late 80s to late 90s, lots of different types in all types of liveries although I am interested in the early diesels and electrics and some steam, mainly the eastern region stuff. Sadly today British locos and units reflect European designs and don’t hold as much of an interest. The same loco / unit types in different colours doesn’t hold the same appeal.

9. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

a 1970s hastings line suggestion wouldnt be to bad i might get to work on that, if someone didnt already make it

10. elarthur

Yes please. Cheque book ready.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Ditto on that!

12. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

There is also a Diesel FLIRT in build at the moment for TfW - which strikes me as pointless given a FLIRT is an EMU with a generator car and all they are saving are two transformers and a pantograph so why not spec them for flexibility

• Like Like x 1
  13. elarthur

Based on modern designs like the Electrostar, I would imagine that there would be some elements of adaptability in the design to allow them to be converted if/when necessary.

14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not add in Class 195 these are used on Blackpool to Leeds City services via Calder Valley Line. There's a 1980s era DMU arriving Class 150 Sprinter for Cornwall

15. elarthur

Although I like the idea of Class 195 and am also aware of the Class 150/2 arriving soon, this thread is focused on Diesel Electric Multiple Units aside from their Mechanical and Hydraulic stablemates. I will at some point soon, cover second generation and current generation dmus in another thread.

• Like Like x 1