1.54 Update Ecw Rush Rour

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Chas, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

Using PS4 slim with 1Tb internal HDD. TSW2 installed on external 1Tb SSD. Both drives at around 50% usage.

TSW2 shipped with routes Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen, Bakerloo and Sandpatch. Other routes installed : LIRR, MSB, GWE (+ Diesel Legends), NTP, TVL, ECW and BML.

I live in Surrey, UK and my main interest is British routes. My favourite TSW2 route by far is ECW because (until BML) it was the closest to me and a line I have actually travelled on several times. What made ECW really special on my set-up was the fact that it was the ONLY route that ran smoothly from start to finish without the characteristic occasional stuttering that is present on other lines. It was a pleasure to drive the route

On this forum I heard about the latest update (20 Oct) and how it introduced rush hour passengers to ECW. With great trepidation I downloaded the update and re-booted the PS4. I went straight to a rush hour route on ECW to see the difference. I picked the 08:32 Brighton to Eastbourne service using the 377.

Immediately the increase in passengers was evident and to my great surprise and relief it did not seem to affect the framerates or cause any stuttering. My relief was shortlived though. On actually running the service I encountered several slight but noticeable stutters which were NOT there before. Granted they were not as bad as some other routes but they were present and a couple of times they were serious enough to prompt me to post this. The stuttering occured between stations when the extra passengers were not visible and on the whole at stations performance was not affected badly even at stops like Berwick where there was a large number of NPCs displayed.

After the dismal disappointment of BML this was like a punch in the gut for me. I also tried a BML scenario planner route and found that this route had stutters that worsened with 20 Oct update after the post BML update seem to bring some improvements.

It is with a heavy heart that I post this but the loss of the silky smooth fluency on the beloved ECW route is probably enough to make me stop playing TSW2 for a while until either these problems are ironed out or I give up and just delete the entire game.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems since the 20 Oct update? Is this anything to do with the memory shortages discussed in the QA stream this week? Is more memory being allocated to the extra passengers and their snazzy outfits resulting in a drop in overall performance?

I just want to drive trains in an enjoyable and immersive simulation and if that means fewer mindless drones on the platforms, I can live with that. Reducing the performance on what was an almost faultless route is... what was the word Matt used? Unacceptable.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  2. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Was there an update on rush hour passengers out for ECW already? Didn't read it in the patch notes. I thought this RH patch for ECW would come out next week. But ECW already had stutters before 1.54.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I didn't test it because I uninstalled the game, but this makes me really sad. They finally did it: they f**** up the only flawless route they published in the last two years. I love ECW... what a shame.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

It wasn't stated on the release notes. I found out about it by someone posting details on this forum whilst wondering what other changes were slipped into the 20 Oct update without us being notified. Unfortunately I cannot find that forum post again and think it may not actually be in the PS4 section, but it is in here somewhere.

I was absolutely gutted. It is no exaggeration to say there were tears welling up in my eyes. I adore ECW and the beautiful way it ran both timetable services and wacky off the rail scenarios with every (British) train I have got. I will load it up again tonight and see how the route has been affected in a non rush hour period. The problem for me now is TSW2 has gone from relaxing and joyful escapism to something more akin to the atmosphere during a post mortem.

In the past on a PC whenever a game update came out I would backup the entire current game directory before installing the update. If things went pear shaped then it was easy to just delete the contents of the game folder and copy the backup files into it. I don't have this option on a PS4.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The rush hour update to ECW is today. So the performance issues you had had nothing to do with the Rush hour update to ECW

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I think the OP might be referring to the increased passenger numbers. ECW doesn't get the full RH passenger update with the dioramas until later today

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

The update one week ago certainly INCREASED the passenger numbers on ECW. Whether or not it was the full "Rush hour" release I don't know but the extra passengers were clearly evident as was a slight performance hit on ECW. There was an even larger performance hit on the already abysmal stuttering on BML.

When I got TSW 2020, the stuttering problems were serious enough to limit my purchases of DLCs to sale discounted items. NTP was a joke with excessive stuttering and the legendary wonky tunnel rendering that took way too long to fix. TVL suffered similar stutters that just made the overall game seem unpolished and shoddy. GWE at the time was the smoothest running route till ECW came out.

These ongoing problems were already well known and not fixed when TSW2 came out and as a result I was in no rush to get it. When i finally bought it, the new routes were interesting but the dreaded stutter at Bakerloo was as bad as anything on other routes. Updates to TSW2 and move to UE 4.26 improved things to the point I began to really enjoy some routes, especially ECW. The changes made with Rush Hour seems to have reversed improvements and the embarrassing fiasco of BML was the icing on a cake presumably made by mischievous gremlins.

The past week has seen me take a break from TSW2 only to rediscover the absolute masterpieces of other PS4 software I already have. OK, the brown nosing apologists would say it is unfair to compare TSW2 to Gran Turismo Sports, GTA 5, RDR2 or GR Wildlands but they demonstrate what can be achieved on the PS4. Heck even a small gaming company can produce gems despite a rocky start.

Perhaps the development team at DTG should take a 60 mile trip from Chatham to Guildford (50 miles by rail!) and visit Hello games to see how they recovered from the disaster of No Man's Sky to now having an extremely good and polished game.

Perhaps most alarming is that when I look at my PS4 collection, TSW2 represents the biggest cash outlay of ANY title I have and after years of perservering I have concluded that with it's many flaws, problems and botched releases it is just not enjoyable to play and in my view not worth the money spent. I have no shortage of storage space so I will allow it to stay for a few months till hopefully the proplems are fixed but given the track record of DTG I am not holding my breath.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Rush Hour passengers were definitely added to ECW with the previous update. It brought higher passenger volumes and the expanded selection of clothing items. It would be nice to know why it's mentioned in the patch notes for the new update and not in the previous notes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Man, I 100% agree with you. That's exactly what I feel about it, and I thought of No Man's Sky too. Ok, some might say that behind Hello Games there is Sony and blah blah blah, but come on, that's not just a matter of money. No more excuses...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

As it seems the update on 27 Oct is 1.54 I apologise for the thread title. All references to the update in question have now been changed to "20 Oct update" to clarify.

The 27 Oct update (1.54) officially brings the "Rush hour" experience to ECW though the extra passengers were enabled on 20 Oct. either way it does negatively affect performance of the ECW route just like RH worsened Bakerloo. I bought ECW without RH and I was satisfied with it. Why I am I now lumbered with a downgraded product?

• Like Like x 2