Question For Matt

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Observadorpt, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi
    This question is for TrainSim-Matt.

For what i see of Q&A you answer when Sam ask why not stop releasing things and fixing bugs you answer is because investor wants the cash flow and not loosing money etc etc etc.
    My question is: If because investors choice they dont be afraid of loosing players because of that choice, because if the game becomes unplayable because of the bugs the players will give up playing and not buying anymore dlc or maybe future TSW releases? Is a simple question.

I know im criticise the game but i love the game but in this state im not gonna buy anymore dlcs and the lack of new trophies helps my decision, in ps4 version your team put more sets (1 2 and 3) Why not do the same in ps5 version?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

That is one of the reasons, yes, but not everything. DTG is a business, and the people working there want and deserve a salary like everyone else. Nobody was thinking about telling VW to stop selling cars when the Diesel Gate happened, and it is the same here somewhat (although not on the same scale of course :D).
    But the more important reason is that the people making new routes are not necessarily the ones that will be able to fix things. A vehicle or environment artist will not be able to contribute much when it comes to UE crashes for example. So stopping new DLC's would not only impact the income the company gets, but would also make those people sit around playing Tetris, which is helping no one either.
    It is a delicate situation for sure, and I agree that bug fixes should currently be more important than getting new routes out, but it is not as simple as that and I think Matt and Sam gave good explanations and insights on this topic.

• Like Like x 5
  3. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I will no longer buy content without seeing others play it, reading the forum for any issues - so I know it’s not broken, only then will i part with my money. On the subject of VW, I personally will never buy another car from the VW group, they have completely lost my trust. They lied and schemed to game the system, from the very top. I bought a new car last year, my first ever brand new car. It wasn’t a VW group car

It’s a very different matter compared to TSW of course, there is no comparison. But yes DTG should understand that a good many customers have reached the end of their tether and will no longer be treated as a cash cow.

If they want my money they have to release quality product that works. Simple really. I’d rather pay a little more for it if that’s what it takes, quality over quantity and all that. At the end of the day I work hard for my money and I spend it wisely

• Like Like x 3
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They answered this obliquely later in the stream...

When talking about delaying DLC even by a week they spoke of the knock on effect of delaying multiple releases in sequence and Matt said something along the lines of "This would mean releasing two or three less DLC in any given year, that's tens of thousands of sales lost..."
    So even if they lose a few hundred sales from negative reviews in the first instance, many people still buy day one, many people still buy in sales, many people buy bundles...

It may well take a large percentage shift in people literally walking away before it becomes commercially unviable to produce DLC, and it's also likely that teams will be scaled back first rather then production shut down completely to "focus on bugs"

You also have to remember that the people who look at and fix bugs aren't necessarily the same people who make new routes, or specific trains, or sounds etc etc

5. Observadorpt

If you read again you know that i dont ask why, im asking if they don be afraid to loose players because of that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

"So even if they lose a few hundred sales from negative reviews in the first instance, many people still buy day one, many people still buy in sales, many people buy bundles..."

• Like Like x 1
  7. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Then many people are fools and are easily parted from their money

• Like Like x 2
  8. ARuscoe

It depends. Some don't care particularly about certain bugs, or are using systems that don't HAVE those bugs. Some people have more patience than others or are completists so even if they won't use a certain DLC they buy it anyway...

For you they may be fools, but then it's their money to spend how they wish

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It was quite shocking to hear that a missed DLC or two in a year could require the business to start consider staffing levels. That’s clearly a concern, but I would argue losing paying customers, because they’ve had enough of shoddy releases, is a more serious concern. Once you start haemorrhaging loyal customers, and your content ratings plummet, you can’t be in a good place then either. It’s definitely a tight balancing act and one the company has yet to get right. I really hope it does. As much as I moan, TSW is my favourite game and has been since I discovered it early last year.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'll admit to being a " completist " as you put it. I have every available dlc to date and there are a few I rarely touch anymore. I consider it my hobby and it's much less expensive than others I've had.
    However, that record may be ending with the most recent releases, at least until they go on sale. The sound issues reported on the forum may dissuade me from immediate purchases of the 187 and '38 tube stock. And I'm on the fence about the future dlc's, such as HSC and SH which don't promise anything particularly new. I mean the TS Classic version of HSC, for example, will remain superior to the version that's coming next year, if only for the rolling stock included.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  11. ARuscoe

I've got all the UK ones and may get round to IoW at some point, but I won't be getting the 38 stock as haven't ever even loaded Bakerloo... Heavy rail for me please!

12. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

Don't worry, everything is a question of competition and I know that in June 2022 they will have very tough competition, 2 giants will get together to compete with the train simulators. one is Polipholy digital and the other is still secret but it sounds like it's RR. calm down, they will have a lot of tears for the treatment we are receiving today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Observadorpt

What is RR?

14. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

You have to look at TSW2 and it's potential userbase and the potential for new users is still way larger than the concern of losing some customers if they can get the double amount of new customers of the amount of customers they loose. The customers they loose now already own the game and can become new customers once again.

Not saying they should only invest in new customers but you always lose customers even when your game runs perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  15. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

For me, this is sound strategy. Also, I wait for items to go on sale before I consider buying them. Sometimes I do want buy something as soon as it comes out and it feels like torture (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) waiting for months or even years before getting it. But in the end, I am usually happy that I waited for a cheaper, finished product.

• Like Like x 2
  16. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

Was interested as well, but could not find it. For me it´s Rolls Royce :D. So, another one beside Simrail2021 ?

17. ARuscoe

I'm assuming it's "Rail Route", a PC game which is current in early access release on Steam. The game is only a competitor for TSW in that it's a PC game where you can drive trains. The signals, track, trains and just about everything else are not real, but it's a combination of "driving" trains and a train company tycoon game

• Like Like x 1
  18. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

Ah, this is a "Train Dispatcher Simulator". Simrail2021 is from a polish developer. both on steam...

• Like Like x 1
  19. jon_mann

jon_mann Member

Do you mean Polyphony Digital makers of Gran Turismo and owned by Sony. Can't see them releasing a train sim, when they have GT7 coming out next and we would have likely heard about it by now.

Don't think he was talking about a game as he was talking about developers, RR sounds like Rockstar to me but can't see that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jutland

jutland New Member

Grand Theft Loco? :D

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a train in it but it’s just a toy train compared with TSW

• Like Like x 3
  21. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I assumed he meant this so is obviously living in some sort of fantasy world. I'm kind of hoping there really is a "Polipholy digital" though, and (once they've settled the lawsuits with Polyphony) they really do bring out a rival train sim. :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Polipholy are launching Garn Rutismo I believe before World of Train Sims....:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  23. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

Rockstars

24. jon_mann

jon_mann Member

Not going to happen, you really think Rockstar and Polyphony Digital are going to move from what they do to make a niche market train sim.

• Like Like x 2