Curious Behavior On Bml

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jmhdc812, Oct 22, 2021.

1. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Recently I've noticed that, on occasion, the doors on the 377 go into "automatic mode" where they open upon stopping at a station and close at the appropriate time thereafter, all without any driver interaction. This seems to happen at random points on a run and doesn't happen with any real pattern or regularity, but once it starts the behavior continues until the service is complete. Not sure into which category this falls; feature or bug?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Oldcustard

Oldcustard Member

I had this happen once and cannot remember the when, where or what. However it has not happened again since

3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This isn’t a bug, but more of a feature of the train. It happens with the Electrostars and Turbostars.

This happens in real life - the doors will automatically close after X amount of seconds/minutes if there is no motion detected. This is to keep the aircon/HVAC from escaping, which increases efficiency.

The doors will then open when an NPC walks near the door.

The doors aren’t actually locked, they’re just shut.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Impressive modeling to incorporate that feature.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MisterV

MisterV Member

I noticed this yesterday at East Croydon. I pulled into platform 1 and opened the doors, then about a second or two before I went to shut them they began shutting on their own and me pressing the button actually opened them again, curiously I noticed the exact same thing happening to an AI train on another platform at the same time so I'm not sure if it's a feature as LondonMidland suggests or a bug.

6. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

It's afaik a bug and will usually happen if you leave a service and take over another. If you press T and it says "On Foot" instead of the train headcode then it seems the AI is in charge. It's hard to reproduce as it's so random,.but could you try standing up and sitting down again to see if that fixes it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

If you mean in terms of it acts as if it has a guard? I think we determined when I first experienced it on GWE as a bug, since it's happened on the likes of Bakerloo.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/class-166-guard.31166/

I'm not sure what causes it but I think it's something to do with changing cabs when not on a service.

8. MisterV

MisterV Member

That's interesting because it happened to me on one of the services that join at Hawards Heath.

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah it happened to me on that service too. The switching cabs between services is speculation, but on a stream, Matt forgot something in a cab when he switched ends, and waited for the service to start before going back to fix it - that just made me think "oh hang on!"

10. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

In real life, for sure, but not on TSW does it? Haven't heard or seen anything in those regards announced or talked about.

What I noticed mostly on Dresden Riesa, but what has also happened on BML, is that some parts of the train are operated by the AI driver, even though it is a player operated service (e.g. opening and closing of doors, setting up the headlights, and so on). This is especially happening to me when I change ends and drive a new service back without quitting the session. I would consider that as a severe bug, since the AI driver is interfering with the player, and it is not enjoyable when that happens. When I close the doors, the AI would open them up immediately again so I cannot start driving for example :(

• Like Like x 2
  11. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

This happened to me once on east Coastway

12. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It is a bug that happens on many routes, if not all of them. It happens when you take over a train from AI, but are NOT sitting in the driver's seat at the exact time the timetable starts. A fix is long overdue, but alas...

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If only DTG could incorporate the similar dynamic on German trains: IRL, the driver merely unlocks the doors, it's up to passengers actually to open them. And as with the -Ostars, they shut on a timer if not closed manually.

14. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Yeah, that's the most accurate analogy in the instances I'm seeing it. Though in my case, it's not related to changing cabs or being out of the seat as those circumstances aren't relevant to the services I was on at the time. I start the service from the menu and it just happens at some point along the run. No rhyme or reason to it that I've come up with. I guess if there's an upside to it, it doesn't have a negative impact on gameplay, so I can live with it. I doubt it's going to make the "A-list" of issues to resolve.