London Underground

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RJ266, Oct 22, 2021.

1. RJ266

RJ266 New Member

Maybe introduce more London Underground routes like Victoria Line, Central line and introduce more trains for it like the S7’s and so, basically modern trains.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The trouble is, most tube lines run automatically with the driver only there to monitor, which wouldn't be particularly interesting to replicate in the sim and unrealistic if driven manually (they do have the provision for this but is only used in emergency situations).

The exceptions to this are the Bakerloo line and Piccadilly line, which use older stock not equipped with ATO (Automatic Train Operation). We already have Bakerloo and the Piccadilly line is too large to be a practical to make (something like 58 stations need modelling, which is almost twice as much as the biggest routes we have already).

However the subsurface lines (Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City) use modern stock (S7+1 and S8) but are largely driven manually (except for a recent change to ATO around Edgware Road to Aldgate I think). These lines are more ideal, but are still a bit too large to model in their entirety.

The best tube lines would therefore be either be the full Circle line or a section of the Metropolitan line from Baker Street to Amersham, Chesham and Watford (the latter potentially forming part of a Marylebone to Aylesbury route with a Class 165).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Subway systems are increasingly automatically controlled, so anyone hoping for the thrills of metro driving will have to hope for vintage routes or more obscure ones like Prague or Kiev.

4. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

i think Jubilee Line from Stanmore to Stratford with branch to Charing Cross would be a nice route. i also think about working Metropolitan Line on it, between Wembley Park and Finchley Road.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Or simply step back to the era when the tube was manually driven. Imagine the Northern Line set in the 70’s or early 80’s with a mix of 1938, 1959 and 1972 stock. The Northern would be a good choice due to it’s networked layout, much of it in quite complex tunnel (Camden Town, Kennington), those scary narrow island platforms at Angel and a few of the stations towards Morden. It also doesn’t follow or parallel much in the way of BR lines so you avoid the empty 4 track railway north of Queens Park we get with Bakerloo, or missing DC line trains.

6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd be really interested to see figures on which are the most played routes in TSW2, assuming DTG have access to that sort of thing through the DTL driver logs, if not hidden analytics. I see a fair few requests for more tube lines so some people are obviously enjoying it, but I don't have any appetite for more underground. I'd have put money on Bakerloo being one of the least played routes (notwithstanding the fact that everybody's forced to own it by default).

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The big problem with Bakerloo as I alluded to above is that it's too linear, combined with the flakey save game. The timetable is about 20% of the real thing, so you can alight at Elephant and Castle, relinquish your inbound train and have to wait 20 minutes for the next train! So yes I drove it a bit out of curiosity, but would have to say my No.1 played UK route is NTP, probably WSR No.2.

• Like Like x 1