Fixed My Out Of Memory Crash Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by dak4482, Oct 23, 2021.

1. dak4482

dak4482 New Member

Hi all,
    I had been having the dreaded out of memory crash problem also. I've been modelling the Cleveland Ohio area with a VERY detailed track route that included almost every piece of track in the Greater Cleveland Area from Collinwood to Berea. Ive been unable to edit my route in TS for 2 years now because of this problem with my route.
    I then got a crazy idea. In looking over the route files I just wondered if maybe I had gone past some mysterious limit on the amount of track you can lay down. So I erased several of the larger track.bin files in the track tiles directory. LOW AND BEHOLD the game started perfectly with my route showing perfectly while only missing the tracks I had erased.
    Is anyone aware of some physical limit on tracks that is hard coded into the game. I am running an I7 7700 processor with 32 gigs of memory and cant imagine its a memory problem on my end. Any help would be appreciated. By the way the count on my track.bin files in the track tiles directory is 348 separate files.
    Any way to check with Dovetail on this? OK to contact me by email if you feel so inclined.
    Dan
    dak4482@comcast.net

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with physical RAM installed. It is usually a memory mismatch between the Windows Virtual Address Space and the Physical RAM. If an address in the VAS cannot be addressed in the RAM - Invalid Page fault - OOM crash.
    One of your track.bin files was probably occupying an address in the VAS that could not be found in the RAM for several reasons, and that caused the crash.
    Unfortunately, it is an idiosyncratic error - may work on one PC and not on another - almost impossible to fix without a total rewrite of TS code.

3. dak4482

dak4482 New Member

Thx Peter. Appreciate the help. Now if only the developers would listen.

4. dak4482

dak4482 New Member

Peter,
    You nailed it!!! I found ONE .bin file that was causing a problem and when I removed that everything appears to work fine again. Now I just need to try and replaced that somewhat large section of track and see if it will accept the new stuff. THX ever so much for your help. 2 years of frustration is over hahaha.

Peter, Are there any programs out there that will diplay this type of .bin file or check for errors in it? There was an old program several years ago that looked at the files but I cant remember it.

Dan

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  5. Peter Hayes

Dan
    The only app that I recall that looks after .bin files (specific to TS) is TS_Tools (formerly RW-Tools).
    Google "check errors in .bin files" gives quite a few entries.

6. yeejhx

yeejhx New Member

How can i find that app TS_tools? I have the same problem,out ot memory

7. Peter Hayes