Aws, Dsd And Other Alarms

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richardwwoodward, Oct 24, 2021.

1. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

Help! I am getting very frustrated with trying to differentiate the alarm sounds in TSW2. Specifically I am thinking of the class 377.
    I am okay with AWS chime on green, but the others in am unsure about. I have looked everywhere and cannot find anything.
    Can anyone educate me on what the different alarms mean?
    1. Solid beep
    2. Slow beeping
    3. Fast beeping

There seem to be a lot of different alarm sounds and I’m seriously confused

2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

1: Solid beep - AWS warning indicating adverse signal or speed restriction (with the yellow sunflower displayed in cab and yellow i icon in the HUD)
    2: Slow beeping - doors opening?
    3: Fast beeping - DSD/DVD alert with yellow i icon in the hud (also possibly doors closing makes a similar noise)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Perhaps it might help to physically press the buttons in the cab to see if they cancel the alarm you're getting, that way you can associate the sound with that system.

• Like Like x 1
  4. richardwwoodward

Thanks, that would make sense. Not sure about 2 as it’s not the doors, and is happening only while in motion. But thanks for the help.

5. richardwwoodward

That’s a good idea, I’ll try that. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think it might be a good idea to list what you’re turning on in the cab, so that we can narrow down what’s what.

The only slow beeping I can think of would also be the doors closing alerts.

AWS will periodically sound whenever you go over the magnets, if the signal ahead is clear it will give you the clear tone, when the signal is adverse it will make a longer tone that you will need to acknowledge.

DSD will give you the faster beeping alert which you need to acknowledge around every 30 seconds if you haven’t used any cab controls in that time.

So I think the slow beeping, if not the doors,may be the AWS clear tone? You probably hear this every 700 yards or so.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I can't say I've ever heard any slow beeping whilst in motion in the cab of the 377, 387 or any other UK loco for that matter.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There is a bug with the 377 in East Coastway (but not in London Commuter) where the AWS warning that should be a single long beep actually plays as quickly repeating short beeps due to bad looping on the Playstation version. It is the same bug that later appeared on the 375 in Southeastern High Speed.

If it is that that you are hearing just before a yellow signal then it is to be treated like the long constant beep it should be. It’s the AWS.

This is why that bug should be fixed on those units. But calls for a fix have fallen on deaf ears so far, even though it is quite a major bug.

• Like Like x 2
  9. richardwwoodward

Ahhhhh. That must be it, because I heard it when on East Coastway but I didn't hear the other one you mentioned when playing London Commuter in the Class 387 this morning. Thank you! I thought I was going bonkers :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. richardwwoodward

I think Stujoy found the solution - it's a sound issue on the 377 on the East Coastway. After reading everyone's comments I did a run this morning on the London Commuter from Brighton to Victoria on a 387 and only got the expected sounds. Chime for green, solid tone for warning aspect and the fast beeps for DSD/DVD. So, I think I'm all good now :)

11. richardwwoodward

Thanks for the help folks, I think we have solved the mystery :)

• Like Like x 1