Workshop Scenarios - Nooby Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patrick.wadsworth, Oct 24, 2021.

1. patrick.wadsworth

patrick.wadsworth New Member

I have not been using TS202x for long but have discovered the Workshop Scenarios for some of the routes I own. Is there a beginners guide to using Workshop scenarios that someone can point me at please? I have 'subscribed' to several Scenarios and they appear in the game under the Workshop tab but I can't see how I get to run them. I have tried subscribing to Workshop Scenarios for a coupel fo different routes I own and none of them appear if I try the Standard or Career tgab and select All Secnarios or Workshop Scenarios. I conclude that there is soething I need to do to get TS202x to download them ir some option/switch I need to select. Any help appreaicated

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I wrote this last year:
    Subscribing to a WS means that the next time TS20XX is run, it downloads that particular scenario into the appropriate route.
    In TS20XX itself it is best not to run the scenario from the "WORKSHOP" tab but to run it from the "Career", Standard", "QD" and/or "freeRoam" tab as is appropriate.
    Pages 60 + in the TS2020 User Guide
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Manuals\EN
    This might help - a great guide by Warwick Rail: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2364751070

pH

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

No idea why you can't see them listed under the Career, Standard and FreeRoam tabs as appropriate. Come to think of it I have a few scenarios subscribed which I can't locate- perhaps it's the same problem so I'll watch this thread with interest.

To get started from the Workshop tab click the Subscribed button (at the top of the list) to list the scenarios that you have actually subscribed to and downloaded or which are queued to be downloaded- there'll be an indication at the bottom of the screen in this case. Then you can click on a scenario and Drive (bottom right) presuming you have all the required DLC and it's here that a problem can emerge- I'm not sure if it's a Steam problem or a TS problem but scenarios can be cursed with "phantom" dependencies which appear as being required for the scenario even if they have nothing to do with it. The Metropolitan Line makes frequent appearances as a phantom dependency amongst others. Sadly if you don't have all the dependencies, including phantoms, the Workshop tab menu won't let you start the scenario.

4. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I download a workshop scenario that contains AI traffic, I navigate to the standard tab to find the scenario. For QD run for routes that are either extensions of a route, I usually create a custom consist to find the QD scenario

5. patrick.wadsworth

Thank you for your replies. Nothing mentioned above I have not tried already. Maybe it is just a timing issue or something and the scenarios will appear in a while.

6. patrick.wadsworth

I (think) have found the answer. I subscribed to the scenarios by selecting the Workshop tab in the main Steam page and then subscribing or + in the workshop page that opened. This causes the scenario to appear in the Workshop tab within TS202x. You have to Subscribe again at this screen for the scenario to be downloaded into the game itself. So subscribing twice is what is needed.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I've never used the Workshop tab to look for items- the way it lumps everything into one big list just annoys me. You can just look though the Workshop in Steam and subscribe to items there- they're downloaded and installed the next time you start TS. There's a search function which is... not that good TBH but you can work around its weaknesses to some extent.

8. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

This site is pretty good for searching the workshop items.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Thanks Reef. I was trying to be too clever!

11. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

There is an ongoing issue for at least 6 years, where extracting multiple (workshop) scenarios at once causes them to get corrupted.
    Generally, subscribing to one or two per game session (or maybe using in-game, not sure what causes the issue) is my resolution.

One problematic collusion: the game tends to clean up some scenarios for routes you don't own, which can put you in the endless cycle of always having some scenarios to extract. I had a scenario that was updated every single time I ran the game.

Also, depending on your luck, you may end up with a scenario that either blocks the game from loading, causes a hard crash, or (my favorite) keeps throwing out entries from your database. (After unsubbing from something recently, my Quick Drive list stopped shrinking.)

Steam downloads them just fine - I mean, it's a download, and basically Steam would be down the drain if it couldn't do its #1 job, downloading games. The problem is with TS, since if you simply delete the scenario (without unsubbing), it will be re-extracted the next time. That's how I fix my old ones. I decide what to play, I look up the file, delete folder if faulty.

Scenarios *always* show up on the appropriate tab, except when corrupted. (There is a scenario type called Timetabled which doesn't have a tab anymore.)
    A few scenarios may have requirements you don't have, or have minor corruption (e.g. wrong season, weather, or scenario type), so you may need to play from the workshop tab (if doesn't show up) or the specific tab (if the Drive is gray).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021