What The Audio "police" Think Of The 313

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rich_84, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Rich_84

Rich_84 Active Member

So after Sams unprofessional comment on a recent stream I thought would comment on the 313 audio on behalf of the audio police.

I would say 7/10 for effort but must try harder, yes the motor sounds are quite good but the run sounds seem very quiet at low speed & it's especially noticeable when rolling into Lewes, there's no vigilance warning sound which they know about, the connecting doors in the centre coach don't make any noise, no brake squeal when stopping & there's no flange noise either.

I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from DTG, at least it sounds better than the 150!

• Like Like x 4
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

...someone's beer got pissed in, it seems.

• Like Like x 17
  3. solicitr

Sam replies

• Like Like x 9
  4. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

I want this soundpack.

5. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Try this one

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That doesn't have the same feel as the Colonel's, it lacks copyright infringement and also feels far too realistic :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I don’t know who this “Sam” works for, but if he’s a DTG employee then he ought to be disciplined for insulting the customer base.
    Fact is, TSW has a history of poor audio effects, whether it was the original 37 on TVL, which sounded like a badly looped Kia Sportage until it got redone, the dire 1938 stock, the 1442 on Rapid Transit or the ongoing farce with the 150. As I just commented in my Rapid Transit thread, you cannot have a sim with high quality visuals and gameplay, but get away with yellow water poor audio. I don’t buy the latest film release on 4K UHD disk and expect a mono soundtrack or subtitles. It’s about time Paul Jackson got involved with this aspect of the game and started kicking posteriors, not allow employees to mock discerning customers who point out shortcomings.

As regards the 313, seems like the sounds might be okay but as I don’t own ECW (boring) and they won’t layer it into BML or with a reskin on the DC Line section of Bakerloo, I won’t be buying.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

There's something about that mod that makes the train sound like its a diesel train, it's too deep gravelly and in my opinion, it doesn't sound like the real train, I'd stick to AP sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Were the traction motor sounds reused from the 314? I'm aware that they're from the same family of trains, but don't PEPs under DC have those more 'airy' (not sure how to describe it) sounds from the traction motors? Rest of it is pretty good going off my experience of 313s.

10. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

In tsw it is in general that the running sounds and wind sounds are too quiet or missing completely. Just how bad is rro 422 when you cut the power there is no sound at all even if you open windows. Real immersion breaking. I think that the runing sounds should be at least core feature as should the sounds of wind when running with opened windows. Than just make running sounds louder or a bit quiter for different locos, but that sound should be almost the same across the board.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The sounds are fairly accurate , except for the lack of door alarms when opening , and the lack of squeaking of the brakes when departing

• Like Like x 2
  12. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

audio police???

13. OldVern

Suffixing an adjective with “police” in this sort of instance is used as a derogatory and insulting message.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a sarcastic joke tbh but do agree that it was unnecessary, fair enough if the sounds are good, but not perfect, however we are now on multiple releases in a row where they have been incredibly poor.

If anything, Sam’s comment only displays how seriously the feedback regarding sounds isn’t received.

Personally I don’t mind the joking at all, but I haven’t spent a penny since Rush Hour, because of the state of TSW currently, the audio is a big factor in that decision, and DTG having a joke about that part of the sim definitely isn’t drawing me into further purchases.

• Like Like x 11
  15. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Trains missing a lot of sounds is not a joke matter. Also this is just after the infamous BR 187 release.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure it’s fair to call those passionate about accurate sounds in the game ‘sound police’. We only want the game to be as good as it can be - and not being in an actual moving train, sound is very important to help simulate the experience.

• Like Like x 3
  17. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well done Sam.
    Where can we download his sound mod?

‘You can’t pin nothing on him squire, he’s innocent!”

18. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I used the term "sound police" because that's the level of scrutiny applied to all sound in the game by players. It was an off-the-cuff and light-hearted remark that was in no way intended to diminish the importance of sound, far from it; if the sound falls short in any way at all there will be criticism. This is why we dedicate time in all previews to playing the train sound in isolation - specifically so that those most critical of sound can experience what is on offer.

I have always advocated inside DTG for whatever players have decreed is important, particularly when it comes to sound. That we have recently hired 2 new audio engineers and that we have open positions for more still is testimony to the fact that the strength of your opinion is represented inside the company.

• Like Like x 30
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think it's more that it struck a nerve with some given the heavy (and, IMO, justified) criticism of the BR187 and Class 150. I think it'd have been taken better if we'd just come off a few DLCs where the only audio criticisms are genuinely nitpicks.

• Like Like x 3
  20. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

New channel idea Sam, "constable sound"? ;)

A channel dedicated to make noise

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

Like the 313?

It must be emphasized here that the 150, 187 and 1938 are all third-party products. I can't think of a DTG loco released in a long time where the sound complaints amounted to more than nitpicks.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

The Rapid Transit 1442? Also the original 37 sounds in TVL were very poor, before they were reworked.

23. trainsimplayer

To be honest - it really speaks volumes when both of these locos are older ones. Shows an upwards curve, And that has to be a positive.

But in general, I think TSW's sounds are really good, especially compared to early TSW2020 and back into TS, it's really come leaps and bounds.

• Like Like x 3
  24. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

You guys attacking Sam's video need to get a life. In fact, that was a re-post, I assume unauthorized by 'Colonel Failure". Check his channel - thank G.. for his sense of humour, I need a chuckle now and again, especially after reading this forum.

• Like Like x 7
  25. OldVern

But they are still selling it as such in the case of Rapid Transit, at the full asking price of £24.99. It's not been dropped to the permanent bargain bin.

• Like Like x 1
  26. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Like I said before.
    Contempt for customers is this company's mission statement.

27. trainsimplayer

I mean they don't have any obligation to, however it would be nice to see that. I personally (and I'd imagine this is the same with many others) got it from Train Sim World 2020, and I quite like it - especially after the Preservation Crew's Update, however I do agree it would be good if it had some form of discount.

That isn't exactly fair, is it?

28. zzw1983

How are you gonna be part of a company, that has a nearly two decade long legacy of rushing releases with no fixes, and call your customer base (that you believe you have monopolized) "sound police" for wanting the trains within their TRAIN SIMULATOR to sound like trains?

That doesn't sound like contempt to you?

The best piece of advice I got was when I was 15: "If you're gonna do something, do it right, or don't do it at all".

• Like Like x 4
  29. Clumsy Pacer

East Coastway 377 and the subsequent SEHS 375 sounds weren't fantastically well received in general. I think a few people have complained about the 112 from Hamburg as well, some saying it doesn't sound much like the real thing.

DTG have not been around for 20 years - I've no idea where you got that from. Also, to say they've not made fixes is really unfair.

• Like Like x 5
  30. zzw1983

Ahem. Rail Simulator has been around since 2006-7. And the core of that company was Kuju which was around longer. And I did say "nearly". Read before you type.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Clumsy Pacer

Dovetail was formed from a group of people who worked at Kuju and wanted to continue to make stuff for Rail Simulator, as such it became RailWorks. They started a company in 2008, called Rail Simulator Developments Ltd. Subsequently it became Railsimulator.com Ltd, which is still DTG's legal name.

Bar making the game from which DTG was formed, Kuju have nothing to do with them.

• Like Like x 3
  32. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Sam, please if you allow me, I want to add more information so I can help you. As for LBN, returning to the subject of the sound of locos 377 and 387 it is important to remember that the sound of these trains is perfect, very well done and nice to listen to, however the main issue is the sound of the trains inside the cabin, it is very very low if you hear in an external camera you can hear it very well, inside the cabin there is a very loud wind noise, and when you open only the right window there is very little sound from the cabin.
    As for M7 and M3 the sound of the loco, I have nothing to complain about the mixing, but apparently it does not work inside the cabin or outside, it seems that the sound of the locomotive is only heard in the last two cars (NYP - HIC)

• Like Like x 3
  33. tcmikaelsouza

As for LBN, returning to the subject of the sound of locos 377 and 387 it is important to remember that the sound of these trains is perfect, very well done and nice to listen to, however the main issue is the sound of the trains inside the cabin, it is very very low if you hear in an external camera you can hear it very well, inside the cabin there is a very loud wind noise, and when you open only the right window there is very little sound from the cabin.

34. Clumsy Pacer

Also the AWS and DVD sometimes don't sound, or only sound for a little bit.

35. tcmikaelsouza

DTG JD, another point is that the rain noise is very loud inside the cabin, beyond that point, help us with the sound of the loco in the cabin and the security systems.

• Like Like x 1
  36. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I heard the comment as well and didn't take offence in it. I thought it was rather funny. In the other stream you have even asked the questions to matt like a real sound police officer would do. :D

On topic: The wipers have no sound

37. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ah, the old "I am going to get annoyed because of an ironic flippant comment" reaction...
    Sometimes I wonder why people bother watching streams because they surely know everythings not going to be dour seriousness forever.

Part of Sam's charm is that he can be serious with levity, and acknowledging that people in the community will scrutinise absolutely every iota of everything they release (like the police would a crime scene (we hope)) is a good thing. They KNOW we will call them out on their nonsense!

• Like Like x 6
  38. tcmikaelsouza

Good morning Friends, getting off topic, I agree, I don't know why people feel offended by jokes, or with little things said around, or even like to foment confusion instead of ignoring and going on with life, I just want these issues are resolved and make friends here on the forum to politely discuss improvements and how to play better.

• Like Like x 4
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal experience with the Class 313, but, after driving it for a few runs, I think it sounds like a 45 year old emu should sound. I rather like it and prefer it to the more modern, rather faceless trains we've gotten recently.

And, I think some people need to lower their sensitivity meter down a few notches. The term " sound police " is a term that has occurred to me from time to time, to describe those who think " the base note of the traction motors is a little too high on the register " or similar nitpicking.
    I blame social media, where every little malapropism is magnified and amplified to a ridiculous degree or something someone said 20 years ago when they were 6 1/2 becomes a major incident.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  40. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Sam is the jester of DTG

41. OldVern

Now you are tempting me to rebuy ECW along with the 313. Will see what packs might be up for sale come Black Friday or Xmas.

42. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Truth be told, I bought the 313 because it adds to the variety of services on BML and that's where I've been driving it. ECW is OK, but not a favorite of mine.

43. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

They are now also legally named DTG and registered with companies House as DTG
    Screenshot_20211101-175121_Chrome.jpg

44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm wondering where all the football kits are on the football scenario.