Guide To Driving Hudless On The East Coastway

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Oct 31, 2021.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

For those of you who have always thought about driving with the HUD completely turned off Ive created a detailed guide on doing exactly that on the East Coastway between Brighton, Lewes & Seaford.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xOiThi2HOn21jdjxWpsYqyOg2BQKVsUd/view

Theres also a video guide available to watch in conjunction with this guide

I'd love some feedback on what people like and what they dont like and if theres anything else people would like including.

Whilst designed predominately for the Class 313 this will work just as well with the Class 377/4 and Ive also included freight speed limits for the Class 66 and any other off the rail locos you'd want to drive.

• Helpful Helpful x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

That a great piece of work you have done.
    Thanks !

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Great choice of route and vehicle and an excellent document to go with it.
    Very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rich.cooke

rich.cooke New Member

A great document. Very detailed, professional and helpful. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Nice documents. For Route learning and for driving as well. Regards from another "No Hud" Driver.

Makes the driving a whole new experience, just enjoying the fact a 60min run can end up in a bad day because of human errors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Superb effort, very detailed and makes driving without HUD much easier. It would be great if you could provide a guide from Seaford to Brighton, and ultimately Brighton to Eastbourne and vice versa. Also, you could add information about track inclination where appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'm currently doing Brighton to Eastbourne (as they share much the same route). But yeah take on board the gradients, that's a really good call!!

Once I've done the 4 guides for East Coastway I can't decide if I should do Cartcart, NTP or Sandpatch next. Eventually will start on London Commuter but that's going to be a massive job given that there the fast lines to and from Gatwick, then the slow lines plus the branch. Still not worked out how I'm going to do that without it resembling a fighting fantasy style guide.

I think it will be a guide each for the main lines with suggested services to practice on as a lesson guide and once you've memorised one section move onto the next guide.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  8. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Yeah, once you decide to drive as realistically as possible and completely disable the HUD, you start to really study the route in detail. One of the reasons I find mainlines very difficult to memorize is the complexity of different classes of tracks and sometimes even lack of trackside scenery as reference points. In my opinion the best approach to gaining route knowledge is to segment the route and learn one segment at a time, which is exactly what you did.
    On a side note, West Somerset Railway is a great route to start learning to drive without HUD, for any people who are still reluctant to give it a try.