Schnellfahrstrecke Köln - Rhein / Main

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lime, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Lime

Lime Member

[​IMG]
    Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Rhein/Main is a German highspeed line connecting Köln and Frankfurt Airport. It is around 170km long, but I think building it might not be much more work than Riesa-Dresden because DTG have said that most of the work is building the stations of which this route has only six (plus some S-Bahn stops between Köln and Siegburg/Bonn): Köln Hbf, Köln Messe/Deutz, Siegburg/Bonn, Montabaur, Limburg Süd and Frankfurt Flughafen. Also, the route in itself and the timetable are less complex than on other TSW routes.

What makes it interesting?
    1. This route would be the first "true" German highspeed route which is built specifically for ICE trains and would be the first to feature "Feste Fahrbahn" (ballastless track) and allow speeds of 300km/h.
    2. It has gradients of up to 4% aswell as many tunnels and bridges which makes it a new driving experience.
    3. It has appropriate travelling times of around 45-60 minutes depending on the number of stops.
    4. It would be the first route in Germany where ICE trains have multiple stops in the middle of the route rather than just at the ends like SKA and HMA.
    5. Even though there are only ICE trains using the route, the timetable could still provide a fair amount of variety:
      • Some trains come from Köln Hbf, others come from Düsseldorf and only stop at Köln Messe/Deutz.
      • Some trains don't stop at all between Köln and Frankfurt Airport, others only stop in Siegburg/Bonn and some stop everywhere.
    What trains could be delivered with it?
    Most of the services are driven by the BR 403 ICE 3 which could be reused from HMA. The BR 406 from SKA (, which everyone owns,) also operates on the line and could get a layer. As a new train, the BR 412 ICE 4, which operates on the route since 2018, could be introduced into the game.
    [​IMG]ICE 4

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 31
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and you might need to consider this there are DB BR407s running on the line towards Stuttgart Hbf. Frankfurt Am Main Flughafen station on the Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein-Main Main gets Intercity services Railjet and Nightjet

• Like Like x 4
  3. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

Own this route and base game Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen you should be able to drive all the way to Frankfurt Am Main Hbf. The screen at Köln Hbf will say do you wish to continue to Frankfurt yes or no? Yes Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein-Main is loaded for you

• Like Like x 2
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Actually I don't really see the point in another race track like the LGV. There is hardly anything spectacular about this route except for the speed and some bridges. The LZB guides you to the Schnellfahrstrecke, so there is hardly anything to do while sitting in the cab. No diversity of rolling stock (only ICE 3(M), and maybe the newly suggested ICE 4), no freight at all, no commuter, no inetween stops except for some of the trains which stop at Limburg etc. Can someone explain what would be the exciting thing about this route?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed, I didn't buy LGV because it's a one trick pony, but at least it's not another German route. A route like the one suggested here will end up on my ignore list.

7. Lime

Lime Member

Sure, if you don’t like highspeed passenger services, this route won’t be for you and that is ok,
    but
    1. It would be something that is different from all other German routes currently in the game.
    2. There is more variety in inbetween stops (3 instead of 1) and rolling stock than on LGV.
    3. I did'nt write it in the post but there could still be S-Bahn and RE services for the 25km from Köln Hbf to Siegburg/Bonn.

• Like Like x 3
  8. drnicktgm#1259

There would be the sbahn to Troisdorf and Frankfurt s Bahn, of course it isn't anything spectacular, but normal train drivers drive every day on the route, even if it would be bored to sit in the cap, dtg could finally add some new features to the trains like ticket checks or the Bordrestaurant, and maybe random things that could happen along the track, the landscape isn't that beautiful in tsw like in real life, but still there could be like I said new features that could be added

• Like Like x 2
  9. drnicktgm#1259

Every one has a different opinion, new countrys would be really cool, but honestly the only routes I want are the routes I usually drive on, I live in Germany, the only routes I want are those that are in my area, or routes I drove on when I was on vacation, but it's my opinion, I understand yours and that's good that you think that way

• Like Like x 2
  10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think this would be a cool route to have. They could have it merge with ska which everyone has so we can do ice services from aachen to Frankfurt Hbf and the s-bahn/re services would be longer with a merge. It also has s-bahn and RE services would be longer as well so for those who want variety, well there you go.

They could also introdue the db s-bahn koln db br 423 as well which could replace the db br 422 in ska as well since the 422 doesn't run on ska in real life

• Like Like x 2
  11. driverwoods#1787

You mean the DB BR406 being able to run Aachen HBF to Frankfurt Am Main Hbf via Koln Hbf and Frankfurt Airport if SKA was to be merged with SRM since everyone has SKA. SRM is the DTG abbreviation to Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein Main if made. If you have both HMA & SKA then SRM can be used to max out DB BR406 & DB BR403. Manual for the route should also say some services are made up of DB BR406 & 403 in double-headed formation. An example is ICE Line 78 to Amsterdam CS via the Duisburg Oberhausen Arnhem Railway is combined with ICE Line 79 to Brussels Midi via Aachen Hbf which we play on SKA on the Frankfurt Am Main to Koln Hbf section.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yes. Exactly what i mean :)

13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

You're in a luxury position. The chances I'll ever see my local routes, or even a route in my country, are tiny.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jack.amos.amj

jack.amos.amj New Member

Good suggestion but might be to long.

15. drnicktgm#1259

DTG has mentioned, that they usually work with British American and German routes because they already know how the signaling and safety systems work, on new routes it's hard for them, France was the only new country they added because they have already worked with the route, but otherwise the only creates that make new countrys are companies that work with DTG together like rivet games, maybe your country has creators that are interested in adding a route from your country to the game

16. da.virus

da.virus Member

Yes, YES, YES!
    I can't remember the number of times I've posted in the forum about how fitting and great this route would be, but I'll do it again: this route is fantastic!

Thank you very much for the suggestion and I'm happy to see once again that I'm not the only one who loves this route.

• Like Like x 1
  17. driverwoods#1787

Can probably see this happening people who have Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg in addition to everyone who has Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen will max out their ICE3 Trains DB BR406 & DB BR403 to the max.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

I already regret buying LGV and this one would be even more uninteresting. It is basically LGV minus the system change, minus manually selecting the speed set point and with far worse looking rolling stock. Driving 300 km/h gets old the second you reach that speed for the first time. The ICE 4 does not even go that fast to begin with.

A combination of a short high speed section and regular line like featured both in Köln - Aachen and Southeastern High Speed is a far more interesting experience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. da.virus

da.virus Member

Funny how the LGV is one of the most and best reviewed DLC on steam, right?
    And maybe this is just your opinion and a lot of players love high speed routes for the ICE.
    And furthermore, maybe everything you said might be not true:

-It is not basically LGV.
    -if you like to manually select your speed turn off the AFB
    -the rolling stock (ICE 3) looks way better than the TGV
    -driving 300 km/h never gets old
    -the ICE 4 doesn't reach 300 but a steam locomotive doesn't either so what's the point?
    -the route is a combination of "regular line" and High speed line (+S-Bahn and big stations)

• Like Like x 3
  20. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely correct and can be linked to Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen since it has DB BR406. ICE 4 DB BR412 max speed 250 kmh 155 mph slower than ICE3 330 kmh 205 mph max however 200 mph 320 kmh is reached in France LGV Est

• Like Like x 1
  21. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Jonne1184 on a number of those points. I've found the ICE 3 to be one of the blandest trains in TSW regardless of its top speed and, though I don't have the LGV route, I think the TGV is a much better looking train.

22. da.virus

da.virus Member

This is why this route would be a perfect opportunity to give the ICE 3 a more in depth functionality.
    For me personally the ICE 3 looks better and the TGV comes on the 2nd place but this is of course completely personally.

23. Jonne1184

Please elaborate. What functionality would the route add?

24. da.virus

da.virus Member

Please read carefully. You quoted a statement from me in which I spoke about the ICE 3.
    But to take the chance, this is what I meant for example:
    - correct Brake- and Power indicators/displays (currently not existent; e.G. Pneumatic, Electric and Eddy-Current-Brake)
    - new display menus (especially for the power consumption/recuperation, pantograph-selection...)
    - EBuLa (would be a huge leap for every train)
    - different Brake modes (the real ICE has a small button on top of the Brake-handle to change modes)
    - maybe a version of an Br403 with analogue speed and traction indicators
    - new liveries (Railbow, Europe or just with Taufnamen for example)
    - SiFa-fix for the Br403 (doesn't trigger an emergency brake!)
    - Windows that are not so strongly tinted that you cannot see through them (if you ride as a passenger)
    - Passenger Information Displays in the cabin (Speed, map, coach number etc.)
    - and so on...

If you want to hear what new features the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Rhein/Main would bring, just read through the many posts on this topic in other suggestions. But the first post from Lime in this suggestions has already some good points.

25. Jonne1184

So you actually want an update to the ICE 3? Well thats understandable.

As I had already concluded, this would equal to exactly none.

26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Funny how only those people who bought it can review it, right?

LGV is a one trick pony, and according to steam reviews it's apparently pretty good at the one trick it does. It's supposedly a pretty good high speed line, but that's totally not relevant for those of us who don't like dedicated high speed lines, and doesn't say a thing about the number of people who didn't buy it just because it's a one trick pony.

27. Jonne1184

After about an hour, I would have also given LGV a good review. But now? Not so much. That is the reason why I and by this thread it looks like others too, will not buy another pure high speed route. Espacially not with basically automatic train operation. And no, switching AFB off is unrealistic and thus not a solution.

28. driverwoods#1787

the electronic time table which is EBula should be added to this route because it's going to give you information on the line speed limit provided you are playing without the heads up display. That feature will be useful on this route and all Deutsche Bahn Netze routes in game including the new Tharandter Rampe Dresden Chemnitz (Karl Marx Stadt)

• Like Like x 1
  29. maikcolonia

maikcolonia Active Member

This route would be a dream, I live only 20 km from Montabaur train station.
    In addition to the ICE route, there would also be a regional connection from Siershahn via Montabaur to Limburg (Lahn), so Limburg would have two train stations.

• Like Like x 2
  30. da.virus

da.virus Member

Yes, it is funny indeed, because it proves my point: Preferably only those players who bought the route write a review, so:

Many reviews = many purchases.
    Many good reviews = many happy customers.
    -> Many happy customers + many purchases = great interest in these kind of products.

I don't argue that the selection of routes is absolutely personal but I dislike that people call things generally "boring" or "uninteresting" just because it isn't their type of preference. I don't do that either on other suggestions, that I don't like that much.
    I wouldn't say anything against polite, justified concerns, but if I notice that it is just about a personal aversion, I am getting personal too, to show, that there is always a second side of the coin.
    Because the other suggestion of this route did not become one of the most popular posts here in the forum by itself.

31. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm posting here because I have concerns, which IMO is justified. The reason I'm commenting here in this topic is because I think it adds value to let the developer know why I (and others) do not like a particular suggested route. In this case, not because it's a high speed route, but because it's a one trick pony. This information is, IMO, helpful to let DTG or 3rd parties decide which routes to develop in future.

There's got to be some high speed routes which also feature some other traffic, which could potentially interest both groups of people (those who like high speed, and those who don't, or at least don't like one trick ponies). IMO routes like South Eastern High Speed and Köln-Aachen offer a pretty cool high speed experience, while also offering commuter and freight traffic.

I think I'm allowed to post these kinds of opinion, and I think it adds value. I'm not just calling things boring or uninteresting without explaining why. If you don't like that, I'm sorry to have upset you. That certainly isn't my intention.

• Like Like x 1