Can I Subsitute Loco's For Different Routes/scenarios?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by playthoseblues, Oct 31, 2021.

1. playthoseblues

playthoseblues Active Member

Hello,
    I recently made the move from TSW to Train Sim 20XX and am having a lot of fun, although I don't know if my wallet agrees.. !
    I purchased the Settle - Carlisle route during the current Steam sale and have found the Class 158 a little underwhelming (the sounds in particular are pretty awful). I noticed I also have a 158 from the Fife Circle Line route and was wondering if I can substitute this one into the Settle Route to complete scenarios/journeys etc. and if there is an appropriate Northern livery.
    Thanks for your help in advance,
    Cheers!

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of a reskin for the Fife Circle 158, although I have tried it and wasn't exactly impressed by the brakes compared to other 158s in game. All 158s on Steam use the same or very similar soundset, mind.

I'd recommend getting the standalone 158, which unlike the Settle-Carlisle 158, has working headlights so that's a start: https://store.steampowered.com/app/208346/Train_Simulator_Class_158_DMU_AddOn/
    The alternative (if the sounds really bother you) is to get the Class 159 ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/222633/ ), and the Armstrong Enhancement Pack: https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_89&product_id=189
    Both of these contain a Northern Rail skin, which is appropriate for the route.

You can easily swap trains. Here's Matt's tutorial on it, as a video is going to explain it way better than words.

However that only works if you have both trains installed, and is quite long-winded if you want to swap out every instance of a particular train. For that, there is a method using a program called TS Tools but I don't know how to do it (maybe someone else can post that).

Some more points:
    • Hold 'shift' while selecting a rail vehicle to select the whole consist.
    • If swapping out a whole unit using the method in Matt's video, it's imperative that you place it at the same starting point as the original.
    • I recommend seperating the leading vehicle of the new train from the rest - sometimes it'll put the instructions on the wrong end.
    • To enable a piece of content, on the middle fly-out in the editor, click the blue box with an orange triangle. You then need to find and check the appropriate package. In the dropdown menu, the standalone 158 is under S9BL in the dropdown menu, and for the AP pack, you'd need to enable both RSC > Class159Pack01 and AP > C158EP.
    Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. playthoseblues

Hello Cam,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Funnily enough I noted the headlight problem (what an oversight!) but managed to get around this by editing a .bin file which allowed me to get day light running. I'll bear in mind the AP packs - I wouldn't mind picking some of these up but will wait for a sale.

A similar question I had was regarding the Class 465 as I had purchased the SEHS + Sheerness branch and the Chatham and Valley lines route. I have a 465 from the Chatham pack and note that there is a separate 465 add-on for SEHS which means I'm unable to use the 465 on this line with Workshop scenarios. unless I want to double dip for the same content again. Would you know if I'm missing something here or if that is the case?

Thanks for your help!

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The standalone 465 is an older version, the one in Chatham has been upgraded. If you only have one, you can't use scenarios that use the other, it's like TSW in that regard where you have multiple versions of the same train (there are at least 7 versions of the Class 37). Typically a scenario requirements will specify which pack if there's multiple, if it doesn't, it's likely it was released before there were multiple. You could download the workshop scenario using the old 465 (if you don't want to buy it) and swap them out using TS Tools.

5. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Although not substitution you can use Quick Drive to run anything on anything, except electrics on non-electric routes. You can also create custom consists in QD.

6. playthoseblues

Thank you both for your helpful replies!

7. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

The 465 - not completely true, while it's the same class it's not the same train, the 465 in Chatham is the 465/0 and /1 which was in real life built by a different manufacturer to the 465/2 & 466 (the standalone version is the 465/2 )