Who Here Likes To Play Without The Hud?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tacotruck#7490, Oct 29, 2021.

?

No HUD

Poll closed Nov 2, 2021.
  1. Yes

26.5%
  2. No

29.4%
  3. Depends on the route.

44.1%
  1. tacotruck#7490

tacotruck#7490 New Member

I started this a while back with the German routes.

2. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

I only have the top left HUD on, so I can see distance to next station. All other HUD elements off.

3. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I can play all UK routes HUDless, day and night. German routes I play with signals/speed limits off, and USA I darent touch.

4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

UK routes I play HUDless, German & US routes I have to keep next signal, next stop & speed limit on.

Speaking of the hud though I really think we need to have more control over the size, when I do use the hud I only have 4 elements on and even that probably takes about a quarter of the screen, even on the smallest size setting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boris The Frog

Boris The Frog Active Member

I have the HUD off on UK routes that I'm familiar with but struggle to understand signals on the German routes. You get one when the yards to go count down to zero but you also seem to get another one inbetween that isn't part of the distance countdown so I just find it far easier to have the traffic light display onscreen.

6. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I deeply respect those of you who drive without any HUD - to me this is certainly next level of driving and a nice challenge :)

Sometimes I am driving hudless myself, mostly on LGV where this is the easiest or on some german services. What always stops me and turning the HUD back on are the following points:

Passenger services:
    - Stopping pattern. How do you know where you have to stop next on services where this isn't quite obvious? Do you look it up and maybe write it down before the start of the service?
    - Station departure. As there is no acoustic signal and you can't rely on visible boarded passengers how do you know when to depart? Of course we have the departure times, but if the passenger boarding isn't completed back then TSW won't count it obviously. Do you have a look at the in cab clock (where available) and count to 30 or 60 and then depart afterwards?

Freight:
    The A-B runs are not much of a problem and a good start - but how do you deal with some shunting services with a higher level of complexity, esp. when it's important to follow every step precisely as the game demands it?

Would be nice to share some thoughts :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

UK and German routes aye but God help me on American routes haha

8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Only on UK routes like ecw and GCC

9. tacotruck#7490

On passenger routes and shunting I kind of cheat and use the top left hand corner distance tracker to give me a rough estimate when to stop. I can't remove it on Xbox, but if could, I would follow the ground lights when shunting, and 'H' signs on german passenger routes.

10. tacotruck#7490

I wish it could be turned off for the most hardcore experience.

11. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Have you tried holding the Start button yet? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Yeah these questions you have to think about when driving without the HUD for the first time. I'll give you my experience on London Commuter driving without the HUD.
    - Stopping pattern: This is purely from memory. When I get a new route, I drive with the HUD on at first to get familiar, then after a few goes I don't use the HUD. It's good to have reference points before a station to know when to brake, whether that be a change of speed sign, a particular signal, bridge or even a particular stretch of curved track (like Balham for example heading north).
    - Station departure: If I'm on-time, I will look at the schedule of the upcoming two/three stations for the close doors time and use, as you say, the clock on the 377 left-side panel to cross-check. Another indication I know when to depart is when you close doors and the object marker changes (even with the HUD off), you can still hear the chime. Conversely, if I am running late, I will turn the HUD on to check the loading, although as you say, passenger loading is either 30 or 60 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is generally the last thing I learn when route learning, and I do many Hudless trips with the Ctrl+1 (objective marker) still on, so you get the blue cone, but without the drop with the distance on top, although trying to use the stopping boards on UK routes is a lot more fun! So after I learn where the boards are along the platform I go completely Hudless from there for the UK.

For Germany it's a little trickier, apart for many BR422 S-bahn services where the stopping point is always at the end of the platform, I tend to leave the objective marker on unless I play that route enough to memorize each stopping point (which I believe I only did on SKA back when it was the only playable german route on TSW2).

EDIT: Just realised I completely misunderstood your question, that's quite easy for many TSW routes, since the services are mostly the same, stopping at the same points. But I also write down some stations and some stopping points if that can help me. For example I'm learning ECW again (since I barely touched it since the TSW2020 days) and it's just a matter of knowing the line, knowing where you are, and remembering the braking points for the stations and speed limits. I've found that streaming or recording your runs and re-watching them later is great to spot any place where you can improve, and it doesn't take much effort.

I tend to turn the HUD on when stopped for this reason and seeing if I'm on time, but for some other routes I've used this website + knowdlege of boarding time to do some 100% hudless runs, which was really fun, but you hear the "whoomp" anyway to confirm you did the action correctly.
    Never done any shunting services hudless, I generally treat these services as a way to just sit back, relax and enjoy the trains mainly from the outside cam. It's not a job you can properly recreate in TSW anyway...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

15. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I enjoy driving without the HUD on the routes I'm most familiar with.