Any Signal / Systems Tutorials For Other Lines Than German?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nuggit82, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Nuggit82

Nuggit82 New Member

Hey, I have been looking at this streamed tutorial

Which is absolutely fantastic, are there any other tutorials like that for other trains or routes/signals?

2. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Not from DTG as far as I'm aware, but The British Ace - the prolific TSW youtuber - has made this guide for British signalling:

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They were going to do an American signalling tutorial but that's not materialised - Matt didn't have it done for the stream. In my Cathcart Circle quick start guide I did an overview of signalling (mainly aiming for what's seen on that route though): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2516020598

Also, here's a BR training video from 1989. It's mostly still relevant, however after 1991 shunt signals were changed to display two red horizontal lights when at danger, rather than one white and one red - this is seen on Tees Valley and Northern Trans-Pennine. Part 1 is most relevant for the game at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  4. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

Doesn't look like we are getting that American signal tutorial as there has been no mention of it. I have stopped playing Boston and LIRR as I want to play it with the safety systems on, but have no clue what I am doing, and cant find anything on YouTube that explains it all.

I have to admit that I am getting tired of DTGs bias towards German stuff (we have now had two German safety system tutorials, and nothing on any other country)...I like playing German routes with safety systems, but I would like to do the same on other routes.

5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I think the reason why DTG are focusing on explaining German signalling and safety systems so much is because of the complexity of PZB. It cannot be easily explained in a couple sentences like AWS or DVD can. There is an innate challenge to driving with German safety systems on because the driver must be intimately familiar with how the system works and how German signalling works (all the various types of signals, mind you). The challenge of using the Alerter on American routes is being able to stay awake long enough to acknowledge it. this is a joke

I do see your point, however. ACSES and ATC are complex in-cab signalling systems which are barely covered by the game at all. Fortunately, I believe Brandon Phelan (the guy who created most of the Boston–Providence route) is currently working on a comprehensive guide for ACSES. Other systems like TVM-430 and KVB are covered in the appropriate manuals, and while the explanation for KVB does not go into great detail, it does give you all you need to know for operating the short stretches of track in which it is in effect.

I do not think other systems, like vigilance systems (Alerter, DVD, or Sifa) or AWS, require dedicated video tutorials as they are rather simple.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Its on TS1 rather than TSW but still the signals work the same. An excellent guide from PTG Rail

7. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

I recommend looking into the manuals for the routes in the game. They contain a lot of information about signals and what they mean et.c, often related to the specific route the manual is for.
    Example is the Northern Trans-Pennine route where the manual contains a lot of UK rail signs. https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/...ht_Pack_Driver's_Manual_-_EN.pdf?t=1577184860
    All manuals are available on the Dovetail site here, as well as via Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yup. I used the Rapid transit manual to learn PZB. Shame not all DLCs come with a manual though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with doing a tutorial on US signaling is that there is no one "US signaling." In fact, after mergers even a single RR may have multiple systems in use (CSX has three). So Peninsula Corridor, Sand Patch and NEC (not to mention LIRR) are all different and would each require their own tutorial.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Must admit I am rather confused by the Boston Line signalling. Currently spending a bit of time on the route pushing through Journey Mode. The line has a mix of fixed signals and also what appear to be balises set in the track. The speed shown on the ATC often conflicts with that on the HUD, the track speed is often lower. Does the indicated speed on the ATC apply immediately and if not how long do you have to reduce speed? When I enabled the actual safety system, started getting spurious SPADs and the alerter seems to go off even when the train is stationary?

It’s quite a good route and a chance to get a bit of diesel thrash when you’re not sat in the rather dull cab car, but we really need some insight into that signalling system.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

Although the current game implementation is borked, if the system is working think of it as being akin to, in Germany, the intersection of fixed speed limits on the one hand and the combination of Zs(3)s and PZB signaled limits on the other. In other words, the lower of the two speeds applies, since the traffic-imposed signal limit (ACS) may well be less than line speed (ACSES).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I've been doing Bill, the problem being if you reduce speed immediately as "Indusi" would require it becomes impossible to keep time.

13. solicitr

That's a function of the system in the game NEC route being completely screwed up.

14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

That's a good suggestion as far as it goes -- or went, since DTG became too lazy and uncaring to produce manuals some time ago.

• Like Like x 1