Is Ps5 Worth The Money

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richard cooper, Nov 4, 2021.

1. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I have tried getting a PS5, mainly to play TSW2. My other games run fine on my ps4 pro. Reading recent posts about dlc and saving of files on PS5, a simple question. Is it worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's worth it to just play the PS4 version on it alone for the increased framerate which is very noticeable.

I've not tried the PS5 version of the game yet.

I came from the PS4pro to the PS5 and the framerate jump was great. Also you can't hear the PS5 while the PS4pro was like hairdryer playing TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

No, in my opinion it's not worth the hassle of trying to get a PS5 just to play TSW2. There are too many issues on that platform at the moment. I would wait and see when and if they solve the DLC 64Gb limit (as it would practically kill the game on the platform if they don't) and the trophies problem. If there are other games you want to play on it then that's a different story.

But just for TSW2 there are too many reports of stuttering and crashing on PS5 for me to recommend wasting time and effort chasing one when they are so hard to find right now. Plus £449 is a lot of money.

You also can't take your progress, liveries and scenarios with you to PS5 which for me is a big issue.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd say Yes. I came from a PS4 Pro to PS5 and have only played the PS5 version of TSW2 on it. Other games (which actually take advantage of the PS5 features in a way that TSW2 does not) are generally slicker, graphically superior and more enjoyable too.

TSW2 is a lot slicker in 4K than the Pro was, a nicer experience overall (BML crashes excepted - hopefully sorted soon) and, as mentioned above, the machine is also significantly quieter. If you don't have every DLC (or if you're not one of those people who is desperate to have all of their content installed regardless of how infrequently it's likely to get used), then the storage issue won't be a problem so I'd advise to go for it. No point waiting for the xmas rush, and I can't see there being any Black Friday savings. My Pro is still on the desk next to the PS5 and it's barely even been switched on since the new arrival.

Reports? So are you recommending 'no' when you're not actually using a PS5?

Also, £449 is quite a lot of money, but £359 for a digital edition is significantly less money (if you don't need the drive) and, unlike the XBoxes, there's no power difference between versions. They're also not really all that hard to pick up if you're willing to put in a small amount of time and effort. The ever-growing number of PS5 owners on here is testament to that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

Kinda depends how avid a gamer you are. If you are one of those people who cannot live without the option to machine gun zombies in Call Of Duty in 4K at 60fps then you probably need a PS5 right now.

A lot of people (myself included) are quite happy to stay with the PS4 for a while longer till the PS5 is released in the next version with a larger SSD as standard because game sizes are constantly increasing. I have no plans to get a PS5 for at least 12 - 18 months and will certaintly NOT get one just to run TSW2 when all my other titles run fine on the PS4.

TSW2 came out on the PS4 so should be able to run on it. When TSW3 comes out, DTG has the right to say that it should be run on a PS5.

In a recent stream Sam said that sales are spread evenly between PC, PS and Xbox which means that 66% of users are on consoles. He also stated that only 10% of console users are on next-gen hardware so around 60% of all users of TSW2 are still on older consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

If you only want a PS5 to play TSW2 then no, it isn't worth upgrading right now.
    There's an issue currently with PS5 DLC limit of 64GB so if you own every single route and loco, you'll be missing some unless you uninstall some DLC to get the add-ons to under the limit.

Whilst it's nice having 4K and 60fps on most routes, there are still areas where the frame rate really drops and the game also stutters briefly.

Also, the PS5 only has around 680GB useable SSD space and Sony only recently activated the expansion slot so you can add more SSD space. However, these expansions are expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

No this game is not worth a PS5, from a PS5 I would expect the scenery and everything else to be much nicer. I would also expect from a PS5 not to see any stutter on this game. I'm also waiting for a PS5 but I'm also waiting for games that really make it worth to have a PS5.

Those mentioning 4k as a PS5 feature: PS4 Pro plays this game in 4K

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

You are very quick to jump on other forum members who hold a different view aren't you? Here is a quote from well know user Mat_Jam_Ca:

Satisfied?

I take exception to this. I have spent the last 6 months signed up to the PS5 stock checker twitter account and everytime I get a notification I am either stuck in a queue or they are sold out. I have never in those 6 months had the opportunity to buy one apart from bundles for £600+ with things I don't want. I have a full time job and don't have the time to drive around Argos's or stay up until 4am for a drop.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Some great advice in the comments here.

And of course you are already aware of the DLC grief and the lack of game save transfer option..

just to add.. the is it worth it comment in value terms, it’s your money ;) grumpy generic comment aside…

If you have the opportunity to get one. Snap it up.

I ended up bagging mine as an overpriced bundle..sold what I didn’t need or want and pleased with the console :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

For me it is definitely worth it.
    Despite the last known issues, the experience with TSW on ps5 is much smoother in general, load times are much lower, more layers available on some routes, better textures...
    And I play mostly TSW too but there are also free 60fps upgrade patches for other ps4 games, right now I'm playing The Division 2 and it's amazing to enjoy it with this frame rate.

And you will have a machine meant for the next few years. If ps4 is holding up in homes it's because of the pandemic and the manufacturing and distribution problems because if we were in a business as usual situation, many more gamers would have abandoned their 2013 hardware.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

Yes, the game looks and runs better than the ps4 and ps4 pro version. Well worth the upgrade, it is a much nicer experience.

• Like Like x 2
  12. antwerpcentral

PS4 pro launched end of 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I made the upgrade to PS5 way back in July, and TSW2 is pretty much all I ever have time to play.
    Was it worth making the switch? I mean everyone values this stuff differently but I had the money to blow and TSW2 is my go to for entertainment after work, so it's important to me to get the best experience that I could reasonably achieve. And my old PS4 just didn't seem capable of running the game well at all; scenery was visually terrible on my system.
    And I do enjoy the PS5 experience a lot more. The layers and the graphics make for a nice upgrade. But I totally understand the pov of other people who might not put a whole lot of stock into that.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Factor41

Not jumping, just thought it might provide more useful feedback if people who had actual experience of using a PS5 responded. You're perfectly welcome to have your opinion based entirely on other people's opinion, but in my opinion, it would be more useful to the OP to hear from "no" voters who had bought a PS5, played the PS5 version of TSW2 and felt like they'd wasted their money, rather than people who may be a just a little bitter that they can't get hold of one despite trying really hard for 6 months...

Agreed - I definitely wouldn't recommend six months of intensive effort, 4am shopping or a £600+ bundle to get a PS5.

My 10am, at-work purchase, after I'd left a background browser window open on the Game website queue for 20 mins, on my second real try could have swayed my 'Yes' answer. I guess I was really lucky. And have many lucky friends. YMMV. ;)

TSW2 4K performance on PS5 is a huge improvement over 4K performance on PS4 Pro.

• Like Like x 3
  15. james.caton

james.caton Member

I've upgraded to a PS5 and I can say my PS4 Pro has not been switched on since.

• Like Like x 2
  16. antwerpcentral

4K = 4K

it doesn't magically become 8k on PS5. This game also doesn't magically get HDR on PS5, something even "old hardware" like the PS4 Pro supports. Advising someone to upgrade to PS5 for this game is in my opinion ridiculous.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

chuckle chuckle, no one is advising the OP it’s essential. We are sharing advice and opinions here :)

4k low vs 4K ultra was the point Factor41 was getting at. I think…

the game is a tad brighter with autoHDR but the game isn’t true HDR which no one is getting.
    Wait no one even brought HDR to the table? What’s your point?

18. Factor41

Point being it's a lot smoother when running in 4K on a significantly faster machine. I don't feel like I should need to explain that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. antwerpcentral

But not smooth enough for how a PS5 should perform. This is a train game, this should run smooth even on PS4 Pro but it doesn't on both. This game is not even optimised for PS4 Pro and it is not for PS5 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

When I owned a PS4 I played Train Simulator on a PC as that was the only option, there were no console versions back then. Eventually having been a gamer on PS2, PS3 and PS4 I got a bit jaded with the PlayStation ecosystem and sold my PS4. And I bought an Xbox One. Which was a hideous thing in many respects, but realistically because I’d been in the PlayStation world for too long to adapt (I’m an older gamer)

While I owned the Xbox, Train Sim for consoles launched and I bought into it all over again, lots of DLC. But I came to loathe Xbox and so when the PS5 launched, I knew I had to jump back. I finally managed to snag one using the Hot Stock app a couple of months back

Once again I have purchased a load of DLC, I’m probably Dovetail’s best customer across PC, Xbox and PS5. But I truly love the PS5 and especially how quickly Train Sim loads on it, it’s like night and day compared to the Xbox One. Of course we have ongoing issues with the various console versions of TS, so it’s hard to do a direct comparison

As for whether it’s “worth the money” that really depends on the individual, and among many considerations will be financial. If you can afford to upgrade then it may make sense, not just for this title but for everything you play. It’s the future, the next generation and it’s faster, and over time many will make the switch, as they did from the PS3 to the PS4, and from 2 to 3 before that…. Eventually the PS4 will be left behind. It’s demise has been slowed by the shortages in the micro chip supply chain, and the inevitable shortages in PS5 inventory. These will pass in time

So for me it was worth it, but I changed back to PlayStation from Xbox in the process. It’s a very personal matter that we can only answer truthfully for ourselves.

I do also have a Steam Deck reserved, so my Train Sim life may yet go full circle back to PC which for me has the best routes, locos and a ton of third party content

• Like Like x 3
  21. Factor41

Is TSW2 the slickest and finest gaming experience on PS5? No.

Is TSW2 on PS5 better than PS4 Pro? Undoubtedly yes.

Do I in any way regret my purchase? No.

Will I be using my PS5 for other games? Undoubtedly yes.

Do with all of that what you will.

• Like Like x 2
  22. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

There are quite a few issues with the PS5 version of the game right now, such as the add-on size limit. Additionally, transferring progress from PS4 to PS5 is currently not possible, but that is actively being worked on.

I would suggest continuing to play the PS4 version of the game on PS5 until a progress transfer to the next gen version is possible. By then, I reckon the other issues with the PS5 version will be fixed as well. Sure, you may be missing out on a few layers on 2-3 routes, but the overall experience will probably be much better. My best friend is doing exactly what I described (running the old gen version on PS5) and is having a great time!

• Like Like x 1
  23. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

I'm happy with the PS5 purchase. It's fast, and so much quieter than my PS4. Games have been running and looking fantastic in 4k and some games using ray tracing are amazing. One thing I would really look forward to in the future is to see Train Sim World in Unreal 5 where it looks photorealistic and passengers actually look like real passengers. That will be some time away though. The only dissapointment is the Sony and DTG issue with DLC and trophies. Positive side is I have saved some money since now holding off purchasing anymore DLC until it's fixed. Plus at the moment have plenty of routes and locos to play anyway.
    Overall the speed and quality of the PS5 version of TSW2 has been great though.

• Like Like x 2
  24. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

PS5. DLC limit. Can’t transfer progress over from PS4. Still stutters apparently. Hard to purchase unless your lucky or buy as part of a very expensive bundle??? Need a 4K or whatever tv to really benefit from it’s improved graphics. Horrible design!

PS4. Good looking design and still capable of playing TSW2 albeit with less layers sometimes and not quite as good graphics but still more than good enough to enjoy this game and performs smooth enough as well for most people. if you don’t care about having the latest and greatest. Stick with PS4 until PS5 is more easily available and drops in price then upgrade.

Just my two pence worth. Take it or leave it. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  25. Factor41

I quite like the design. It is bloody huge, though, even by PS4 Pro standards! Definitely prefer it the X-brick.

Would agree with the 4K telly point - you (OP) may already have one if you're on a Pro, but worth factoring one in to your budget if you don't. Switching up to 4K was one of the best things about the jump from TSW2020 to TSW2 and it feels like there's a graphical improvement again in terms of anti-aliasing or something on the PS5, so overhead lines and fine details have less of that glittering effect. I might need to fire up the Pro again to get a direct, like-for-like comparison - it's only been on a couple of times for The Crew 2 since I bought the PS5.

26. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

As I've said elsewhere I won't jump to a PS5 until at least next year, TSW doesn't justify enough in its own right for me to do so now.
    Couple that to being limited by what DLC you can use which is a major kicker and the supply issue (which I freely admit is far better than it was and you can actually get them) and I just can't justify £400+ on what's essentially a large ornament.
    I totally get the point that it's better in so many ways but TSW as a standalone headline title! No way.
    I'll wait for something like Gran Turismo then spend my cash.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Factor41

Supply issues might become an issue again as April approaches - may be worth getting in before then... assuming it actually releases in April!

28. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

GT7 releases 4th March 2022 and GTA V: Expanded and Enhanced a few weeks later.

I'd say the supply issue is going to be mad from now until February as people want them for Christmas presents and want to spend their Christmas money.

• Like Like x 3
  29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So the general advice from those who have a PS5 is get one and the advice from those who don’t is don’t. That should answer the question. I’ll throw another yes in and keeping the PS4 Pro always gives you a backup for any PS5 only issues that may be ongoing. You’ll probably never use TSW2 on the PS4 Pro after playing it on PS5 though.

The PS5 has all the content with all the layers, longer scenery draw distances and shadow draw distances, higher resolution textures and quicker load times. It’s just better all round. Stuttering may happen but it’s not as bad as PS4 and crashes happen on all the consoles currently. The DLC limit is a pain in the neck but that issue will likely be sorted soon and as long as your internet connection is okay, downloading DLC now and then won’t be an issue. If you have a lot of DLC then it becomes a bigger issue.

• Like Like x 4
  30. antwerpcentral

The only real advantage of the PS5 over PS4 Pro today isn't mentioned at all: Power consumption :D

• Like Like x 1
  31. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

The PS5 is much better, I've got two of them, one at home in the UK and one here in Switzerland.

Better of course except for the dlc limit and trophy issues....

• Like Like x 1
  32. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Jeeez no wonder we can’t get them!
    ;)

• Like Like x 4
  33. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

If you have the money I'd say go for it. I seem to be the only TSW2 player on PS5 to have had no issues whatsoever (apart from the issues TSW2 already has) . The game looks and runs incredibly well. I can't imagine going back to the PS4.

I wouldn't get it solely for a better version of TSW2 mind you. I got it mainly so I could play the new Ratchet and Clank game, as well as improved versions of Wreckfest and Marvel's Spider-Man. A better version of TSW2 was certainly a factor in making the decision to purchase one, although I still probably would have bought one anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Factor41

Not sure if this is a new thing, but I've just had an email about buying consoles direct from Sony at https://direct.playstation.com/en-gb/hardware/ps5

They're are – predictably – showing out of stock at the moment, but I guess if anyone's going to be able to get decent quantities of stock in, it'll be the official site, so one to keep an eye on (along with the normal stock monitoring channels). :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a new thing Factor41
    Sony are now going to start selling consoles and accessories direct to the consumer in the UK/EU and other countries will follow. It has been running in the US for a little while now.
    MS have been selling consoles and accessories through their own sites for years now so it's about time Sony followed suit.
    Hopefully this will cut down on scalping as you'll have to be registered to apply for one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

My personal experience on how i got a ps5 and if I think it's worth it.
    How i managed to bag a PS5?
    Like a lot of people here i was signed upto a few stock checker sites and for months got the notifications only to find they had no stock left.
    For sheer dumb luck, I was on my way back to bed after putting my mum back to bed about 20 past 4 in the morning sand on the off chance decided to look at the Argos website. Wahoo they were in stock. I managed to bag one and it got delivered. That weekend I bought my mum some chocolates and flowers as a thank you, because if she hadn't woken me up I would not have got one.

Do I think its worth getting a PS5?
    Yes and no.
    For playing TSW2 PS5 version No. Not even for the PS4 version on the PS5 (I have both installed). The increased frame frame and for the PS5 only the extra layers are a great addition to some of the routes but its not worth it if you are just going to buy that. I also bought the PS5 for ...... wait for it Gran Turismo 7 ask me in March whether I think the PS5 is worth it, then I just may change my mind. Also bear in mind that I also have a 4tb external drive that has about 10+ PS4 titles on it that I play on the PS4. I personally think it will be a few more moths yet (possibly, this time next year, where the PS5 will come into its own).

Just my two cents worth .

Regards
    Hentis

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Has anybody had to do any tweaks to their settings in TSW when using it on PS5 with a 4k monitor? Either to the settings in TSW or in your tv/monitor settings?

I've just tried doing a Seaford - Brighton service on a sunny clear day and there is a weird almost trippy effect on the skyline where I can see lots of lines moving across the sky that was never the case on PS4. The sun looks like it's spinning round as well. I also notice that trees seem to really flicker continually as I'm driving. I realise this sounds a bit bonkers and I might try and get a picture to illustrate this better.

So far I agree with what's been said about the differences between using it on PS4 and PS5. Loading times are great ands there is a definite crispness and extra clearness on looking out of the cab compared to PS4.

38. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Seems like changing the 4K transfer rate in PS5 settings to -2 has fixed this

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which amount of "money?" The notional list price, or what you would actually have to pay to get one?

40. Factor41

I paid £360 for a digital edition. Easily worth that amount of money. :)

41. JustAVaporeon

JustAVaporeon Active Member

The PS5 is absolutely worth the money. However, because of the 64GB limit with TSW2 on the PS5, I'd be weary. Recommend the digital one a lot more

42. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I’d definitely say it is . It gives access to games only on next gen consoles , improved graphics and performance , I could go on for hours . I managed to get a series x the other day , hopefully that’ll be worth the money

• Like Like x 1
  43. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

This is all under the assumption that you can get your hands on a PS5, and not pay ridiculous scalper prices. No doubt, by the time the supply issues are fixed (into the new year), it'll be worth the money moreso, with a price drop. I'd like to get a PS5, but I am certainly not going to pay some scalping p.o.s, who paid £450 (or thereabouts) and is expecting twice that. No, I can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Bad news for some folk today as Sony has announced they have reduced production of the PS5 due to the global shortage of materials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Coastway trainspotter

Enough Ps5’s were being produced anyway so that makes sense

46. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I dunno if you’re serious or a wind-up

• Like Like x 1
  47. Coastway trainspotter

It was just a joke :)

• Like Like x 2
  48. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Can't say that comes as a surprise, to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  49. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

In the short term my Answer would be no but in the long term yes in time it will how long remains unknown.

And have every reason to believe that when the next Gen consoles finally establish themselves Bigger & better routes will be introduce into TWS even if it means making TWS 3 as a next gen only title.
    But at the moment DTG still has the legacy of the fiasco that happened in the last Quarter of 2021 to resolve which may take some time the shortage of PS5 is still going to be a problem way into 2023 according to Sony so don,t expect anything to soon but there is build for it to happen

• Like Like x 2
  50. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Oh so thats is why i was not abele to get 1:|
    (joke)