PC West Cornwall Local: Penzance - St. Austell & St Ives - The Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2021.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well the first error spotted in the Menu screen.
    All the Down Inter City trains have 1Axx headcodes. these should either be 1Cxx for internal WR services or 1Vxx for inter regional. "A" headcodes are in the Up direction or in the case of inter regional would be "M", "E" or "S".

2. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Two scenarios of fact but not finished. We can't close the doors at the end.
    Lamentable

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yup, massively irritating limitation limitation in the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

Lumberjack line! Check out those tree stumps spammed by the lineside between St Austell and Truro. And yes, the route must be sponsored by Woodland Scenics given the amount of trees everywhere. Give these guys the contract to do the Panama Railway!
    On a more serious note I enabled AWS on the Class 47 and so far haven't had any audible or visual indications...
    Oh and the 150's I've passed, the exhaust looks more like steam.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Try 2+4 :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

As an amateur I’d have to say to me the sound isn’t so bad (coming at it from a I’ve never driven one seat). The rev up, now I picked up something on a rivet preview. They instantly started off in notch 4 which revs the engine up. I think this is their cheap workaround rather than the train reviving up to overcome initial inertia.

Penzance the npcs have an ability to walk through a pis display. pis is definitely needed (preferably not a year down the line)

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

West of Penwithers Junction, we seem to have dispensed with the lineside fencing too.

Edit: I'll try and refrain from further "live" reporting and post a synopsis later on. But my impression of the route so far is very amateurish, looks like MSTS except the Plymouth to Penzance freeware route (which includes all the branches and the closed section from Newquay to Chacewater) is actually better, especially in Open Rails.

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And after BML one would have thought future releases would get this right!

• Like Like x 2
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, you have to have both NTP and the Heavy Freight Pack installed to unlock those layers.

11. spicemaster

spicemaster Member

It's so buggy, I actually requested a refund. I've never refunded anything on steam in my life. It really is utterly poor.

• Like Like x 3
  12. spicemaster

spicemaster Member

railroads online has less bugs.

edit: and steam engines

• Like Like x 2
  13. OldVern

The only reason I might keep it is that the gradients are quite good for a bit of thrash. But it is really am amateur effort and if you are able to drive the freeware MSTS Cornish route in Open Rails that is brilliant. Really DTG and Rivet need to hold a thorough inquest into tjis debacle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reviews. You've saved me 35 bucks.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  15. spicemaster

spicemaster Member

don't press the door open buttons in the cab and expect to be able to close them again either...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jeannot41

I asked for the refund.

• Like Like x 3
  17. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Epic Store user here: just bought it this afternoon, upon launching the game, Epic installed something that's called DLC18. The route doesn't even show up in-game. Any ideas what to do? Verified all files, no luck...

18. Jeannot41

Lighting is non-existent in the stations.
    In addition, I like to drive in the exterior view, with the pavement arrowed. Is there, it is not possible to change the inner view.
    So ugly. No regrets to have deleted it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Is anyone here able to confirm if the included 37 is usable on Tees Valley (in timetable)?

• Like Like x 1
  20. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

I'v request a refund to, don't know if I'll get one as I'v spent 3-4 hours on it.

21. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

You'd need the Northern Trans-Pennine and Heavy Freight Pack Add-ons installed to see the Class 47 services.

22. malakhit

malakhit Member

Yes, it's considered a variant of the existing one rather than a new loco. It's got an updated model and different livery of course but it otherwise functions identically. It also seems that the 37 is now available in the livery editor; I don't think it was before, but this now means we can start putting some more liveries on the tractor.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Rubbish to say the least.
    The 150/2 has like ‘instant torque’ and starts off the line pretty quick from a stand which is unrealistic. No wait as it build up of revs etc, just acts like the revs are there straight off the mark!

So yeah, they’re quite off to say the least.

• Like Like x 3
  24. malakhit

malakhit Member

I've got to say that I'm reasonably happy with it so far. Perhaps I am too new to notice what's missing/broken, but I'm not displeased with the amount of money spent for what I've received.

I've not noticed too many bugs; some of the lighting can be a bit suspect at times, and I saw at least one text error in a texture at one of the stations. Not had any issues with the 150/2 though, managed to complete a timetable run end-to-end without issue. I will say that there's not a lot of traffic on the line; in the entire run, other than a couple of 37s/08s in sidings, I saw two other trains come past, and I've got all the DLC that grants additional layers. Sound-wise it seems to be mostly okay; I can't say I've ever heard a 150 in real life, only 158s/159s. It does accelerate a little faster than I'd expect, but it's not as if it's behaving like a Top Fuel dragster.

Overall, pretty pleased, and I'm always happy to support more UK routes.

• Like Like x 8
  25. chieflongshin

I played the first service of Chapter 3. 1A84 - This is feedback

AREAS OF POTENTIAL IMPROVEMENT
    • NPC walking path goes through the PIS screen
    • Doors didn't close at Penzance the first time.
    • 1 mile approx from St Erth heading from Penzance shrubs were growing out the ground as you approach.
    • Penzance - train coming in to station with tail lights on and driver at wrong end.
    • 9.8 miles from Redruth grass growing out of ground as you approach it.
    • Climb up to Red Ruth I'm not convinced can be done on schedule. Notch 7 is beaten by that hill :)
    • There's an annoying shadow drawing in front of the train all the time. I've tried to circle, not sure if this is just a sun position thing.
    • 5.4 miles from Truro there is a dual carriageway, not a single car on it.
    • Horn really quiet with windows up
    • St Austell "welcome to penzance posters" at it - curse of the single collectible poster design strikes again.
    Summary

I actually didn't mind the route, there's areas lacking in detail a bit and I know the cornish folk that know the line will pick up far more than I will. I didn't mind the train too much, there's nice reflections on the window beside the desk. I noticed the reflections on the ice cream stands too. It's not a busy route but I didn't mind it. St Austell station looks really nice.

I have realised though that all three rivet routes are single, double track ones with minimal signalling. I guess this is down to studio size. 40 miles and about 58 mins to do it. I don't think they did too bad to be fair. It was massively the right call to bring in other stock as this would have been dire for traffic. In this service a class 08 pulled into penzance, I saw two 150s , couple of static 37s along the route and a 47 (i think) pulling a passenger train.

As a route this has a feel similar to WSR - it's a potter along and enjoy the sun route.

Hope this helps someone.

Screenshot (8).png Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (9).jpg

• Like Like x 9
  26. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I bought the route based on the announced layers ( and the 10% discount ), but haven't driven it yet.
    Judging by the comments on the Class 150, I'll be driving the Class 101 as much as possible instead. That little gem will be the saving grace of the route for me.

• Like Like x 2
  27. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

For the first time I found myself turning off this evenings stream mid flow.
    I was bored.
    There was no problem with the 150, looked good and I'm not that fussed about authentic sound, but the scenery was tedious in the extreme.
    I like trees, but, but never knew Cornwall was wall to wall forest?

I like the idea of adding loco layers, but it seems pointless when there's only one an hour.
    Sad really as I would have bought it.

• Like Like x 2
  28. townsend_simon

townsend_simon New Member

The 150 wasnt as bad as i thought it would be in the sound department......but ive found 2 issues....1 the AWS doesent seem to clear...in that sunflower stays showing...and 2 ive had an issue where i cant close the doors at truro...

29. chieflongshin

I personally would take a stab that there is a lot of trees so there is not a lot of talk about bad distant scenery. I also thought there was a lot but I don't know if its accurate or not to feed back on it.

• Like Like x 2
  30. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Regarding the sounds I invite you to go onto YouTube
    Type in class 150 complication gwr youll notice the difference you don't even need to be a train aficionado just watch the video a few times of that complication also type in ap class 150 that came out 5 years ago for ts it's incredible you'll see why the traction sound is so and so or as they say in Greece etsi ki etsi

• Like Like x 2
  31. OldVern

I think the AWS may be a route problem. It doesn't seem to be working on the 47 either. And the advance speed restriction yellow triangle signs seem not to have any associated AWS magnets, not the ones I have encountered so far. I'm about to finish my main line run and see if I can get a quick look at the 150 but will probably go over the 2 hour refund cut off. Oh well, as I mused earlier if nothing else treat it as a freeware standard route with decent gradients to give the locos some thrash. Wish they had layered in the Class 52, this is all so surreal they might just as well have done.

32. spicemaster

spicemaster Member

This is what a 150 should sound like.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, watching the stream it seems the 150 has improved somewhat and nice to see changes to the timetable to stop all the reds at every platform. The sounds aren't fantastic (have they added the brake squeal sound when stopping or has it always been there?), it's certainly missing the sound of the brakes when slowing at speed and I'd question the run sounds, but they're not as bad as some people make them out to be IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  34. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

This is why I still sim in TS 2021 aswell you can have best visuals in the world but for me without that incredible audio immersion / physics ,( same reason I prefer xplane 11 to mfs 2020); before that I had fsx I run the tsw2 166 dmu and with that soundpack mod it sounds just like the real thing music to my ears , the fact that the physics connect to gearbox , engine , oil fluid simulation aren't right this DMU won't to be able to fixed with a sound mod and it will be alot work to out right the chances are very slim

35. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I am disappointed having bought the route that the St. Ives line has been very poorly replicated with loads of glaring omissions, which I have pointed out to Rivet. I hope they continue to work on their attention to detail and make the route look as impressive as it does in real life. I hope there is an update in due course as, as it stands it is very poor in comparison to other routes, like Cathcart, London Commuter, East Coastway etc., etc., and comes nowhere near their standard. I know the route well and it just isn’t right.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

So I’m quite uncertain after playing for quite a few hours, straight after work (which funny enough involves dealing with 150/2s).

150/2:

First off, the model is great! Minor issues here and there such as the reverser turning the incorrect way. But overall, it’s fantastic (this is where Rivet shine, in vehicle design/modelling).

When it comes to physics and sounds, it seems like it’s pretty much unchanged from the initial previews (no suprise);

The physics are poor when it comes to acceleration. There’s no real ‘simulation’ of the way the 150 engine seems to work, no wait as the engine builds up revs before accelerating. Instead the unit mite as well be a Tesla, with it accelerating off the line instantly! Does not feel right one bit!

Also, only being able to gain a max of notch 2 power when starting, in step 1 brake? No clue what that’s about. Also there seems to be quite ‘stiff’ throttle/brake that feels like you have to hold down the respective key on the keyboard for it actually to do something!

And there’s been much debate over the sounds. Personally still believe they need a re-look; some bits are alright, while some bits are questionable;

• The internal cab sounds can sometimes seem like the engine is at full power, when idling.
    • The flange(?) sounds seem are taken from wagon sounds such as ECW/GWE. Quite off putting and doesn’t sound like flange on this unit.
    • Joint sounds are very quiet.
    • Audio for Shutting down the unit (turning off the engines) is very distorted.
    • No real variation in engine audio as the unit accelerates.
    • Horn sounds way too quiet in the cab.

That’s some of the audio ‘issues’ I’ve heard so far. But again, look at the AP 150/2 video. That’s ultimately what I would like to expect this version to somewhat perform & sound like.

Route Itself:
    I’m actually quite happy with how the route looks. No real problems at all. Definitely a big step up compared to other Rivet releases.

I wish PIS was included (I’m assuming it’ll be a later addition or a preservation crew job?).

Overall so far, I’m enjoying it. It’s just the lack of a ‘polished’ 150/2 that’s ruining the immersion & enjoyment for me currently; although hope Rivet listen and act on the feedback regarding the sounds. It could ultimately be a better product.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  37. malakhit

malakhit Member

Okay yeah, it does sound somewhat different to the in-game representation (though to my untrained ears, not a million miles away), and the Armstrong Powerhouse version definitely seems to be very close to reality.

I also think the smoke coming from it is weird - it looks more like a steam train than I'd have expected!
    Untitled.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  38. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Yeah DMUs like 150 , 153 ,156 create a good amount of smoke but that looks like steam

39. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

I have decided to keep the route in the end. I'v been making an HST scenario, pictures attached.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  40. OldVern

I had the smoke or rather steam from the 150 as the first item on my list. Anyhow in no particular order my further observations...
    150 Exhaust looks like steam.
    Trees! Stumps! Looks like the defences around Winterfell.
    No AWS working on main line Down. No AWS magnets for speed warning signs.
    Lineside fencing absent in many places.
    Down stop marker at Redruth is at least 160 yards off the platform leaves train off platform at front with plenty of space behind. Same at Camborne.
    Suspect gradients - Truro 1.7% starts halfway down platform. Camborne 1.8% falling through station (my eyes are too tired this time of night to check the Ian Allan profile book).
    Signal protecting entrance to single line on Down at Long Rock is beyond the points on the single line section.

As regards the 150 sound and physics, well it doesn't look like much has been done to assuage the earlier criticisms. It just sounds and feels wrong. If they added brake squeal then why not the eponymous rub too.

I am still in two minds whether or not to refund this or not. Part of me wants to see whether a concerted effort is made to fix things, the other half doesn't think DTG and Rivet should get away with putting out this rubbish. Likewise if you close your eyes and treat it as a MSTS level test track that vaguely resembles Cornwall, then it has it's uses. OTOH there is a perfectly good freeware route for MSTS/Open Rails that covers all of this route and much more besides. I think I would like to hear what DTG's intentions are and that this was put out as "early access" while all the faults are snagged and sorted.

• Like Like x 4
  41. chieflongshin

Just watching the stream. I do love how Sam is educating Jasper not to BS about what can be fixed or not fixed. In a polite way of course :D

• Like Like x 2
  42. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Yeah that's was my feeling too I'm not buying it j was only wanting for class 150 not saying rivet haven't gave it thier all but for me in this state it's immersion breaking , also having been spolied with incredible 150/2 if had in TS for a good few years Also been upclose and ridden many 150s since a child this feels like a big downgrade .If these can be fixed which alot of work , problem solving in simgraph and changes its probably going to be couple if months and that's big if ,at the end if your not happy and donit feel like the immersion with 150 is there and other issues ,I would get a refund but that's just me I'm a train enthusiast , you can always buy it again if anything changes

• Like Like x 1
  43. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

This what the exhaust smoke is supposed to look like

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  44. Subway#2400

Subway#2400 Active Member

Working everyday with DMUs fitted with VOITH transmissions, I find the physics to be unrealistic, especially when starting and accelerating the train ! Shame, I really was expecting this DLC ...

• Like Like x 3
  45. malakhit

malakhit Member

Having done a bit more reading, I can see what you mean. Hopefully Rivet rework the way this drives. I'm not bitterly disappointed with it, but they definitely could have done more with it, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  46. 1003523721

1003523721 Member

I am not content with sound and weary of the bugs. I requested a refund just now. Maybe I should be more cautious about buying 3rd party DLC

• Like Like x 4
  47. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I like the route so far with its variety on layers.

Also the rolling stock is solid. The only big down for me is the wrong physics of the 150 (feels like an electrostar). But beside from that im glad to have another route in the era of tvl.

Would be nice if rivet would fix the 150, but i guess its going the same road as the br 204. Damn why not double & tripple check what the simmugraphed behaviour is compared to the real one. There is plenty of videos, people and information. This is essential!

For me the west cornwall is a positive release overall for what i got. Since the extra layers a day one purchais, which i dont regret.

Im sure there are plenty of fans only waited for the cl150. Stuff like wrong physics just shouldnt happen. Im not saying rivet is lazy, but the fact the community has to realize in a preview stream that the physics of a finished and entirely new built train is wrong speaks just for it self...
    There is so much details in tsw 2, and things like that would be "a small effort" to get it right in relation to a full immersion braker, which it is now kinda

Its an entire chain begins with less sales, difficult to fix and for sure an other more accurate 150 isnt going to be developed anytime soon (ever).

• Like Like x 2
  48. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I was originally planning on buying the route, but not so sure about that anymore. I don’t even mind the issues with the 150 since I’ve unfortunately never had the opportunity to ride it in person. To be honest, I’m not very knowledgeable about trains at all, just want to have a good time. And that’s where my problem comes in: I care more about the general atmosphere, and to be honest, it looked quite bland in the stream. The colors were muted and there was just exactly the same forest everywhere. Level of detail outside of stations was also a bit disappointing. The sea next to the St. Ives branch looked quite nice, but the stations were bleak and lifeless. As far as I know, there’s also not a nice area you can walk around in (like the lakes on IOW and Arosa) this time around. It just seems like the last bit of love/personality Rivet usually give their routes is missing here.

• Like Like x 5
  49. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Yeah it has a copy & paste look to it.

• Like Like x 2
  50. OldVern

One other small detail about the 150. Have a feeling the seat moquette is wrong for the period. At that point in time they were running in the original 2 + 3 configuration and the seat fabric was a sort of horizontal striped brown/orange pattern. Mottled blue moquette did not arrive until after privatisation when FGW gave their units a makeover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1