What Do The Numbers In The Escape Menu -> Overview Tab Mean?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Vograx, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

Anyone know what they represent?

Miles or kilometer range markers?
    Minutes until you reach the location (e.g. a speed change)?

upload_2021-11-5_13-47-19.png

2. Curgenven

Curgenven New Member

Distances ahead so you can see what the speed will be in that many Miles/KM (presume it changes based on what you/that route is using)

3. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

I had a speed change ahead of me right at the 1 marker, but the distance to the actual speed change (on the HUD) was less than 1 mile / 1 kilometer (HUD showed 0.7 miles to speed reduction and the number showed 1). So not sure it's distance. Unless it's yards x 1000 or something weird like that.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is the distance and has no units because it is badly designed. It probably isn’t massively accurate as to where those numbers appear on the graph either. If you are using miles as your unit of measurement and the route is in kilometres as standard then the 0.7 miles would equate to 1 km so that might explain it. It does work better than it did at launch so that is an improvement.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

I was sort of hoping it would imply amount of signal posts / blocks. So for example you see speed reduction between 4 and 5 that means after you pass the 4th signal post / aspect you should expect a change in speed.
    Anyways, yeah it seems a bit strange and more like an arbitrary scale simply for a visual impression rather than anything based on actual scale of things.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

One reason for those differences might be that the distances shown in the HUD or on objective markers seem to be direct distances ("as the crow flies"), while the speed limit preview on the pause screen shows the distance travelled along the track (around all the bends).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The distance scale for the gradient and the speed limit aren’t the same either. You’ll notice one progresses faster than the other, they only match up near the player.
    I don’t know which one the numbers correctly relate to.

In addition if the track ahead is set to a different route for an AI service you’ll see that service’s speed graph and it will change to your upcoming speed graph once whatever junction needs setting has been set by the dispatcher.

another issue is the vertical scale sometimes changes without warning making it hard to read quickly. Sometimes the scale tops out at 250kmh when the service only runs up to 100, leaving most of the screen unused.

It’s a nice feature, but in my opinion it needs a good tightening up.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021