West Cornwall , West Somerset : Which One

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Coastway trainspotter, Nov 5, 2021.

?
  1. West Cornwall

2. West Somerset

3. Neither

4. Both if possible

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi everyone ,

I’m looking to purchase one of these , but I’m not sure . Some guidance as to which one would be greatly appreciated . Playing on Xbox one s .

Thanks

2. Bigphil1592

Bigphil1592 New Member

Depends what you're after. West Somerset is a much slower paced route with a top speed of 25mph on a heritage railway with speeds going as low as 5mph in certain sections.

Depending on the DLC you own in your British collection, there is a huge amount of locos that you can choose from.
    Personally I'm not a fan of the route. Just a personal preference that when I'm driving a Class 47, I want to be going faster than 25mph.

West Cornwall I've not played a huge amount of. Again it seems to be more of a relaxing route, certainly more chilled than the Rush Hour routes and Cathcart Circle etc.
    It's a much faster route where you'll get a lot out of the included 150 compared to West Somerset.
    Beyond that and having run a St Ives service, I've not really played enough to form a strong enough opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. david5150

david5150 Well-Known Member

I haven’t got either but my next one will be WCL. Driving at 25mph doesn’t fill me with excitement.

4. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

West Somerset is very accurate on Scenery, unfortunately Rivet haven’t done a good job on the scenery but I cannot be critical about their efforts on the 150 and 37 and the Stations.

The West Somerset has been very well replicated but not so with the Cornish route. I have been in touch with Rivet and hope that they give attention to detail to the route in a future update.

• Like Like x 1
  5. screamfan

screamfan Member

If you want to play with a really good scenery go for West somerset.

If you don't care about scenery go for WCL

• Like Like x 1
  6. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I would recommend getting WCL over WSR

I think personally both are nice in terms of scenery but I prefer not being stuck to 25mph for an hour ish

but it is also helpful to keep in mind which route is most likely to see improvements in the coming months-years

• Like Like x 1
  7. david5150

I’m tempted to get WSR at some point for the old 47 alone.

8. russianchip

russianchip Guest

If you are going to get WSR and have extra locos, other than those included in the route originally, be aware on services you’ll spawn with nothing to be seen!

WSR is nice to drive but lots of “driving over speed limit +15points” as the needle touches 25.001mph which can be frustrating and slower speed is nice for one run but I switch routes for a little faster pace.

Not purchased the other one yet so unable to comment.

9. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you like, WSR has a lot of layers from most TVL, WCL and NTP however the speed is 25 mph which can be slow sometimes but if you like amazing scenery you will probably spend most of your time looking at it! WCL also has great trainspotting/railfanning spots. WCL has faster speeds so it can be a bit more interesting but scenery is lacking and looks extremely muddy. Speeds are up to 70 mph which can be nice. In terms of layers there isn't a lot, you get the Class 150 and the 37 RF. however you need BR Heavy Freight and NTP to activate extra layers like the Class 101, 40, 47 and 08. in my opinon WSR is the better option, but it really depends on how you like your routes, slow and full of wonderful scenery or fast but lacking scenery. your choice not ours

10. ade4472

ade4472 Member

WSR is laborious to drive. The gala and heritage carriages etc make for a nice change but it’s very bland as routes go (interaction). WCL is faster paced and needs more, though not much, concentration and attention to detail. Personally I feel WSR was the one dlc I could have missed out getting as it doesn’t offer much. Hopefully when the spirit of steam launches it will be on WSR as the slower speeds will give you better chance at mastering the controls.

• Like Like x 2
  11. david5150

I’m installing WCL as we speak. I had to search for it in the Microsoft store though as it’s not on the in game store

12. Coastway trainspotter

Never use the in-game store , it doesn’t work

• Like Like x 2
  13. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I agree. Until they put the 101 on it I found WSR basically unplayable as it was so boring. Now they’ve added a little shunting and unlocked some of the yards it is much better.
    Having a steam engine which will accelerate slower anyway should hopefully make for a nice driving experience.

I feel like the long length of WSR isn’t really a good thing and maybe they should of gone with a shorter line with more interest. Quality over quantity.

14. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Good luck with your contact with Rivet. I contacted them a few days after the Arosa line was released, and many times since, about the totally inaccurate timetable and still waiting for action rather than words.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jaceiondalen

jaceiondalen New Member

I think personally both are nice in terms of scenery but I prefer not being stuck to 25mph for an hour ish

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  16. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Hey saltychipz#3569 did you end up purchasing WCL? If so, what are your thoughts for someone who’s also on the cusp of purchasing?

17. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

18. Coastway trainspotter

I did purchase it , I’d definitely recommend buying it . Well worth the money

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. david5150

I also bought it. The only thing slightly off for me is the track sounds. Flange squeal isn’t as good as other routes but hopefully that could be fixed later but yes well worth it. Nice to see some different liveries. I’m currently using the 150 on NTP.

20. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

I would like to use the GWR HST on the West Cornwall Line. Is there a way to do this?

• Like Like x 1
  21. david5150

Yes by using scenario planner. F9218A8D-2119-4AA4-B7A9-641B5B252CC6.jpeg

22. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

Thanks, I’ll give that a try later

23. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

Doesn’t work for me. Can’t enable “off the rails” option

24. Coastway trainspotter

Yes you can , just click on ‘set scenario details’

25. ade4472

ade4472 Member

all I’ve ever used is the in game store and never had an issue

26. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

Well from what I’ve played WCL is very faithful to real life West Cornwall (speaking from personal experience) but in terms of scenery it’s mostly just Penzance and St Ives that offer anything good. All stations are excellently recreated but some of the middle ones (ie Camborne, Hayle, Lelant etc etc) feel a bit samey. Overall it’s a good route but you can do better. Sadly I haven’t played the WSR line yet, not much of a heratige line fan, but it looks great if you’re into scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  27. stebends123

stebends123 New Member

Cornwall is a historic county and ceremonial county in South West England. It is recognized as one of the Celtic nations, and is the homeland of the Cornish people. Cornwall is bordered to the north and west by the Atlantic Ocean, to the south by the English Channel, and to the east by the county of Devon, with the River Tamar forming the border between them. .

28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

West Somerset is nice, pretty, polished but SLOW. It’s about 8miles at between 5-25mph. This is a route you play with a cup of tea, biscuit and one eye on your phone

• Like Like x 3
  29. david5150

I recently bought WSR mainly for the green 47. I notice the sounds on it are the same as the 47 on NTP before TSW 2020.