Thoughts On West Cornwall, So Far....

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by furiousbigface, Nov 4, 2021.

1. furiousbigface

furiousbigface Member

Playing on PS5, purchased this morning and have completed a few services, I'm really enjoying this, although the BR Class 150 does need the sound improving. The extra layers are superb. I finished a service to Penzance, went on free roam and watched an 08 shunt some coaches into the platform. It's little things like this that create immersion and the route is running smoothly. I think this is a big step up for Rivet and Dovetail. Sometimes delaying content is worth the wait.

• Like Like x 8
  2. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Does the timetable seem realistic? One of my biggest bugbears with some routes it just seems impossible to drive to the planned timetable. I wasn't quite clear from watching a bit of the streams pre release if keeping to time was an issue?

• Like Like x 2
  3. furiousbigface

furiousbigface Member

I've only played a few services but so far what I've experienced is achievable.

• Like Like x 5
  4. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

That sounds promising. I think there was also some concern pre release that this route didn't offer much time to set up a train before being expected to depart. Have you found that to be the case? Or is it more like newer DLC routes where you have a minute or 2 to get ready?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

You still don't have time to set-up the train on WCL.
    I've done a couple of St. Ives - St. Erth runs and so far the timetable is doable.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I’m liking the route so far and I am extremely happy with the layers. This is the first route I brought at full price from Rivet Games.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

What's the build quality like?

• Like Like x 2
  8. furiousbigface

furiousbigface Member

It runs really well on PS5, good frame rate. I've found a few minor bugs, nothing major or game breaking so far.

• Like Like x 2
  9. xsaw2121

xsaw2121 Active Member

It sounds great but I'd be more inclined to buy it if I didn't have a DLC limit man that's annoying

• Like Like x 4
  10. yambam#1598

yambam#1598 Member

Is the water from the sea suppose to extend in to Hayle as it looks weird with no water with the tide out

• Like Like x 1
  11. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

There is no count of the distance walked, the carpark at St Austell lets you fall through the floor, where you can then see the world famous floating car plus caravan line ups. :) You'll also need to climb up the kerb to re renter the station, you can wander off into the town, where the shops are identical front and back, the pavement are soil, you can also get trapped by falling into a hole behind the wall if you try and get back down onto the track from the bridge, let see how the other stations fair. Penzance is odd, you can walk all the way to the entrance from platform 4 and all the way to the inside of the entrance from platform 3 but you can not walk in through the entrance or walk out of the entrance to access platform 4. you can also set off from Penzance in the first training scenario with the outer door still open. Someone also appears to have stolen St Michaels Mount. On the bright side the actual driving of the service does seem better than most of the last releases. Still lots of little glitches that haven't been ironed out by an real time testing by the looks of it, but better than the update that still hasn't fixed the long haul scenario in the Rush Hour London DLC.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. StefanVXR8

StefanVXR8 New Member

To be fair, you're description of St Austell sounds pretty realistic :)

I'm enjoying it so far, but as a Cornishman who has spent far too much time on this route than is healthy, there are a few scenery/other niggles:
    • There is no beach at Penzance station
    • St Michaels Mount isn't very realistic
    • Carn Brea is missing between Redruth and Camborne
    • Truro Cathedral is pathetic (I grew up living in it's shadow)
    • The voice used in the start of the game to talk you through the introduction is probably the most annoying voice possible, you feel the need to wind the key up a little to speed him up
    • The door bug is annoying
    • The timetables are too tight
    • The old Pullman camping coaches at Marazion (by St Michaels Mount) would have been a nice touch
    • The repetition of the shops needs addressing (see the ones at Redruth Station)
    Having said that, it runs very nicely on the PS5 and rendered scenery, track and train look fantastic.

Please, please, please can you consider further 70's/80's expansion in the future? Penzance used to look amazing with 08's, 25's, 46's, 47's, 50's and early HST's

• Like Like x 10
  13. StefanVXR8

StefanVXR8 New Member

I also noticed what looks to be a driveable 101 DMU at St Austell station.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. fezza

fezza Active Member

Yes, I just felt the scenery was rather inconsistent in quality. The lineside scenery on the eastern end of the route looked rather bland and generic compared to the west - lots of cut and paste it seemed. There were also many small annoyances - platform ramps too steep at St Erth for example or non existent at St Ives (wrong for period). St. Michael's Mount was particularly frustrating as it's an iconic view on the route and Penzance looks far too woody. I'm also very doubtful if the St. Ives speed limits are correct.

Despite the release delay, it still seems a rushed effort by a small studio without the resources to do it justice or correct basic errors.

• Like Like x 3
  15. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

For those who commented on the scenery: I don't know the route in real life, so mistakes in the scenery I will never notice. Can you recommend it to me or is the copy pasting very noticeable to everyone?

16. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha, I think IOW intro is the worst ever one but this is a close 2nd, in fact, it could be the same guy on both routes!

• Like Like x 3
  17. fezza

fezza Active Member

Some parts are quite noticeable. The stone bridges on St Ives branch aren't detailed and are copies of each other. Some shops at intermediate stops are cloned. Foot crossings seem to be identical. Trees also repeat especially on the eastern section - but you only really notice if you are looking for them. Overall, it is worth having, but you are left with the feeling it could have been so much better.

18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Speaking from the now refunded PC version, among the long line of issues I was struck by how basic the bridges and tunnels appeared. Looked like they were put together in the old Abacus Train Sim Modeller with textures taken from a garden wall!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The route is a good one, easily Rivet's best work, and to be honest the criticisms I am seeing, beyond the door-closing bug, are incredibly nit-picky. If you like rural or relatively quiet routes, or older BR-era stock, it's hard to see any logical reason reason not to enjoy this route for what it is.

The important things:
    - The route: It gives a very good broad impression of the area it represents, yes there are differences, as in every simulation ever made, but it is undeniably a good representation of the area. The scenery is up to DTG standards, not photo realistic, but no noticeably substandard or inappropriate assets. For pop-ins it is refreshingly good on PS4 pro, haven't see anything like this for a while in TSW2, it really does deal with scenery very well in terms of how it loads it in.
    - Performance: In 7 hours of playing I encountered one stutter on PS4 pro, it runs silky smooth, I can honestly say it probably has the smoothest performance we've seen on launch for a route in TSW2, perhaps only Cathcart circle comes close to being as stutter-free. That is a nice change given what we have been through with the Rush hour releases.
    - Gameplay: It was never going to be a great follow-on from Rush Hour as it is immediately noticeable how quiet it is compared with the three previous route releases, but whilst a lot of the route length is quiet (which you would expect for the route and the era), the section between Penzance and St. Erth has some interesting things going on, with the 08 rolling stock moves, and light freight loco movements. Similarly, thanks to the layers you can do a lot more than just trundle back and forwards in a 150, the express layer and 08 layer gives some other quality of life to the route. It certainly stands up well against most if not all pre-Rush Hour routes in terms of what there is to do.
    - Locos: Great models, the 150 in particular is a trip down memory lane for me and it delivers. Hard to impress how good it looks in the right light. Whilst the layers might not be strictly accurate for the era, it is far better they are there than not, and given the inconsistency of British Rail liveries at the time, it is not exactly so far from reality that it beggars belief.
    - Sounds: As someone who does not listen to sound recordings of locos to make comparisons with a video game, it sounds great to me. The 150 has more depth and charm than the 166, and more grunt than the 101, it does not, under any circumstances, sound bad, in fact again, I'd argue cab-sounds are about the best we've heard on release for a long time. You do not need to open the windows to feel the grunt or chug of the diesel engines, but if you do you really are rewarded with a phenomenal sound. I'm told it is missing aspects which mean it is not strictly accurate, which still only leaves sounds an 8/10 (at worst) as far as I am concerned.
    - Bugs: The doors not closing or opening at the end of a route is the only serious one I have encountered so far. Each time I have been able to get it working but only through trial and error. This is an annoying way to end a route and not the thing you want players to be thinking about as they leave the game.

The route is a dead on 7.5/10 for me, it's not my favourite, or the best thing the game is capable of, but based on what it was presented as, and has been delivered as, it does what it is supposed to do (even more than expected thanks to the layers), and does it very well as far as I can see. Every non-endingly negative post I have read about this route (admittedly, almost all on the PC forum) amounts to "I decided to set my expectations according to my own reality rather than any experience I have ever had with TSW, and to my complete surprise, I am disappointed". If you've watched a stream and liked what you saw, in my opinion, the real thing is at least as good, if not better.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

If the tide is out, then there is no sea in Hayle...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im having trouble with the freight scenarios when i uncouple the wagons the brakes do not release on the class 37. i have to drive it at full power 10 to get any speed up. and on the one scenario the 90 minute one i drove the 37 away from the wagons and the brakes came on even harder and i could not move the engine any more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like the 37s brakes are set on vacuum when they should be on air. This can only be selected from cab 2 I think.

This used to happen on the NTP heavy freight pack, the brown vans had to be used on vac brakes while locos defaulted to air. The brakes would not release until set properly.

23. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

one of the scenarios tells us to set the brakes to vacuum which is the 40 minute one. and the other scenario is an air brake one which is the 90 minute scenario

i use PS 5

24. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Hi' I have been playing since a month or two before TSW2 release, starting on TSW 2020. I don't know how most things are supposed to look in the game, or how the different locos/trains are supposed to sound. So I am not as concerned about things having to be near perfect as a lot of other players are.

After watching the first stream I was not going to get it yet, it was a maybe get when in a sale. The main things that put me off was just having the one loco and not a lot of traffic on the track. Then I heard about the added layers and the changes with the water I decided to get it when it released. I am very pleased I did as I have been enjoying it very much. And I am sure that even after I move on to other new routes this will be a route that I will always come back to for a nice relaxing drive.

If you don't know exactly how things should look and sound, and you don't go around trying to find faults then I think you will enjoy it. I am sure a lot of people go into the game looking for faults every time something new comes out, rather than going into it to enjoy what we have

One thing that found me that was and is a bit of a pain is the door issue, twice I have had it now. First time took me a while to work out how to get around it, second time I knew. At the end of a service the doors would not shut. I found walking up to them and closing each individually works.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I am loving it so far but have only been doing the st erth to st Ives shuttle. The lighting effects as the sun goes down are lovely across the coastal landscape and I’ve enjoyed watching the express services thundering past while I am waiting for my return trip. Well done DTG and Rivet

• Like Like x 1
  26. fezza

fezza Active Member

Oddly the St Ives branch seems to be by far the best graphically - but they ruined it with poorly detailed and cloned bridges.

And yes, despite the simplified scenery, there is still stuttering for me approaching Truro and Penzance.

The timetable layers give entertainment value, but they are pure fantasy. A Peak or a 40 on an Intercity train in 1993 are as likely as an SD40 or a German ICE. We see four wheeled vacuum braked stock on freight trains - again all works of fantasy. I've even seen a long AI Intercity MK2a rake without a brake vehicle - you've got to worry for the driver and passengers on those Cornish banks!

27. screamfan

screamfan Member

A lot of copy paste and low textures...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

Am actually really enjoying this route. I can care less about the cloned bridges I didn't even notice. Not everything is gonna be perfect. I can understand if you been or live there it can be very noticeable. This is the first time I enjoy the game in a long time because of the chaos rush hour caused. It feels good to get a non rush hour route again and actually have fun. Only complaint is no HST layer. I hope they do the Seawall route next for GWR but this time not go back in time.

• Like Like x 2
  29. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

There is at least two cloned bridges as you leave St Erth in reality. You immediately go under the roundabout of the A30. There is a concrete bridge, followed by the original brick A30 bridge, then the concrete A30 bridge again?

• Like Like x 1
  30. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Small anorak details aside is it good enough to actually play on a PS4 leaving aside the PS5 is better blah blah that would justify paying anywhere near full price?

• Like Like x 1
  31. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

A few questions involving layers for those who have West Cornwall Local..

1. What are the layers and the locos associated with them?

2. How many services do the layers add?

3. Are the layers available for last gen, too, or just next gen?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

1: Class 40, Class 45, Class 47, Class 101 and Class 08 from Northern Trans-Pennine with heavy freight pack. The class 37 from Tees Valley.
    2: There are 98 services total for WCL
    CL101 - 64
    CL150 - 64
    So these are shared/substituted between each other. If you complete a timetable in one type, it will show as complete in the other.
    CL47 - 21
    CL37/5 RF - 21 (this is the Tees Valley CL37/5)
    CL40 - 21
    Again, these services are shared/substituted with each other.
    CL37/5 RSR - 27 (21 are shared with the TVL CL37)
    CL 08 - 7
    3: Yes, the layers are for all systems, not just PC and next gen.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  33. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think that's a very fair review by Luke8899 .

34. PHJ-MGF

Must agree with your summary of the voice at the beginning of the training, it's like an 80's bad tape machine slipping. Somebody get that guy a Red Bull, he sounds like he needs it.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The voice over in the intro reminds me of those videos you have to watch for health and safety or those boring documentaries they made you watch at school.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying this route on PS4. It would have been very desolate without the loco hauled layer from Trans Pennine but thankfully someone made a great decision. I just wish there was more jointed track. It really helps you figure out how quickly you're slowing down, adds a bit of drama when you're going fast and I miss it on the long sections of welded rail...... unless they just didn't bother adding the joints. Only other thing.....has anyone heard any seagulls yet? I'm a bit deaf and haven't used headphones yet but I don't think I've heard any which is a bit odd for a seaside location. We had seagulls at Redcar and Saltburn. Anyway for me, best thing since Diesel Legends. Great stuff.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. PHJ-MGF

I know most U.K. players vastly prefer to play the passenger service (80/20%, I think from what I read) but have any of you tried the freight service scenario yet? I can't seem to stop the diesel engine when it is approaching the trucks for coupling. it just seems to slam into them and if you get out to couple the engine to the trucks, you can't and also you are unable to climb back into the engine as it appears to still be trying to reverse into the trucks, even though I have the brakes on full before I leave the cab? The brakes also seem not to work at all as you approach the trucks, it's not slowing and slams into the trucks.

• Like Like x 3
  38. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I ran a freight service 6H10 - 07:18 and when I got to Penaznce uncoupled as instructed the train became difficult to drive. When I re-coupled to the wagons I could not move the train. I eventually figured out that the brakes in the loco had defaulted back to Air. When I first uncoupled. The Turbot wagons are Vacuum braked so I went into the other cab and set the brakes to Vacuum freight and I was able to move again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Lenwigg

Yes I have heard and seen the seagulls. I think it was at St. Ives, after I finished a service. Wasn't sure if I could walk to the waters edge and was in a bit of a hurry. So used the outside free roam camera down to the edge to check the waves and the foam. After a while I heard the gulls, looked up and saw them. Not loads but seemed a few in all directions flying in all directions. Did not expect to see them, hadn't given that any thought so I was pleased especially as only playing on base PS4

• Like Like x 2
  40. davemc#8546

davemc#8546 New Member

I'm having a problem playing the "late finish" scenario. I have almost completed and now driven from Penzance to refuel. I am at a stop sign waiting to enter and have to contact the signaller. However, the telephones in the cab do not work and there doesn't seem to be a stand alone phone on the track. Any ideas?

41. Lenwigg

Press and hold O button on PS4

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. fezza

fezza Active Member

I recommend the Western Class 52 on this route ( using scenario editor). A Whizzo on 12 bodies over the Cornish banks on a wet day is something of a challenge. It's a real pity we don't have Western Diesel Legends DLC timetable on here as an option.

I also wonder why the 31 is not on the regular timetable - it was a regular on this route in the early 90s, while the 40 and 45 that are there were razor blades by then.

• Like Like x 3
  43. davemc#8546

davemc#8546 New Member

brilliant thank you

44. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of the wheel screech / flange screech, odd it sometimes happens on straight bits of track, isn't this meant to be curves only?

• Like Like x 2
  45. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I watched the first half of your video of the route on YouTube and noticed quite a few momentary stutters. It didn’t appear silky smooth to me.

46. Lenwigg

Yes it does seem to screech at the wrong time at times but I guess they tried.

47. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Do 150s squeel like this in real life?

48. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Yeah I was wondering about the Class 31. What type of services did it run, Freight, Passenger or both.

49. fezza

fezza Active Member

It operated ballast and air braked freight in this era (1990s). It was also often used between 1989 -1993 on DMU substitutions as the second generation DMUs had lots of problems ( one problem was that the doors wouldn't shut properly - that's a feature that Rivet have accurately reproduced with their 150! )

The 33 also appeared occasionally, but it was rare west of Plymouth during this era. But even that would be a more accurate sub than the 40s and 45s - although it would need a repaint into blue, sector or Dutch livery).

• Like Like x 5
  50. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I am also wondering if the Rivet class 150 door problem is a bug or intended feature?