Class 150 Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LucasLCC, Nov 6, 2021.

1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Today was my first opportunity to try West Cornwall Local, and unfortunately I've made the decision to refund it. The route itself is ok, I don't have much complaints there. However the 150 really does leave a lot to be desired when it comes to sounds and physics. I'll re-buy this route with a bigger discount or if it actually receives a patch (unfortunately with Rivet this is far from guaranteed).

My thoughts on the 150:

- Model wise it is nice. Rivet always make a nice looking model, even if this is a weird combination of Regional Railways, First Great Western and Great Western Railway.
    - Sounds leave a lot to the imagination. Having travelled around 4500 miles on 150s, I have a fairly good idea of what they sound like. The train is completely missing the revving up sounds that a 150 is known for producing, the engine sounds are on the quiet side (especially with the window open). The track squeals are weird, especially as they often occur on straight sections of track where you wouldn't experience flange squeal, and the track join sounds are just not realistic. I'm not usually that bothered by sounds, but this is too poor an attempt for me.
    - The physics are also wonky, especially as the acceleration is near immediate in sim. This is an aging diesel not a new electric. It takes time for the revs to build up and the unit to pull away. Like with the 204, this is something Rivet struggle to understand. The brakes seem on the weak side (especially full service) and emergency brakes seem far too powerful.
    - Nitpicky, but the drivers seat has been referred to as an engineers seat again (same mistake in Isle of Wight), the route intro has the tail lights and headlights lit, and when you blow the horn for the first time the award mentions a whistle...

If the 150 was a bit more polished then I'd have kept this, however my money will be going on a different game instead this time round. I also might have kept it if Rivet were more forthcoming with patches, but I've learnt my lesson from Arosa (still broken by the way, fix it Rivet).

• Like Like x 14
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m definitely going to hold off buying. I must admit, I was very tempted to bite the bullet today, but I can’t spend money on sub-par routes/locos going forward. The amount of negative feedback is growing by the hour.

• Like Like x 8
  3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

good route i like

4. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

There is at least one, who likes the route :)

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some people are easily entertained... :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

I think DTG need to take a more hands-on role when comes to 3rd party content.

If the sounds are wrong because of the Simugraph simulation as said in the latest stream then they need to do better at actually getting the stimulation right before the sounds. DTG should've watched closes as to how well they were doing things. I were at DTG I would've have assessed as to how close they got the physics to real life before starting anything else.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

0 - 30mph is definitely too quick and I have sent them real life videos and acceleration data to use as reference but somehow this got ignored.

• Like Like x 1
  8. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

To be fair Gary, I know you are trying to be helpful and I agree that the 150 sounds and physics could be a lot better but how would you feel if people started sending you advice on teaching the piano? I am not doubting your abilities by the way, which judging by your qualifications and experience, I’m sure are excellent. I am just using this as an example. If members of the public started sending you suggestions, you would ignore them, as would I in my former career.

9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

No need to make fun of anyone. That person may genuinely like and enjoy the route and he/ she is probably not alone. Let's not do snark on the forum, please.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

NVM

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It got ignored because TSW doesn't work like TS where you can simply adjust some parameters to make the train go faster or slower.

The Class 150 is a total disaster from a physics stand point, and it would be no easy feat to make it right.

Simugraph actually simulates all of the parts inside a train, and determines what does what.

They either completely didn't model or only partially modelled the hydraulic transmission, which leads to the physics being nothing like a diesel-hydraulic. It would need extensive work to make it right, and I am 80% sure they simply do not know how to do it, given the fact the BR204 is in a similar state, or don't have the time to do it properly. It's not a matter of lacking knowledge, but ability/time/budget to implement it in simugraph.

For example the revving up of the engine in the Class 166 was not programmed, it happened naturally because DTG has modelled everything correctly. On a Class 166 if it accelerates too quickly it might be enough to tweak the engine power or something, similar story for the Class 313, the physics is right, but it has too much power. The Class 150 on the other hand is just a disaster.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

I thought it was just me then, struggling with the 150. By struggling I mean, the thing feels way underpowered ( I could be driving it wrong though ) - as in with those steep banks, i'm lucky if i get to 33-35mph with it in max throttle, which inevitably makes you run late. And whilst i've never actually ridden one on this route before in the real world, is this what they actually do?? struggle up 1.7% gradients at 30 ish mph, even with the throttle wide open (this is of course if i've stopped at a station beforehand)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

I wish I didn't buy the route last year due to the issues of the 150 I've been one to say about the poor sound of it and other things it seems Rivet have completely forgot about it the route is a year old now and still nothing has been done we can only hope that changes soon

• Like Like x 1
  14. ghawk2005

This is rivet in a nutshell unfortunately. Initially the unit was way overpowered. I mean rockets accelerate less than this thing did. So we sent off feedback, real life gps speed and cab speedo recordings. But instead of utilising all this, they just ‘fixed’ it by guesswork and now is seriously way off again is now underpowered. They have a unique ability to take something that is broken, and make it worse. I’ve tried, believe me I have tried to get them to listen but to no success. Take the Skyhook’s MML Class 158 by contrast, and that’s how you build a DMU for TSW. It is incredible to drive and listen to.

• Like Like x 4
  15. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Your definitely spot on

• Like Like x 2
  16. ghawk2005

having now seen what can be done with the editor, simigraph, it’s amazing and I have been so impressed, it actually makes me even more annoyed at Rivet’s lack of care and attention to details. All it takes is 1) a bit of research and 2) reaching out to the community who know how it should sound and act, drive etc. there are plenty of us that can help but they just don’t care.