PC West Cornwall Local: Penzance - St. Austell & St Ives - The Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2021.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The other problem with the trees, which I’ve noticed on other routes too is a horrible LOD flicker where they look like billboards, before the 3D effect pops in. Maybe it’s my settings but I’ve not experienced that on any other game. It makes the West Cornwall forest look even more unreal and distracting than it already is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Can I please bump this question as it has not been answered adequately. The only reply I have seen is that the Park and Ride closed in 2019 and it is a “parliamentary” service. However, the route is set in 1992 and I know that trains stopped here at that time (although not all trains as far as I can remember). I used the park and ride facilities myself well into the 90s and 2000s.

Edit: I’ve just posted this on the Rivet’s support forum so hopefully there will be a definitive answer.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I would normally consider this to be an insta-purchase being a UK route but unfortunately that hasn't happened this time.
    The route scenery does look v good, but it's a combination of a few things that has made me decide not to purchase. I'm getting a bit fed up of the signalling issues (maybe if this was perfect I may have actually purchased), the sound issues (openBVE sets the bar v high) plus there's a lot of competition out there at the moment in terms of other sims/games- notably Forza 5, Aircraft DLC for flight sims etc etc. So for me I won't be buying until things are sorted. Shame really, as it does look good in terms of near and mid scenery (apart from the earth texture next to the track).

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Some of the feedback on this thread is quite depressing. I really wanted to buy this route, but not sure I want to now.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Anyone manage to complete Cornish Circle? I got to Penzance, opened the platform doors, changed end and the doors wont shut. Broken scenario.

I retract broken. It appears you have to wait in the cab you pulled up in and shut the doors from that, for some reason you cant change ends and expect the doors to work??

You should also try running through the train too, you end up stood on half the seats.

6. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

I have been torn since Thursday, deliberating whether or not to pay £22.49.
    I really wanted this route because I like the notion of driving a British, seaside setting. The beach scenery, in my opinion, looks really good and the 150 model visually I am really impressed with. With the addition of the NTP and Heavy Freight layers, both of which I already own, I was very excited about having more playability with those DLCs following the announcement.
    However, after regularly monitoring these forums, assessing reviews on the Steam store and watching content streamed on YouTube, I am opting not to purchase the DLC (which I am gutted about) for the following reasons:-
    • Admittedly a very small issue, but the fact the thumbnail for the route on the main menu faces the opposite way alarms me. It's the only DLC where the loco/mu faces the opposite way to all other DLC. If such a basic attention to detail as of keeping the UI uniform is missed, I instantly question what else has been overlooked?
    • I really dislike the earth texture next to the track.
    • I cannot hear the track joint sounds.
    • Even if I could overlook the current sound implementation of the BR Class 150, I cannot overlook the acceleration curve.
    • Reports of bugs including signaling issues.
    • I really regret the choice to not include an Intercity swallow liveried HST. And whereas I may have bought WCL with the hope that at some point the HST might be released as an additional DLC, now the NTP and Heavy Freight layers have been added I feel as though there is little to no chance of that happening.
    • I am concerned that the route has only just been released but will be abandoned, receiving no quality improvements or additional content.
    Some of my feelings may be daft or misinformed but that's just the way I feel as a consumer. I hope my feedback provides valuable insight.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

All valid points. I spotted the train facing the wrong way too and that would bother me. My decision has already been made for now on the Trophy issue, so I'm not buying anyway, but little consistency details like that do make you wonder.

If you really can't overlook the acceleration, then surely that's your decision made too?

• Like Like x 2
  8. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

IMO the trees popping is the same in all TSW but as this Dlc is very trees heavy It's even more disturbing. On PC tweaks in engine.ini helped a lot.

10. OldVern

Any particular values that you can recommend?

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This route has been back and forth between drawing boards and the maintenance workshop (and the local bellows mender) and has been spewed out as a misshapen Frankenstein’s monster of mixed eras and poor execution. DTG have tried to save it at the last moment by including much needed content but the attempt to mask the horrors of the 150 by making it an optional extra to older BR stock has made the route a bit of a joke. It should always have been an original HST and that probably still isn’t the biggest crime on this route. I’m a little confused as to what Rivet were trying to make in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  12. chieflongshin

I've had more niggles with it this morning not accelerating and then noticed some other bits.

Throttle lever not easy to find.
    Brakes being odd
    Walking through train is bizarre.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Try shutting the doors from the cab in which you arrived (nearest the buffers), worked for me. I had that issue, then another once I set off; the brakes stayed partially on even though the gauges said otherwise, so progress was difficult and I gave up on the scenario eventually.

14. chacal#2181

15. chieflongshin

The tip for the doors is correct, thats the resolution I had to have. I have also noticed if you run one end with safety systems, shut down cab and change end if you don't turn of DSD in the original cab you drag the brakes when it goes off as you're in the other cab.

I was trying to be sympathetic to this dlc, it is becoming harder.

16. OldVern

Thanks Chacal, I'll give those values a try obviously not on WCL as it's been refunded but Main Spessart was another one with the horrid LOD tree flicker.

17. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

add r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

18. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of the wheel screech / flange screech, odd it sometimes happens on straight bits of track, isn't this meant to be curves only?

19. chieflongshin

I think its a little bit too much at times. It almost seems and I may be wrong that it just squeals regardless up until about 15-20mph

20. Skyz2020

Interesting I find it does it on straight still at 40, that can't be normal?

21. OldVern

Thanks I will add that too. The values Chacal mentioned have already helped on all but the most distant trees.

22. OldVern

Seems like they have looped it into the normal run sound rather than trigger at specific locations!

23. Skyz2020

Interesting old vern, do you think it's looped to standard time or a random time, I can't work the pattern?

24. OldVern

Can't really say now as the route has been refunded and I'm only going to rebuy if/when things are significantly patched.

25. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Wow! The train faces the wrong way on the main menu!!! We are getting into silly season now with complaints.

Tell you what, click on it to start the route and the offending train will disappear from sight. Choo Choo Choo down the track.

• Like Like x 4
  26. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Not a complaint; merely an observation. And taken out of context, I agree, it does sound ridiculous. But it's not the only oversight is it?
    Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the route :)

• Like Like x 4
  27. chieflongshin

IF - At a given point where someone has acknowledged it needs fixing.
    WHEN - An undefined time in the future which is not immediately, but likely when the complaints are aimed at new dlc negating the commercial risk to fix the aforementioned unacknowledged issue.

This isn't DTG we're dealing with here OldVern :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  28. fezza

fezza Active Member

The problem is that if they haven't even bothered to check the menu screen, one immediately suspects everything else has received the same lack of attention... and I'm afraid that suspicion is soon confirmed once you start playing.

• Like Like x 4
  29. chacal#2181

After yesterday comparaison vs. real footage, today some pictures of comparaison vs.TS addon on the very same route (from St Austellto Truro this time ) I tried to take compariaosn pictures on where scenics views are avaiable like viaducs and so on. Sorry, i should have used the same hours as the TS video.

I let evry one find by himself but my opinion is that beautiful landscapes are all hidden by those tall trees and bushes along the rails, and you can only see them in exterior views. Removing some trees would bring variation, would be probably far more true to life instead of hiding scenes creators work.
    Nouvelle image bitmap.jpg Nouvelle image bitmap (3).jpg Nouvelle image bitmap (6).jpg Nouvelle image bitmap (9).jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. OldVern

Oh I agree - Rivet Games are even more of a "fire and forget" outfit than the Dovies themselves.
    For those hoping our feedback and criticism has been taken on board, consider the following:
    Q. Have they fixed Arosa yet?
    A. No.

Q. Have they fixed the 1938 stock sound oddities yet?
    A. No.

It's a shame, as Rivet were born out of Thomson Interactive who did some cracking routes for TS (well apart from making their assets non selectable if placed on your own route in the editor) like Edinburgh to Glasgow and the various Swiss routes.

• Like Like x 5
  31. screamfan

screamfan Member

They hide them because the long range textures are really low quality. They only worked on the close textures that can be seen from the cockpit.

32. fezza

fezza Active Member

Run a Western Diesel with larger windows and wider FOW and you realise how poor some of the distant scenery really is... And yet you still get lower frame rates. It suggests a lazy approach to both scenery and optimization.

• Like Like x 1
  33. chacal#2181

iIt's possible, i don't know, but i have done the route on exterior view and there is nice scenery behind those trees (and some ugly textures too sometimes) but actually, from cabin it's like being in forest.

Also actually unfortunatly there is no point to journey as a pessenger, something I like a lot to do in TSW on other DLCs.

34. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I am very disappointed with the outcome of this route. The quality is extremely poor and most freeware routes have more accurate scenery than this route. Rivet have informed me following contact that they could issue an update at a later date. Somehow I don’t see it happening.

For those that know the route, will realise it has so many discrepancies and Rivet have missed the opportunity to prove they can replicate a beautiful part of the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  35. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I must admit that I am enjoying thrashing the diesels up and down this roller coaster of a route. It is quite a challenge to stay smooth and on time.
    Cornwall 47.jpg

The 101 is particularly fun on this route. A prototype question: when the throttle is off, is it OK to keep it in gear which seems to provide a little braking going down grade? Or should I put the gear in neutral and use the brakes?

36. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the 101 is supposed to be left in 4th gear when coasting.
    Sounds weird I know but they were designed in the 50s. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  37. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Always coast in 4th. Only put it in neutral immediately before you stop.

• Like Like x 1
  38. chieflongshin

I do also think a year down the line this wheel rotation should no long be acceptable. Has there been continued investigation into a solution or now just put to bed as an "unreal engine" thing?

Looks a mess
    Screenshot (18).png

• Like Like x 2
  39. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Thats the default setting….. the change is to make it 0 not 1. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Addition to my previous post I’ve noticed a few other things that really question the QA on this route.

Playing with some of the loco hauled services, such as the 47, the stop markers are placed in some questionable places; which involves most of your train off the platform when it clearly fits. Many times I’ve stopped at the most appropriate stop board but the objective doesn’t acknowledge that I’ve stopped because it’s 200m ahead of me lol!
    Not picked up in QA?

Also, level crossing lights at small foot crossings?

Signalling as well is a little bit iffy. Especially being given all greens coming into a station and then the starter remaining ON. No approach release or anything similar.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

I finished Cornish Circle same day I got the route. Did it as part of the Journey. Didn’t experience any issues with it.

42. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

If you follow the scenario instructions to the letter you probably won't. Trouble starts if you have the gall to use the safety systems or take the initiative of opening the doors on first arrival at Penzance. Such wanton behaviour would normally have no repercussions in TSW2 but for some reason the 150 is not comfortable with it.

43. chieflongshin

I'm coming to the conclusion that if you simply sit the 150 in the station and don't drive it, don't move the camera then the routes not that bad. I genuinely regret going over the 2 hour refund window and letting rivet win this fight

44. OldVern

Could try and make a special case with Steam.
    The irony is after refunding, the bug with the associated content not being removed is still present… So the route still sits in the menu and could be fired up if I so desired.

45. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

The same

46. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

You’d need to delete the pak file from the DLC folder. Or not… You could theoretically continue to use it, but you would not receive future updates. More importantly though you definitely wouldn’t be visited by Santa this Xmas as it’s rather naughty. I was in the same situation but ended buying it again after playing with it some more out of morbid curiosity - it felt the right thing to do and only fair, despite all of the issues.

47. OldVern

I will probably buy it again when on sale at 50% off. The one redeeming feature of the route is that it provides a good test track for thrashing the 45 and 52 in particular.

48. 5cip

5cip Active Member

xD :D

49. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Decided to make a scenario on the route to make it more busy so went into the scenario editor. Dear god, what's the point!?! Just two paths I could use at Penzance, I couldn't even name it Penzance to Liverpool as the name was not allowed!! I mean, really!!?? Couldn't use any sidings either to place anything on, hopeless!

The scenario editor needs a massive overhaul and I hope 2.0 brings in a lot more functionality and paths.

• Like Like x 3
  50. OldVern

It probably suppresses Liverpool because of "poo". Really DTG need to relax the profanity filter by about 95%, you get the same if you try to type in Class One or Class Two, it doesn't allow it because of "ass". God help us if they ever feature a route that passes through Scunthorpe...

• Like Like x 12