Brake Test On Br

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by abbacassianus, Nov 8, 2021.

1. abbacassianus

abbacassianus New Member

I have a question:
    1) Нow do I test the brakes after changing the cab on British trains?
    2) Is there a handbrake on the class 377?
    2)Нow to operate vacuum brakes?

Thanks for the help!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

1) When moving, for trains with a 3-step brake (ie most passenger multiple units built since the 1980s), while looking at the brake gauge, apply the brakes to step 1, then step 2, then step 3, then release. Check that the brake cylinder reads the appropriate values (0.7-1.5 for step 1, 1.7-2.5 for step 2, 2.7-4 for step 3). This'll also give you an idea of how good the brakes are. If stationary, start from full service/step 3 and only release the brakes until the BC falls to 0, then immediately re-apply.

2) I don't think so.

3) Depends what train. on locomotives, they behave relatively similar to air brakes. On the Class 101, they behave more like a steam loco, or the Class 66. You have a release position, a 'hold' position, and an apply position. Unlike the PBL on the 66, it won't spring back to 'hold', and it's more 'fluid', ie there's no set position. The further into the 'apply' zone you go, the quicker the brakes will apply, similarly for release. As the name suggests, the 'hold' position will neither apply nor release the brakes (unless there's a leak) - this is what should be used when you're not braking, too.

Hope this helps :)

3. abbacassianus

abbacassianus New Member

Thanks! If I can have a couple more questions.

1) at what speed are the brakes being tested in motion?
    2) how to keep the train downhill during the brake test before departure (class 377)? If there is no hand brake?

4. Clumsy Pacer

Just after leaving the platform/station where you took over the train, so typically about 20 mph. You'll generally lose about 10mph doing it, depending on gradient.

If you re-apply the brake immediately after reading the BC gauge at 0, you won't move unless on a very steep gradient, it's not something you really need to worry about - especially given the brakes are rather quick to apply/release, you'll only have the handle in the release position for about 2 seconds.
    Have a look at this absolutely dreadful BR training video for the Class 150 - skip to 3:45 and notice how quickly the driver re-applies the brake after releasing it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The trickier bit with vacuums is knowing when to switch to them (i.e. which wagons have them), and when switching from vacuum back to air clearing the reservoir.

6. Clumsy Pacer

Speaking of, where's the vacuum chamber release in the Class 31? I cannot find it to save my life.

7. solicitr

I'd have to look; but if IIRC it's only found in Cab A, as on all older UK diesels. You won't find one in Cab B!

8. Clumsy Pacer

Looked all over both cabs and did an orbit of the outside.

9. solicitr

Hmmmmm.......

10. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Behind the second driver's seat above the door on the wall. ;)

20211108221739_1.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  11. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Vacuum brakes worke usually with an exhauster, which is turned off when operating in air braking conditions.

Switching from vac to air will need to release the vac from chamber before driving.

After coupling an air braked air you need to perform a brake continuity test, which overcharges the pipe to about 78psi. After this a regular brake test follows.

If you working multiple there are some differences and exceptions from loco to loco. Mainly the blue star dual equiped locos are compatible. So for operating in vacum the exhauster of the slave unit is turned off.

Also towing locos in tsw works great. So if the equalizer hoses are connected the compressor of the leading loco is enough to fill both locos reservoirs.
    For some reasons not all tsw locos are coupled with all hoses the same way. So on the failed loco the main reservoir could get empty if the equalizer hoses are not connected.

Thats why i suggested that its possible of connecting each hose separate. The tech works, just not every loco gets coupled the same way if its about hoses.

On a long run at some point it wouldnt be possible to release the brakes anymore on the failed unit.

12. Clumsy Pacer

Of course it's tiny and in a corner in the roof that the station lights weren't lighting up. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. abbacassianus

abbacassianus New Member

I have one more question. How to test brakes on freight trains? What is the amount of pressure drop in the brake pipe? At what speed is the brake performance checked after leaving the station?
    Thanks a lot for your answer.

14. meridian#2659

Here the manual of the class 08, there is a lot information about brakes and testing. If you want to try, its working almost 1:1. The one in tsw is a "dual" equipped shunter. To "release" the automatic brake valve push the button to overcharge the trainpipe. With the handle you get back only to the "running" position.

http://locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/08-09-13GeneralInstructions1980.htm

More info to brakes on the same site as the link under non loco specific manuals. (British rail). Its all there from general procedures until heavy detailed drawings & schematics.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  15. abbacassianus

abbacassianus New Member

Many thanks! Unfortunately, this book does not contain page number 15. And also the end of 1-st and the entire 2-nd section, where the procedure for testing the brakes is described.

16. meridian#2659

Page 15

Screenshot_20211212-194447_Chrome.jpg

There is another 3 part manual of an older date on that page. I found all the brake procedures.

17. meridian#2659

18. meridian#2659

19. meridian#2659

Here an important manual for multiple working (Blue star). Works all perfect in tsw. People which have problems its caused by the lack of understanding how the system works.

Tsw's limits are, that not all hoses gets connected by coupling a loco on another. So if the reservoir equalizing hose isnt mounted the second locos reservoir is running out of air at some point. But for short trips its ok. Every loco operating in multiple is different in tsw2 becsuse the hose thing. Wish devs change that and make it poasible to connect all hoses together.

http://locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/Multipleworkinginstructions-33056-6-Issue3.htm

You can even couple an mk1c coach between a hst and your loco of choice as a buckeye adapter, to tow the hst.

20. solicitr

Unfortunately, in the game one can’t hold and release the DSD pedal

21. meridian#2659

Here another manual attached, to tow a defective hst.

When it comes to towing, brakes are the most important thing, because the compressor of the failed loco isnt usually working.

Attached Files:

22. meridian#2659

There is a dsd isolation valve, when unisolated, the brakes come after 5 - 10 seconds when going off the chair.

Its on the right side of the vacuum release valve.
    Even the manual fuel pump works.

Dtg did a superb job on the 08, wish they would upgrade the 09 to those features.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  23. meridian#2659

Here a manual, where all brake positions and pressures are described in detail. Its from a class 47, but its similar to cl20, cl31, cl.37 and cl40. Only exception is the cl 33.

Link:
    https://www.silvermoorconsulting.co.uk/br-training-manuals.html

Its the cl.47 davies & metcalfe braking equipment manual.

Screenshot_20211213-224215_Drive.jpg

Well to be clear, there is stuff in those manuals which can never be implemented in tsw2, because its just too much in heavy detail, which isnt asked in any way or usefull for a sim.

I post that for people who are interested in technical aspects and want to know more about a specific loco and its systems.

Dtg did a great job on the classic br diesels, all major systems are working, even a complex brake test with overcharging.

Sad to read american locos havent the amount of details compared to 2 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  24. abbacassianus

abbacassianus New Member

Many thanks! I have carefully studied the instructions you gave. Except for the link https://www.silvermoorconsulting.co.uk/br-training-manuals.html. My browser cannot open it.
    Questions about the brake test
    1) brake test before departure in a freight train. Move the brake lever to the FULL SERVICE position?
    2) Release the brakes in the RELEASE position up to a pressure of 78.5 p.s.i.?
    3) How to do a brake test on a freight train after the train has departed? At what speed?

P.S. Sorry for my mistakes in English.