I Experience Crashes On All 3 Rush Hour Routes.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Oct 16, 2021.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Hi! I have severe problems with rush hour, simply can't play with. Base game runs better. My laptop should be ok for the task, other games run perfectly even on higher settings.
    What is wrong? Could that be DX12 related? If yes, how can I swap back to 11?

2. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

If you have DirectX 12 enabled (it is not enabled by default, so you would have had to change it in the launch settings), disable it and see how it affects the game. It can improve performance on some machines, but on others it can lower it.

If DX12 isn't enabled (if you haven't changed the launch settings, it is not enabled), consider lowering settings or even going into the game's settings file in its installation and changing settings there. I am assuming (do correct me if I am wrong, PC players) that there is an option for passenger density.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pterocles#7018

Thanks for your reply.
    Well I disabled dx12 but didn't really experience any improvement. Still the same stuttering which makes the game impossible to enjoy.

4. Doomotron

If it is only the RH routes creating the problem, then it suggests your PC is not capable of running with the increased passenger numbers. londonmidland is there an option in the game's setting file (engine.ini?) to adjust passenger density?

5. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Problem with stuttering isnt necessarily the passengers, mostly its texture loading and reloading. Disabling texture streaming in the ini-file can help, but comes with the cost of increased RAM and VRAM usage.

6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is. I'm pretty satisfied with the amount of passengers on PC already though. I know older consoles have considerably less passengers.

7. How do you disable DX12?

I just run with DX11 which is default apparently....no problems except mild stuttering but enjoying the Rush Hour immensely!!

8. Have you tried latest video card drivers?

9. pterocles#7018

No, not yet.
    Guess I can update through Nvidia webpage?

10. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Yes, or if you have the Nvidia Experience, you can update directly via that.
    I would suggest trying that, then try to change the DirectX12 to 11 and lower the graphics down a notch, see if the situation improves.

Can you post the specs of your laptop? These could provide some clue as well.

11. pterocles#7018

Well it seems that I solved the problem.
    8 GB RAM was not enough. I upgraded to 16 GB and now all runs sine even on high specs or sometimes medium.

Thanks for all the advises.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Doomotron

Sounds about right. Assuming your issues were with Dresden and London to Brighton specifically, these routes have a lot of stuff loaded at once, so more RAM is needed - it's the same reason their timetables are butchered on old consoles.

13. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

I'm having the same issue, as well, but will explain in case it's different than the other user.

On Boston Sprinter, I get the "Low Level 198" error message.
    On London Commuter, it just exits the game with no error message.
    I haven't even tried to load Dresden because apparently a lot of people have been having problems there.

I'm not too familiar with Nvidia, but I updated DirectX because the game wasn't launching at all. That solved that problem and all my other routes (with the exception of the odd scenario in LIRR) work. I know there's an increase in passengers for Rush Hour (obviously), but i'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding DTG's claims, one can't run the RH routes with just 8GB of RAM. Depending on config, TSW running Dresden can consume over 9GB all by itself, not counting Windows' system overhead.

15. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

If I uninstall Dresden, would that possibly fix the problem with the other 2?

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Installation or not doesn't matter, it's what is currently loaded. Simply put, the RH routes are too big to run with just 8GB.

17. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

18. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

There may be more to it than just RAM. I am enjoying the rush hour routes with no crashes and only have 8GB RAM.

rest of the specs are

I7 9750H
    GTX 1660ti

So there may be a different cause

19. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

What do you think it could be?

20. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I don’t know tbh but this is the fun with developing for PC’s there are so many variables even machines that look on paper to be similar can perform in vastly different ways (particularly if cooling isn’t up to scratch as modern CPU’s can loose a lot of performance to thermal throttling, my surface pro used at work is a prime example of this)

21. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Well, that isn't overly helpful. I have between 20 and 30 GB free in my C drive. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the routes, installing the latest DirectX driver and tried running them as 1, 2 or all 3 installed at once. Nothing.

22. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Anything?

23. VION

VION Active Member

Just one question: do you use multiple monitors? If so, try to disable the monitors on which you are not displaying TSW2 (e.g. by using the disconnect function in the windows display options) or by physically disconnecting the HDMI or Display port cables from your monitors after turning them off. It's worth a try as apparently this was the problem I was having with random game crashes as I had three monitors connected and I was stretching the TSW2 window in split mode across all three monitors to get a wider view but with some image distortion.

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

On PC, you have access to something called " virtual memory " which expands your installed RAM, in a sense. It uses "page filing", and your hard drive. You can control this through your computer's system settings. You are probably using the default VM amount. However, VM is much slower than RAM, so your performance may suffer the more of it you use.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  25. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

If you have a modern laptop with an SSD installed, 30GB of storage free isn't a lot. You will want to have filled up no more than 70-80% capacity for performance, I cannot remember the exact number.

You may want to free up storage first. Then get onto preventing programs opening on windows startup so you don't have a lot of background processes running. TSW2 should run on 8GB but you do need to manage your background programs to prevent unnecessary RAM usage.

What are the laptop specs?

26. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

With 8GB all rush hours routes ran like a pig. Upgraded to 16GB and vast improvement.

Changed my CPU to a Ryzen 7 from Ryzen 3 and now running in Ultra settings with TAA and 150% scaling. The older DLC ran with 8GB and the Ryzen 3 despite the Ryzen 3 being below minimum spec, so go figure