West Cornwall Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kurtosizm, Nov 10, 2021.

1. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

So I decided to write some thoughts on the route, as I was really looking forward to it when the first images/videos came out.

I initially bought it on Epic, but had to refund it as it didn't show up in the game.

Moved to Steam, finally I got to try it last night. Unfortunately, I had to refund it in less than two hours.

I live in Surrey, so it's hard to judge how accurate the route is, I actually like it. Some areas are having too many trees in my opinion, not sure how it is in reality. The train models are great, stations look very nice, I can see that they put a lot of effort into those.

On the other hand, it falls short of my expectations. With the greatest possible respect, what did QA do during the time when the route was delayed? I found the below issues after playing roughly 50 minutes, so it's obviously full of bugs in its current state.

Class 150:
    • The map (poster) inside the train has St. Erth twice.
    • Lights are a mess, tail lights come on sometimes, sometimes they don't.
    • The guards' panel is not working (it's clearly possible to make it work, see BR Class 313 EMU).
    • Revs go up and down if you change direction (forward/neutral/reverse).
    • When closing the doors, the DRA is no longer preventing you from applying power (it's still lit). You have to switch it off and on again.
    • Doors are not shutting in scenarios, have to shut them manually.
    • The brake doesn't want to release in some occasions.
    • AWS reminder before green signals.
    • Sounds are all over the place, engine is not revving up properly, the horn is not really audible from the cabin.

And the list goes on. I think Rivet Games have to learn it the hard way that they either fix their routes properly, or at some point, they'll go bankrupt. Don't think by looking at the current Steam rating even casual players are considering it...

By the way: is there a patch coming, or is that it? I would re-purchase a version that doesn't kill immersion. At the moment, I can only recommend this DLC to 'very' casual players who're not bothered by the issues I listed.

• Like Like x 5
  2. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

Imagine if you worked for Gordon Ramsay and served up an "oh it'll do" meal. He'd rip your head off and you'd be out of a job. It's all about raising the standards DTG and if you're happy to have Rivet serving up undercooked cold food, like the person above says, they'll go bankrupt and drag your reputation through more mud.

Hopefully when the new audio technician comes in, he'll be given the chance to go through everything, not just new DLC. If they are given time, then the standards should raise considerably.

I want to support this game as much as I can, and have bought loads, but I won't if the reviews are bad like this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

About the only useful thing it does offer is a test track to thrash the classic diesels for 45 mins along a bit of main line railway. However as an accurate depiction of West Cornwall, or the 150, just no. I also refunded and would only rebuy if I saw significant improvements to all aspects and a bargain bin price. Sadly as noted elsewhere, Rivet are notorious for fire and forget with their TSW projects with the silence thus far from themselves and DTG on the matter, pretty much saying it all.

5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I agree with you with all of this, bar one thing;
    Unlike the AWS and such, the Guard Panels aren't really a standard feature they have to make.

They did do the panel on the 483/1938 stock (because it's the only door control on the train), however the guards panels are somewhat a bonus.

However, it would have been very nice to have a working panel, but sadly they didn't bother.

Personally, I've enjoyed the route (I've had it since October 21st, when it temporarily released on Xbox) for the time I've had it, but I do think these things (that you mentioned and that others mention) need to be improved.

• Like Like x 1