Tsw2 Suggestion: More Heritage Lines.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by oakleymoss#1362, Nov 4, 2021.

1. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

I believed that we need more heritage lines for Train Sim World 2, as we only have one which is the West Somerset Railway (The UK's longest heritage line)

Why do I believe we need more heritage lines?
    There are a number of heritage lines which would be perfect for the game like: Great Central Railway (Loughborough) and Llangollen Railway because of there historic significance and the scenery that it runs through and personally I find it a bit boring going 25MPH for about 30 miles between Minehead and Bishops Lydeard which is about an hour's journey each way where as other heritage lines are around 30 - 40 mins each direction.

What heritage lines would I like for TSW2?
    NOTE: this is just a list of some of the heritage railways that could be added
    1. Llangollen Railway, Denbighshire Wales
    [​IMG]
    The railway runs for 10 miles (16 km) between Llangollen and Corwen. This is the only preserved standard gauge railway in North Wales. The scenery can't be more Welsh.

2. Great Central Railway, Leicestershire UK
    [​IMG]
    The railway runs for 8.25 miles (13.28 km) between Loughborough and Leicester North. The GCR is currently the only double track mainline heritage railway in the world with 5.25 miles (8.45 km) of working double track.

3. East Lancashire Railway, Lancashire UK
    [​IMG]
    The railway runs for 12.5 miles (20 km) between Haywood (Greater Manchester) and Rawtenstall (Lancashire). In early 2016, Ex-LNER 60103 "Flying Scotsman" return to steam on this railway sporting NE Wartime Black and as they were the home for Ex-LNER 60009 "Union of South Africa" before her boiler certificate would expire meaning her steaming days were over.

4. Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Isle of Wight UK
    upload_2021-11-4_21-59-42.jpeg
    The railway passes through 5.5 miles (9 km) of countryside between Smallbrook Junction and Wootton via Havenstreet. At Smallbrook Junction, the steam railway connects with the Island Line (Ryde Pier to Shanklin).

5. Bluebell Railway, West Sussex UK
    upload_2021-11-4_21-59-27.jpeg
    How could I not include this route. The Bluebell Railway runs for 11 miles (17.7 km) between East Grinstead and Sheffield Park. They are the home of such classics as LBSC A1X No 55 "Stepney" and LSWR Adams Radial Tank No 488. They are arguably one of the most famous heritage railways in the UK/world as they are they were the first standard gauge railway in the world (If you don't count the Middleton Railway). This railway as been used many times for films and TV shows like Horrible Histories, Downton Abbey and The Woman in Black.

6. Dartmouth Steam Railway, Devon UK
    [​IMG]
    The lines runs for 6.7 miles (10.8 km) between Paignton and Kingswear. Much of the railway's business is from summer tourists from the resorts of Torbay, who travel to Kingswear, where the Dartmouth passenger ferry takes them across the River Dart to Dartmouth.

What do you think of my suggestion? Sound off in the comments below..

• Like Like x 7
  2. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Another good one would be the Severn Valley

• Like Like x 4
  3. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Is the heritage railway independent or connected to the existing railway?

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

25 MPH notwithstanding, I would like to see one or two extra preserved railways in there. SVR, ELR, NYMR all good candidates with a nice length of run. Some Welsh narrow gauge wouldn’t go amiss either. The biggest challenge DTG would face is probably going to be licensing as the SVR in particular and possibly the NYMR too have reputedly not been sympathetic to the train sim scene. SVR gave an exclusive licence to Blue Arrow for the MSTS version and presumably got royalties on it. I built a fictional version of the NYMR for TS (Heartbeat Moor), someone else was doing a new version but from what I can gather had to negotiate with the company to get permissions. So it’s not as easy as it might seem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

The bluebell railway

• Like Like x 2
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Since these are heritage steam railways and for Spirit of Steam DLC these are likely routes North Yorkshire Moors UK US Essex Valley Germany Bochum Dahlhousen gives Steam locomotives (In German a Dampflok) on HRR or TS 22 classic Wutachtalbahn remade to TSW 2.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why not the Swanage Railway?
    Runs from Norden in the North to Swanage in the south, a few hundred yards from the sea, past Corfe Castle and through the Dorset coast hills. They've got several steam engines, but also a few 08s, a couple of 33s and in 2019 they restored the connection to Wareham on the Dorset Mainline which allowed SWT to run mainline diesels direct onto the heritage line as specials!

They've got a working yard and even a small turntable at the Swanage "depot"

https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The SVR has some beautiful scenery alongside the River Severn through Arley, and also passes along the edge of West Midlands Safari Park, so they could reuse the Dresden elephants! :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Not too keen on heritage lines particularly (they're more fun in real life!) but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the bigger ones in TSW, especially the Severn Valley Railway if we can get a Class 50 with it (several hoovers are based at Kidderminster irl).

• Like Like x 2
  10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the Strasburg Railroad added to TSW as a possible tourist/heritage railroad DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see the effort put into classic routes for the most part, particularly when it comes to mainline steam. Some of the more unique and iconic ones like the Talyllyn or Cass Scenic I certainly wouldn't mind in the slightest though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oakleymoss#1362

I fully agree

• Like Like x 1
  13. oakleymoss#1362

as in?

14. oakleymoss#1362

I mentioned that in the list

15. oakleymoss#1362

I was only listing some of the heritage routes that could be possible candidates for TSW2. Swanage is up there aswell..

16. oakleymoss#1362

I don't know why Dovetail chose to build the WSR first. The line is the longest heritage railway in the UK, I get bored very quickly because I'm going 25mph for over an hour (each way) with 11 station stops.. I was actually hoping to get the good old hoover for West Cornwall Local as class 50s were a common sight in Penzance during the late 80s to early 90s..

The only way that the WSR can be spiced up is if DTG release a steam add on for the route once Spirit of Steam is released..

I also fully agree on the suggestion for the SVR to be added.

17. oakleymoss#1362

I was actually considering adding it to the list but I guess I forgot to add it in..

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

"Why not" was not intended as an accusation, and the remainder was a straight suggestion

19. edward#5859

edward#5859 Well-Known Member

I have no words other than yes
    Especially the GCR

20. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I ask this every time but I must know:
    Where the hell do people find these old threads?

21. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

In the bottomless pit?

• Like Like x 1
  22. joffonon#1689

joffonon#1689 Active Member

I guess they do a search and don't look at how old the thread is? When I wanted to post the c2c (aka London, Tilbury & Southend Line) as a suggestion, I searched and added my comments to the most recent decent-looking suggestion thread for that line, rather than add yet another new thread.

23. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

Definitely the Severn Valley Railway I live not far from Kidderminster so it would be great to have it in the game

• Like Like x 1