PC West Cornwall Local: Penzance - St. Austell & St Ives - The Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2021.

1. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Bought it.
    -AWS is completely broken. Buzzes on some green lights and "dings" on speed limit changes.
    - AWS Sunflower doesn't go out on "ding". AWS Sunflower shifts about 10 degrees after acknowledgement. LOL.
    -Sounds are...tolerable... except some of the flanging sounds that sound like twisting a clown balloon made of Styrofoam.
    -Can't enter the train through the end door but you can open it. Cool!
    -Tutorial narrator sounds like he's loaded on Valium.
    -Car washer sounds disappear...when you still in the washer.
    -Ice cream? Seriously?
    -The less said about the schedule the better.

Congratulations Rivet/DTG on a job...
    done.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

They've really managed to make half of Cornwall look like a deep forest. A very impressive upgrade from Arosa, but not quite realistic... The towering trees on both sides of the track make the route a bit dull as every bend looks like the next one. They've even forested most of the fields and villages to the point you don't even notice them, or they're missing completely. There's just no variation, no views over the hills and no towns that would make this line more interesting to drive on. Well I have to say that the western half looks quite a bit better compared to the eastern half. It's clear to me that this is a poor representation of Cornwall (and I've never even been there), which is a shame as it looks like a nice area.

Trees everywhere are one of my biggest pet-peeves with TSW. Even DTG often does that, but to a lesser extent than what we see here. Urban areas on HRR and DRA are forested for some reason, and all views over the fields on SKA are just blocked by a wall of trees. Not to mention the entirely fictional forest on LGV. Vegetation is in my opinion the most important part of the scenery and somehow it often feels wrong and generic in TSW.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think you are right, Snek. Had my first foray along the Boston route yesterday evening. The urban scenery is very well done, not the MSTS standard of Rivet, but as soon as you leave the city yes it’s trees everywhere. Random trees and houses scattered is an oft used mechanic in the older sim route editors especially if doing freeware or time is short, but really more thought needs to go into creating the payware, especially for a som which doesn’t confine you to the forward cab view.

• Like Like x 5
  4. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Yes, that trees thing is thé most problematic IMO, even more in a scenic, known DLC like WCL.
    And they are TS dlc or even freeware that do a better job. I know the engine is not the same, and maybe that point us for what is possible and what is not with UE.

5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Trouble is that if we encourage them to remove trees they will respond with more tree stumps...

• Like Like x 4
  6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I entirely agree with everything you say about Rivet and their route building.

DTG and Rivet should stand up and be counted. WCL should not have been released until it is properly finished. The St. Ives Branch Line is a poor example in relation to the other DTG routes currently available. Totally incorrect on scenery.

In my opinion although I like some of what they have done, but Rivet still have work to do to correct IoW and Arosa as well as their latest offering WCL. When it was delayed a fortnight, I had hoped they would correct the glaring errors in the scenery design!!!

If I were to score Cathcart, East Coastway and London Commuter at 80%. Arosa would score 55%, IoW 45%, West Cornwall 25%

West Cornwall for a realistic design is the worst route released to date and an embarrassment on the design team involved.

fezza, I would like to hope, that they will continue to work on it, but I doubt it. For all the wonderful beauty in the real surroundings of the West Cornwall route it’s a shame that they haven’t captured it. Had they done a decent job, I know they would have sold a lot more copies. I play TSW2 on PC and Xbox but will only buy one copy. WCL is not even worth spending more than 50% of the cost.

Come on RIVET, do something about it and make this route totally acceptable to the Train Sim Community. It’s about time you proved you can be better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Well hopefully they get the route and train mechanics right for Their next dlc Noddy's Toy town railway

• Like Like x 2
  8. fezza

fezza Active Member

I think DTG need to have a serious conversation with Rivet about their policy of ignoring the problems with broken routes. DTG clearly want this game to expand and have a long future but it won't if they allow third party developers to turn out routes that are universally panned by critics. WCL and Arosa need major improvements before Rivet are allowed to touch anything else and trash the TSW brand even further.

• Like Like x 2
  9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Take the trees from WCL and plonk them on the mountains on Arosa. Simples.

• Like Like x 6
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

There is as much chance or Rivet fixing a route that isn't going to earn them a decent cash injection as there is this....

[​IMG]

They will need to focus on a near on perfect next DLC with sounds, visuals, near scenery, distant scenery and a better working train to get their reputation back now, not IOW or Arosa. They're dead dogs.

• Like Like x 7
  11. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

As TSW2 evolves, the future routes and locomotives should be of an exceptable standard. Not asking for perfection, but all future routes should look more realistic than WCL. The future of TSW2 is important to gamers and future new gamers, DTG set a benchmark standard that the last route issued doesn’t meet. For £24.99 we should expect to receive a route with fewer bugs and designed to look more lifelike.

• Like Like x 9
  12. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

One of the problems, IMO, with TSW, is that as there is not a lot of routes published, the one that are need to be good, or very good.

In TS20XX a bad route will not sell well and will be forgotten, in TSW each route is awaited and will create à backlash if not meeting expectations. Particularly with a scenic route well known like WCL.

TSW2 can't afford to have routes that are worse than their TS20XX counterparts, they are already far shorter so each one have to be very good.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I suppose this is one of the issues with doing routes already in TS1. I'd much rather they do routes that aren't in TS1 like Northern TransPennine or East Coastway, or doing routes that are in TS1 but are so old it'd be very difficult for them to do a worse job, such as Bath-Templecombe or Newcastle-York, instead of doing routes that've been done in TS1 relatively recently, such as LGV Med or Reisa-Dresden.

14. OldVern

Also with TS, there's always the possibility for route builders that some of the assets might come in useful to reference in your own personal projects. Though of course Rivet don't like us doing that either and frequently lock down their assets so they can't be manipulated in the editor, unless you faff about with RW Tools to open the ap file then change the pickable property of each and every asset you want to use.

15. chieflongshin

The quandary I am finding more is the temptation to buy for TS. The issue I have with that is I am trading off visuals and realism which I like a lot, along with the trains for something so old. I just sincerely hope we get more dresden routes which are more interesting, crossovers, branch lines, main lines.

Maybe I am too early to the TSW party hoping there will be some more routes which effectively take a huge chunk of the network(s) and pull them together into a train sim "world" rather than a train sim "route"

I know its a lot of work and likely a while away. In the interim I just hope we get more of

Joe quality time tables
    Dresden quality routes
    Germany layer variety
    DB101 quality trains.

I love this game but it sometimes feels a bit safe and predictable when something is released.

BURN THE ELECTROSTAR ROUTE PLANS FOR 18 MONTHS! ;)

• Like Like x 7
  16. OldVern

Yes it's a bit of a quandary. I must admit to secretly quite enjoying the Boston route in TSW2 (weird sudden speed limits and silent cab car notwithstanding) but thoughts wander to dropping back over to TS and running the similar New Haven route which I bought but never played much. The problem is, as soon as you get back to TS you are limited to whatever scenarios the route author decided to put in there, or spend hours trying to create your own. Save/restore issues aside, TSW gives you a whole day of operations to choose from plus the ability to jump off one train and join another. I suspect that's one reason why DTG would never add a timetable mode to TS as it would pose a serious threat to TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clumsy Pacer

The other reason being it would likely require a huge upheaval of the thing that there'd be basically no point, if we're going anything like TSW's service mode, unless you just have a series of scenarios that form a "day in the life" thing.

I think this is one of the many reasons they decided to build a new game from scratch. I think they did try it in TS1 (if you create a scenario and select "timetable" I believe that's what it is) many years ago, where you have a given start time and can take over any AI train, but it didn't work.

18. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

I still sim in TS aswell as tsw2 for wherry lines route , new castle to York , settle to carsline the ap class 142 , the excellent ap class 150/2 , the ap class 158 Cummins enhancement pack absolutely brilliant more immersive and realistic simulation wise than the majority of tsw2 locos especially audio wise

19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Potential £££ for any developer who wants to produce a Valenta/BR HST add-on for DLGW which would also layer into this one

20. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

The reason we won't get these is because it requires work. Something DTG/Rivet seemingly claim to dislike. Especially with the 3rd party content they are allowing to release on a 50% state. I've learnt my lesson now, do not buy from this half a***d company.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

The AP stuff is great but finding all the stock requirements for a scenario that uses it is a rabbit hole I have been down, and don't wish to repeat (cost, time etc). Timetable mode and layers is TSW2's saving grace and it's hard to go back.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Clumsy Pacer

Also TSW is much more dynamic in handling you having given requirements. Unless you have everything, TS1 will throw an error and potentially breaking the thing, whereas TSW just doesn't show that train.

23. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

This guy sums it up for me.

I haven't purchased it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Some phantom breaking from the Class 150, anyone else noticed it? Apologies for the quality. :)

Train is slowing down in notch 7, no matter what. As you can see the breaks are fully released (both the handle and the pressure is visible in the video). Checked the rear cab, everything seems normal. What kind of QA did Rivet do before released this?

25. OldVern

Apparently the station cat at Truro gave the thumbs up... :love:

• Like Like x 2
  26. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Yeah I do get what saying ....unfortunately it's the only quality 150/2 we have in the train simulation universe apart from bev. I love to be able to move away completely from TS but the quality , audio , the interactivity and simulation of systems in cab we don't we have dsmr , there's no sprinter trains , paced are not even there yet , not enough routes , route lengths

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  27. chieflongshin

Im really pleased someone else had picked up on this. I run with no hud so initially put it down to hills but it seems like that and the 37 go off like a rocket and then slow down . I've no idea if it's a genuine characteristic but it's like there's a head wind and suddenly the 30% throttle you had isn't good enough

• Like Like x 1
  28. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Were you chaps getting this issue on the Cornish Circle scenario?
    The Chief found it was due to leaving the safety systems on the opposing cab. Try turning off DSD (and AWS for good measure) in the other cab before setting off.

• Like Like x 1
  29. chieflongshin

Every time I play this I find something else :mad:

Playing a slow ride scenario everything was working ok. Bit of a ballache having to run about the yards flicking switches. Yes it should be there but it didnt seem to work from the map screen whereas DTG have this right and it does, same with the 8 cam and doing the wagons.
    anyhow I got bored of driving at 2.7mph laying ballast last night as Call of Duty Multiplayer called. I saved it to come back to it this morning, now picking up where I left off it's totally different weather (snow vs sun) which then disappeared a minute later.

Also the ballast dropping animation has gone. Anyhow I shall go back to the game now and see how much longer I have, hopefully a mile further forward in game whilst I've typed this.

In addition if you are on the 8 cam near a route map I have seen instances (St Erth) being one whereby the route map disappears depending on whether you spin the mouse wheel to zoom camera in our out in places. See below its 2 seconds and one mouse wheel spin apart and it appears again. This was on the slow ride scenario

Screenshot (22).png Screenshot (23).png

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  30. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Great video - agree with everything he says. ‘Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole’ is the best summary ever for this DLC

• Like Like x 1
  31. chieflongshin

londonmidland this ones for you. I'm sure you will see straight away but as you love the tunnel lighting as much as me I thought i'd share this one of the 150 on the way to Truro

;)

Screenshot (24).png

32. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Didnt have much Time to drive the new cornwall Route yet because of my "no HUD Chart" for WSR, so while most of the people talk about the 150, i decided to test the new 37 with its new Seacow and Turbot wagons in a 3 Part WSR Construction Scenario, which is focused on track works.

In my opinion Rivet made a good job with both the Turbot and the Seacow Wagons. Its just fun to drive them arround and the sounds are well done too (not too quiet etc..) Its possible to open the side doors of the turbot and the wheels on the seacow so ballast is coming out. Both have handbrakes too. Rivet made mistakes with the Cornwall release, but this one they got right.

Here few pics of my scenario "WSR Construction Part 1-3":

Part 1: Night delivery of the loaded Turbot Wagons to Washford (The 37 has failed at Washford Station "Brake selector RunAway", so it got rescued back to Taunton)

TSW2_Meridian_WSR_Construction_Part1.jpg

Part 2: The other morning, driving a Pair of class 20 & cl37 "thornaby demon" to Washford, with the Ballast and empty flat wagons to put the tracks on.

TSW2_Meridian_WSR_Construction_Part2.jpg

Part 3: Shunting at Washford and finish the preparation of the Cunstruction works, which will begin soon:

TSW2_Meridian_WSR_Construction_Part3.jpg

Rivet should definetly do more Wagons. They could do Freight packs (modern & Era based) with new Wagons and layers to different Routes, so DTG could also include them for future Routes.

• Like Like x 6
  33. Clumsy Pacer

Does it use the new trees that are grey in the distance when it's snowy, or are they pure white until you're really close?

34. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Wow, at least that’s something they’ve got right ;)

35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's weird what he chooses to get exercised over, though: the fact that TSW abstracts the absent guard and gives the driver fictional door-control buttons is a commonplace - even on vintage trains with slam-door coaches - and it's a bit odd to bring this up as a distinctive failure of the Rivet 150.

36. chieflongshin

I challenge the community to find something other than a sales post about this route from Rivet which acknowledges anything recent. They are the pariah emu (bird not train) of dlc. Head firmly in the sand

• Like Like x 1
  37. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say in the sand. More like up their own... Assets...

• Like Like x 1
  38. ghawk2005

Well they have to fix the acceleration ! It’s crazy fast to 30mph 0-10mph is seriously doing my head in.

39. chieflongshin

I've noticed this too. It almost feels like an instant pull off. The train doesn't seem like it's working against any load. It's similar going up hill too , its just like it revs and I don't get the perception its loaded up. Almost like its being revved in neutral.

40. ghawk2005

It is truly awful. Such a terrible oversight. The class 166 does it too. There are loads of technical errors too such as the DSD shouldn’t be triggering if you are braking, it’s only if no controls are used for a minute as far as I’m aware. Throttle notches all should be available in brake step 1 but none in brake step 2 or 3, Still accelerates in notch 1 at 75mph. Losing hope of any of this ever being fixed though :(

41. Clumsy Pacer

I thought it depends on the type of train - on some it goes off every 30/60 seconds regardless, and on others it's based on controls being used.

42. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe they're talking about the 150/2 specifically... Seems to be their recent pet project

43. OldVern

I take it other than the very brief mention in the recent stream, there is still no action plan or timescale from Rivet or DTG to fix the various issues..?

44. Clumsy Pacer

I wouldn't expect anything until the Arosa fix finally appears.

45. chieflongshin

Jasper_Rivet are you able to confirm please if anything else will be patched with this DLC or if this is will be put to bed and the next route/loco being focused on? There's a lot in this thread and I could not see anything on the Rivet forums which eluded to much?

Thank you.

46. Clumsy Pacer

Fair enough, I'm not sure on the 150, however I did travel on one a few months back and don't remember hearing it that often (this was a Northern unit) - did they even have DVDs in the 1990s? I thought it was just DSD.

47. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

150/2s were fitted with DVD as built, /0s and /1s were not, although some have been retrofitted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Here is a detailed instruction manual of the 150, also with a explanation & drawing of the transmission and torq converters

http://locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/150-1--150-2GeneralInfoDrivingInstructions-1987.htm

I made a bug & feedback thread in the rivet forums directly. There i pointed out that the cl.150 is basicly missing many features, which are standard in tsw2 a long time

https://forums.rivet-games.com/forum/general-chat-en/5837-west-cornwall-local-bugs-fixes

So beside the physics:

- guard panel inoperative (same panel of the 313 and 314 is nice modeled and working)

- no local engine start & stop (the 150 has a similar system like the 101, where the dmu can be started from outside (well modeled and working in the class 101)

- battery isolation & aux battery isolstion switches not implemented ( almost every single loco in tsw2 have working battery isolstion switches by now, even on 3rd rail trains its possible to raise the shoes and cut the aux power. ) Not working in rivets 150.

- preheat and traction interlock not operative. (Below -10 degrees you would preheat the engine and start from outside, also even the mk2 72 tube stock has traction interlock, so you can obverride the sensors and move a train with open doors. ) not working on the 150...

I also pointed out the case with the auto changing brake selector. This topic has even a separate thread.

49. ghawk2005

CAA36AC4-9F82-4671-BE0A-7276253D3589.jpeg As I thought - another technical error. Taken from the manual ( thanks for sharing that )

Knew it ! Brake lever will reset the DSD so it shouldn’t continue to beep while you’re braking.

all I do when driving this piece of crap is find more and more errors.

• Like Like x 2
  50. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

At this point, is it even worth mentioning the bugs/mistakes as Rivet don't seem interested in the slightest at resolving these issues?

Their communication is absolutely terrible, so at this point, I'm just gonna say the 150 is a write-off. Not that I was expecting them to fix the issues in the first place.

• Like Like x 7