Horseshoe Curve Loco Additions [prr]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Challenger3985, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Might as well have some fun with this idea that a few have wished for (probably because it's the same route from TS1, but in a different era). I know this seems farfetched to suggest something like this for a modern route (even after the Diesel Legends pack), but I thought why not give it a shot for which locos to fit in the PRR era (mostly, from the transitional period.) if possible. Why Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) you may wonder, it seems fitting to drive some classic diesels that once gone through this route back in the old days before Penn Central (PC) or Conrail (CR). So here we go:

EMD GP9
    showimage.jpg
    Built: 1955-1959
    Units: 270 (8 batches)
    Now, many have been requesting some high hooded road-switchers, like the GP7 for Clinchfield (not surprising). So I thought, a GP9 would be a nice fit for long hauls across the mountains (even if there're helpers at the back). Plus, if done right, there's already a GP9 (PRR #7408) sitting on display at the base of the curve. So it wouldn't be too hard to just add in a simugraph engine to this unit.

EMD F7
    showimage (1).jpg
    Built: 1949-1952
    Units: A: 122 (8 batches) B: 76 (9 Batches)
    To keep in the PRR classic, yes, I'm throwing in the F7 as it has already been modeled into TSW. But this is not another just a reskin to this unit actually, as PRR designed some of the locos to have, what's called a Trainphone, on top of the roof (basically, old-fashioned radio antennas), making these locos to be a little more unique than your average common models. And they can be used for, if possible, not only freight hauls, but passengers as well (a long shot from that, but it's just to apease a few passenger lovers).

EMD SD45
    tr_prr6200a.jpg
    Built: 1966-1968
    Units: 130 (5 batches)
    So, yes, after another SD40-2 to be put on another route (and yes, I'm talking about Sherman Hill), I say enough is enough. I would like to see something new and different from the SD family than something that's already been done before (besides the F7 in here of course), and the SD45 seems like a perfect fit if the timetable was recreated from the 1960s. It would be suitable to see not only the old streamliner diesels but a mix with some hooded units as well (I could also throw in some GP35s, but that's enough EMD to choose for this route).

For now, that's my idea if Horseshoe Curve can have a backdated loco pack like Diesel Legends (like I said may not be possible, but it's just for fun). And I know PRR has a big roster of diesels in the past (from EMD/BLW/ALCo/FM/GE), but well see if this thread's worth it to list more in the end though. But hopefully, you did have yourself a good read. And don't hesitate to comment on this as well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea but here's the Catch is that DTG will use CSX Clinchfield F7A as the base model then reskin that to PRR Paint for Horseshoe Curve without adding PRR Specific modification to a Trainphone. The SD45 uses Sand Patch Grade SD-40-2 base then Reskinned to PRR paint or SD-40/SD-45 Clinchfield RR base to be reskinned into PRR paint. That is how DTG has been doing US and Canadian locomotives in-game is by reskinning base locomotives to fit the new routes.

3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Nice suggestions though. Would get every single of them as a dlc too.

Im not sure how much the route has changed over time since the 50s/60s. Even if the tracks would be still the same, buildings look different after half a century. (But im not from the us, so not sure about the curve).

People here are asking in which time period it would acting.
    So my guess is its modern because in the roadmap says the supported locos are an ES44AC and GP38-2.

Screenshot_20211101-053647_Chrome.jpg

4. Challenger3985

Yes, I know it's gonna be in the modern era. Hence why I put in the Diesel Legends Pack as an example (classic diesels in a modern route). I know this may not be perfect, but this is just an idea if the route's timetable can be seperated for classic locos to be on a route from a different era, the same way the GWB was designed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Gwe also got backdated by modders. Im sure would be possible too with hhc.

So 2 seperate timetables is probably the best solution and would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

One take was removed and replaced with an access road. Everything else is ecentualy the same. The change is clearly visible on the virtual railfan camera

7. Challenger3985

Well, with Horseshoe Curve at Upcoming on the roadmap, might as well add in some more locos to the PRR roster while at it. But this time, gonna kick it up a notch, streamliner style. So I got a few that would really make things interesting to drive on (and at least it'll be "Not Just a Reskin" either):

Baldwin RF-16
    prr_baldwin_rf16.jpg
    Built: 1951-1952
    Units: A: 72 B: 31
    To start off, I'm suggesting this Sharknoe of a diesel (nicknamed after the PRR T1 design) that hauls a lot of coal across PRR (and other freight, obviously). And while yes this would be a challenge to recreate (especially from the only two D&H survivors that are in storage for now), I mean, how hard can it be to recreate a 608A engine for this beast (hopefully not the same way DTM did it from TS1).

ALCo PA-1/FA-1
    PRR_5756_A-Pb.jpg
    PRR_PA1_5757_in_DGLE.png
    Built: PA:1947/FA: 1948, 1950
    Units: PA: 10 (2 batches)/PB: 4 (3 batches) FA: 8/FB: 8 (both in 2 batches)
    Ah, the infamous streamliners from ALCo (of course one is better than the other). But why these two? Well to put it simply, FA can haul freight, while the PA can operate passengers (if possible, but might end up doing freight as well) across the Appalachian mountain. Like the Sharknose, it's a long shot to see them in TSW2, but would be worth it if done right. (they may not look different on the body, but the PA has a 6-axle truck/bogie, while the FA has 4-axles)

EMD E7/E8
    showimage (2).jpg
    showimage (3).jpg
    Built: 1945, 1947-1949 (E7s) 1950-1951 (E8)
    Units: E7A: 46 (5 batches)/E7B: 14 (3 batches) E8A: 75
    And lastly, the motherload of EMD streamliners, the E-Units. If a passenger train on HSC was possible, then this will the right candidate for the job. Granted, there are not that many that have been preserved (only a few), let alone still operational to run. But, it's still an idea nevertheless and would be a lot more different than the F-units to drive on.

Now, I know these ones I selected might be a shot in the dark to recreate. But again, these ideas are just for fun if many wanted to see this route have a backdated timetable to the PRR era. But for now, well see if the route is really worth it once we see the first screenshots of it soon.

8. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to suggest the PRR FM H-24-66 Trainmaster, Baldwin Centipede, Alco RSD15, and SD7/9.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  9. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

I think I said it before but E8 5711 and 5809 would be great. They could fit the modern era as both are restored and at least until PTC was implemented had fairly regular excursions around Horshoe Curve. I think it would be cool to set this route during Altoona railfest and have the excursions as regular service.