What Is The Point Releasing West Cornwall When It Isn't Done?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by traynMaster, Nov 4, 2021.

1. traynMaster

traynMaster New Member

Why did dovetail release the west cornwall route when it is not finished?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

You mean it's still not finished despite then holding it back several weeks?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Care to explain what you mean?

• Like Like x 4
  4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It is finished. Doesn’t mean to say there can’t be future improvements though as there are with DTG routes.

or is this just another Rivet bashing post?

• Like Like x 6
  5. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Rivet made a fantastic 44 mile 1990s route and it is just that. It seems finished to me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This is about as helpful as the suggestion posts along the lines of "ME likes trains"
    Please could you give some detail as to what you think is not yet completed to your accepted standard so we have some clue as to what you're on about?

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

It’s finished as far as Rivet are concerned. So many discrepancies and omissions in scenery. Doesn’t look right or Cornish.

Rivet have done an excellent job on the locomotives and Stations, but failed to produce a realistic route. Wish DTG or skyhook had produced it.

I have TSW2 on pc and xbox but will not be buying it for my xbox.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of negativity about this route more so than the design of the Stations and Locomotives with are modelled extremely well. It’s just a shame Rivet didn’t concentrate on getting the route looking right before release. Had they done so, they would have produced a stunning product.

There is not a lot of work to do, so hopefully Rivet will continue to work on it and issue an update. Am I being optimistic that this will happen. Yes probably, as I cannot see Rivet bothering to improve WCL.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  10. Boris The Frog

Boris The Frog Active Member

A lot of the negativity is purely down to the fact it's Rivet Games and I'd go as far as to say that, train issues aside, this negativity would have been nowhere near as intense if DTG had developed the route. Look at LGV for example. From the mid stopping point (I forget it's name) heading towards Avignon the scenery is absolutely shocking for pretty much the entire 40 miles and despite this fact I don't ever recall comment after comment pointing this out, so to express dismay at a poorly represented golf course or the wrong amount of trackside trees doesn't really make any sense when you look at the bigger picture.

The only thing wrong with Rivet Games is their previous post-launch attitude in the sense that (borrowing a very appropriate quote from a PC user) "once they have your money it's game over" and it's clear & obvious that above everything else is the root cause of all problems . IoW and Arosa were terrible in both quality and post-launch support so therefore WCL will suffer the same fate. Because WCL is of greater quality than Rivet's previous releases, again with train issues aside, the community have to go to greater lengths to find fault with it. Rivet may indeed break tradition by addressing some key issues but historically (apart from the SEHS fence thing) trackside details are never addressed so come Rivet's 4th release we're all back to square one with "well, you didn't do this and this and this with WCL so I'm not touching [insert next route]".

I don't sympathise with Rivet (it's their own problem in the making) but judging from comments in other sections of the forum you sometimes get the feeling this level of criticism doesn't really reflect the current situation. To put it another way: A friend and I went to South Wales (Ystradgynlais to be precise) in the early 1980's and because it was a very close-knit community there was an inescapable almost hatred-like disliking towards us because we didn't belong there....and that's the exact same feeling I get when reading some of those comments.

I'll end with something slightly off topic. Why is it that when I view the forums logged out on my XBox they work ok, but as soon as I log in they are dial-up modem slow with frequent 'the forum are no longer taking new sign-ups' (or words to that effect) error messages? I'm really baffled as to why this has started happening....

• Like Like x 2
  11. junior hornet

I think another issue is that the members of this forum probably constitute a small percentage of the people who buy the routes and are naturally, those who care the most about accuracy (the old simulator vs game debate) and therefore the loudest.

The many, more casual gamers probably aren’t bothered as long as they can jump into a train and drive it along an approximation of the line. With certain routes, that is inevitable for most of us as we are not all familiar with the individual lines. For example, I enjoy Munich - Augsburg but haven’t a clue how accurate the scenery is compared to real life.

As long as they are selling software in large enough quantities and a majority of players are not complaining, they will be happy with this level of accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think the other side of this coin though is the hardcore people make the game better and pick up a lot of the niggles the console players may have walked from or been unaware of resulting in a lower quality project

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Thing is that "quality" is based on perspective, so for one person a game might be quality if they get an hour long "driving a train" on a route that looks familiar enough (probably somewhere they don't live, or go very often) whereas there are people with more strident ways of putting their views who'll shout from the hills until they're acknowledged
    It's much more likely that people who want to should would find forums like this rather than sitting at home idly traipsing through some sort of OK scenery

14. junior hornet

Absolutely.